Sponsored by:

Battery maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 01:39 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
When my 10 years old Porsche branded CTEK behaved erratically earlier this year, I ordered a NOCO genius5 and been very happy with it since. The CTEK design is at least 10 years old and I wanted newer design and technology so I decided to give NOCO a try
Mine's not even a year old. Grrr.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:47 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 129 Posts

Porsche sells the CTEK and puts their name on it. Just check out the CTEK website and get the newest one with normal and AGM settings. Then you're covered.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:15 PM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by bheit1
Porsche sells the CTEK and puts their name on it. Just check out the CTEK website and get the newest one with normal and AGM settings. Then you're covered.
Very disappointed with my Porsche branded CTEK. Didn’t get a year out of it before it started acting wonky. Bought the NOCO Genius 5 and started using it today. Comes with battery clamps and eyelets so I bought the 12V male plug accessory for the cigarette lighter and footwell accessory port. Also bought the 10 foot extension accessory. One really nice feature on the Genius plug accessory is a red led light that indicates when there is voltage on the port. I don’t believe the 997 sleeps the cigarette lighter port like the 991 does but the manual still recommends locking the car when you have the tender on.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:54 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
Very disappointed with my Porsche branded CTEK. Didn’t get a year out of it before it started acting wonky. Bought the NOCO Genius 5 and started using it today. Comes with battery clamps and eyelets so I bought the 12V male plug accessory for the cigarette lighter and footwell accessory port. Also bought the 10 foot extension accessory. One really nice feature on the Genius plug accessory is a red led light that indicates when there is voltage on the port. I don’t believe the 997 sleeps the cigarette lighter port like the 991 does but the manual still recommends locking the car when you have the tender on.
My CTEKS have five year warranties. Get it replaced. I have had them for years and never had a problem.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:36 PM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by bheit1
My CTEKS have five year warranties. Get it replaced. I have had them for years and never had a problem.
Thanks. I’ll contact Suncoast and see what they say.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:20 AM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I'll second the above. Same thing in my case - 986 Boxster S and now the 997.2.

16 years old and still reliable as new...

"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking..."
@Ironman88 my car came with one of these. Can you clarify whether you attach to lighter socket first and then wall or wall socket first then lighter socket?
Old 02-14-2021, 11:22 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
When my 10 years old Porsche branded CTEK behaved erratically earlier this year, I ordered a NOCO genius5 and been very happy with it since. The CTEK design is at least 10 years old and I wanted newer design and technology so I decided to give NOCO a try
So I spent $10 to get the adapter below, cut off the original cigarette lighter adapter, took out my soldering iron and connect a SAE plug to the CTEK charger.... Well what do you know, it was the bad original adapter causing all the problems (flashing both orange & green LEDs). Now my Porsche branded CTEK is fixed and functioning correctly.

I have one Porsche branded CTEK and a NOCO genius5 now .....might sell one later...just need to decide which one I want to keep. The CTEK is charging the battery slower than the NOCO......hummm.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:22 PM
lexhair
Pro

Suncoast tells me that this has a two year warranty. They also mentioned that any Porsche parts department will honor the warranty. Well, Porsche of Larchmont (NY) did not honor the warranty so the nice folks at Suncoast gave me an RMA and I sent it back.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:27 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by NikosLee
@Ironman88 my car came with one of these. Can you clarify whether you attach to lighter socket first and then wall or wall socket first then lighter socket?
I've always attached the lighter portion first, then plugged the wall unit in. Never an issue for me.

The following users liked this post:
lexhair (02-16-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:54 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 479 Likes on 348 Posts

So many threads on this issue. The passenger footwell socket times out on newer Pcars. Supposedly a particular sequence is needed to keep the socket active. If power is lost it will not turn back on. Another thread indicates Porsche has a service bulletin not to charge their AGM batteries at more than 14.5 V. The CTEK AGM battery setting is 14.7 V for AGM batteries like Optima and Odyssey. Short version use the Normal CTEK program for the Porsche OEM AGM battery. Porsche lithium batteries supposedly need a specific lithium charger sold only by Porsche.

I have a 10 year old Diehard maintainer that I use in the footwell socket for my 09 Boxster and now 2013 Boxster S with no issue. Also have a $20 Stanley one amp maintainer I bought from Walmart that I've used on my Mercedes GLC300 during COVID when the car gave a low battery warning. Recently bought the newer CTEK that supports AGM batteries which I have not used, but just saw the thread not to use the AGM setting for Porsche AGMs.

Bottom line the old style (cheap) lead acid maintainers will work fine on newer AGM batteries. As indicated above some AGM batteries like Porsche should not use the higher AGM 14.7 V setting.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:16 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,494 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
I have a battery tender Jr works perfectly for 3yrs now ..$35.00 ...all you need...
Best if you use on multiple vehicles. I could not find the cigarette lighter on my Harley.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:33 AM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I've always attached the lighter portion first, then plugged the wall unit in. Never an issue for me.
+1. That's the recommended sequence I've seen about the interwebz.
Ironman88 (02-16-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 11:14 AM
lexhair
Pro

Suncoast tells me that this has a two year warranty. They also mentioned that any Porsche parts department will honor the warranty. Well, Porsche of Larchmont (NY) did not honor the warranty so the nice folks at Suncoast gave me an RMA and I sent it back.
Major props to Suncoast. They got my charger via FedEx on Monday and by Wednesday, I had a new, shrink-wrapped one at the house via expedited shipping (they are 1300 miles from home).
Ironman88 (02-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer