Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 12:12 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by aasilvia
So just wanted to give my thoughts on the installation and quality of the Rennkit. I received it yesterday and installed it almost immediately. Guess I just couldn't stand having no bluetooth anymore..

The installation itself is fairly straightforward. Rennkit's videos pretty much did all the heavy lifting for me. The challenge for me was just pulling the factory unit out. Be careful when turning those black hexes. It really is counterclockwise to push the metal tab in. As for the 12v power source, the one located in the passenger footwell worked for me (I also managed to cross up the positive and negative wires here, but no harm done). My biggest issue was being able to use the SD Card, Aux and USB but turns out (like others), the best place to put the unit itself really is at the base behind the carpet piece that has 1 30m torx head screw. It's easy enough to get to should you need it. I also routed the USB cable and Aux cable along the center tunnel up into the glove box from behind the glove box and then into the glove box. Nice and tidy and where I plan to keep my phone or aux related music devices anyway. As for the mic, I ran that up to the center of the windshield at the top mounted to the left of the controls in that area. I did pull the A pillar and some weatherstripping to route the mic wire and keep it hidden. Again, nothing too challenging.

As for the features, they're great. Made some test calls and everyone I called said they could hear me crystal clear. My 997 has the factory pcm 2.1 with bose and cd changer, but the phone features on the headunit work. You can dial out using the keypad as well as use the phone buttons to call or hang up. The display shows the numbers you're calling. Switching from aux to BT is a bit awkward but easy enough to learn.

Definitely worth getting if you want to keep the factory unit but will never use the CD changer and need bluetooth and a phone. Oh and you get the added bonus of a USB port with charging for your devices.
Glad the install of your BTR-3 kit worked out! Honestly after selling nearly a thousand of these, nobody has come back and asked where can I mount the BTR-3 module so that I can use the SD card or USB port. You found a solution!
Bluetooth Retrofit Kit - (rennkit.com)
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 03-25-2023, 07:00 PM
srb1194
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine is located in the glove box. It works well in there.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:32 PM
docman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default no power

I bought a Mr12volt P600 for my 987.1 - Bose with Nav, no CD changer, hands free microphone that I switched to a new Enfig microphone mounted in the steering column shroud (I'm trying to maintain an OEM look as much as possible).

I used Easy-taps on the factory PCM plug for the ground & power but I can't get the Mr12volt unit to power up - no LED indicators lit or "Car Kit" showing when doing a Bluetooth search on my phone yet my multimeter shows good power/ground at the P600 plug sockets. I'm guessing I have a defective unit and frustrated because I'm not getting support from Mr12volt.
Any ideas?

Last edited by docman; 06-26-2023 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-2023, 08:39 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by docman
I bought a Mr12volt P600 for my 987.1 - Bose with Nav, no CD changer, hands free microphone that I switched to a new Enfig microphone mounted in the steering column shroud (I'm trying to maintain an OEM look as much as possible).

I used Easy-taps on the factory PCM plug for the ground & power but I can't get the Mr12volt unit to power up - no LED indicators lit or "Car Kit" showing when doing a Bluetooth search on my phone yet my multimeter shows good power/ground at the P600 plug sockets. I'm guessing I have a defective unit and frustrated because I'm not getting support from Mr12volt.
Any ideas?
I had a horrible time w/ the taps so I just stripped the ground and power wires and soldered the connections. If you have a VOM you check to see if you’re getting power at the MR12Volt unit.

I’d try that before returning the unit.

good luck with it.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:43 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Any ideas?
Did you get a quick flash of the Red LED when you power it on? If so, it's working. Make sure the dip switches are set correctly as well.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:15 PM
docman
Advanced

Thanks Dave!

A quick flash of the LED???? I was looking for a constant light.
Also, what about no Bluetooth signal emitted / detection on phone? That seems indicative of the unit not powered up.

​​​​​​​I was told by Mr12V to try turning off DIP4 & reset. I tried multiple DIP settings. Do you know which is correct for my configuration (Bose with no CD changer but hands free Phone Module)?
According to the enclosed instructions, it seems the 1st 3 DIP are for +/- dB?!?

Also, when & if I get to that point considering I can get power, where do I engage the MOST loop to bypass the factory phone module?
Old 06-26-2023, 10:41 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

A few thoughts:

Do you have the MR12v unit hooked up to a constant 12v source? I learned the hard way on my install that a switched one doesn’t work (i theorize that the box doesn’t come online on time to handshake correctly on the MOST loop).

If you have the factory phone module, it should be under the passenger seat—you’ll need to unplug it and put a fiber optic loop plug in its back place.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:19 AM
docman
Advanced

[QUOTE If you have a VOM you check to see if you’re getting power at the MR12Volt unit.

.[/QUOTE]

I wish it were that simple. As stated in my initial post, checking for power/ground at the unit's plug sockets with my multimeter was the 1st troubleshooting activity.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:33 AM
docman
Advanced

Originally Posted by sburke91
A few thoughts:

Do you have the MR12v unit hooked up to a constant 12v source?

If you have the factory phone module, it should be under the passenger seat—you’ll need to unplug it and put a fiber optic loop plug in its back place.
Thanks for the location of where to use the phone module loop. Neither the unit's instructions or any YouTube mentions that.

I tapped the PCM plug wires for power/ground (using Easy Taps per Enfig YouTube recommendations) & ensured the power was a constant 12v source with my multimeter.

I notice that the car's fiber optic outbound cable blinks red, which I was told is as it should.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:53 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Dave!

A quick flash of the LED???? I was looking for a constant light.
Also, what about no Bluetooth signal emitted / detection on phone? That seems indicative of the unit not powered up.

I was told by Mr12V to try turning off DIP4 & reset. I tried multiple DIP settings. Do you know which is correct for my configuration (Bose with no CD changer but hands free Phone Module)?
According to the enclosed instructions, it seems the 1st 3 DIP are for +/- dB?!?

Also, when & if I get to that point considering I can get power, where do I engage the MOST loop to bypass the factory phone module?
  1. Power Up: Yes, quick flash of red LED when powered up. Once you have the head unit switched to CDC, the red LED stays on. The blue LED will be on when paired.
  2. Dip Switches: Which head unit do you have in your 987.1? If the CDR24, the car MUST have the CD Changer for the module to work. We do have a potential programming work around but it may not work for all cars.
  3. Factory Phone Module: Usually under the passenger seat if your car indeed has this option.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:20 PM
docman
Advanced

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
  1. Power Up: Yes, quick flash of red LED when powered up. Once you have the head unit switched to CDC, the red LED stays on. The blue LED will be on when paired.
  2. Dip Switches: Which head unit do you have in your 987.1? If the CDR24, the car MUST have the CD Changer for the module to work. We do have a potential programming work around but it may not work for all cars.
  3. Factory Phone Module: Usually under the passenger seat if your car indeed has this option.
Thanks for the info Dave, you likely know this product better than anyone! We spoke about a year ago regarding the BTR-3PM but I apparently didn't save your phone number. Unfortunately Mr12Volt had a Black Friday sale last year that I jumped on. Penny wise, dollar foolish. The YouTube videos made the installation look so easy & trouble free not realizing that I would have this much trouble aside from Mr12Volt customer service being 'less than stellar'.
I realize that you aren't obligated to help me since I didn't purchase from you, but it might be easier if you could PM me your phone number so I have it again?!?

My head unit is either a PCM -2 or PCM-2.1 (I don't know the differences) per the Rennkit product website - BOSE with Nav & hands free phone module, no CD changer.

You mention that once the head unit switched to CDC, the red light stays on. What is CDC? And is that also required before the unit emits a Bluetooth signal for my phone to recognize?

And what about bypassing the factory phone module with the supplied fiber optic loop? Does that also need to occur before the unit functions? I ask because I had all connections engaged (other than the phone loop) to test the unit before buttoning everything up. That's when I was surprised the unit wasn't functioning. I even tried the 3.5 cord to my phone since it wasn't sending a Bluetooth signal for pairing. If memory serves, all 4 DIP switches were set to 'ON' as shipped, Mr12Volt suggested turning #4 'OFF'. Still nothing with the P600 although the CD player & radio worked, although they seemed to be quieter than I remembered. Maybe it was just because the doors were open.

Going forward, what are the appropriate DIP settings?

Bob Harris
Old 10-06-2023, 10:49 AM
gdonn7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love this kit , wish I installed it sooner! Tapped the passenger plug so as soon as I open the door the thing gets power and my phone connects to Bluetooth. I have a rattle/vibration behind the radio now lol, when I install the Enfig mic, that I just discovered in this thread, I’ll give it a once over.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:59 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by dropteeth
Hi Guys,

long time lurker- I have spent hours looking over the bluetooth threads and purchased the Isimple tranzit blutooth adapter (for sale btw)- I haven't installed it yet and decided to change to the Mr12volt as this seems like its the better way to go. My question is why are most people installing it behind the PCM instead of in the Frunk replacing the CD changer and using the power source from there? am I missing something? there are a couple of openings to get the mic through the firewall so to me this is the most logical spot to install it. Out of the countless threads i think only 2 people have done this? what am i missing?
I just installed this and it works great in my 997.1 ... I mounted it in the passenger footwell .. so easy to mount there and easily accessible if needed and out of sight . QUESTION -as mentioned the system works perfectly. When initially powered up my radio says "Phone Module Not Available" ?? until I hit CD or Phone ... Is this normal ? I do not have a phone module and I have disabled the Phone Module Via the Gateway , Otherwise everything works great ....
Old 05-18-2024, 10:35 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fantastic product and support is just WOW!

Fantastic product and support is just WOW!
First, I ordered wrong version, guy at Mr
12volt called me, confirmed and correct version in my hands three days later!

had issues installing- none anyone’s fault but mine - emailed them today SATURDAY mind you. Within an hour he called, walked me through it and two other calls + texts! Beyond superlative support!

CarPlay works great. While I’d rather have a larger screen and higher resolution, wanted to retain stock look and after market head units are $1,000+

mark me satisfied!
Old 05-19-2024, 08:21 PM
docman
Advanced

Originally Posted by finally!
Fantastic product and support is just WOW!
First, I ordered wrong version, guy at Mr
12volt called me, confirmed and correct version in my hands three days later!

had issues installing- none anyone’s fault but mine - emailed them today SATURDAY mind you. Within an hour he called, walked me through it and two other calls + texts! Beyond superlative support!

CarPlay works great. While I’d rather have a larger screen and higher resolution, wanted to retain stock look and after market head units are $1,000+

mark me satisfied!
Same great experience & I understand the new PCCM+ head units aren't even Bluetooth wireless.
Yes the MR12Volt aren't the most intuitive but with the added microphone in the steering wheel shroud, it does everything I wanted while looking completely stock.

Quick Reply: Mr12volt