997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yikes! Clean your radiators!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020 | 10:55 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

@Bruce....You will be surprised how much dirt is trapped behind the AC condensers. My 997.2's (which I no longer own) air inlet was very clean from the outside, but once the front bumper were taken off, I was able to remove a very significant amount of dirt sandwiched between the AC condenser and the radiators.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 12-06-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2020 | 12:07 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Most definitely, all 997 radiators should have come with protective screens.

Take a look inside yours- or stick a small diameter vacuum attachment inside and listen to the crap being sucked out. I used to clean out leaves, cigarette buts, assorted gauge gravel/rocks and insect carcasses before investing in some modular screens.

The GTx cars came standard with very cool looking screens. Arguably, they are more valuable protection from street debris than that found on a track. The vehicle speed and mass of the debris effect when inflicting damage to the fragile cooling fins. (I am not certain that cooling function is affected, unless the fins become severely damaged.)

Zunsport sells about the easiest solution, one that doesn't require bumper removal or zip ties to install. It takes all of 10 minutes, with a long screwdriver, to install or remove them. (No affiliation, besides buying a set for my own 997 GTS) I think I saw a 20% OFF PCA discount in the latest Panorama issue.
Do the math (New radiators are $345 each at Suncoast, center for PDK is even more $).
Improve the appearance and protect those fragile radiators.

Zunsport:

Here are the OEM 997 GT3RS and GT2 radiators:

I rest my case.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020 | 12:30 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Deleted.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-06-2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Deleted- Duplicate post
Old 12-06-2020 | 10:52 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

I have screens plus occasionally pull the front bumper cover off - it’s a 15 minute job once you’ve done it. Then disassemble and clean between the radiator and condenser on both sides. No other way to get it properly cleaned.
Old 12-06-2020 | 11:50 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linderpat
I have screens plus occasionally pull the front bumper cover off - it’s a 15 minute job once you’ve done it. Then disassemble and clean between the radiator and condenser on both sides. No other way to get it properly cleaned.
I haven't pulled the bumper off, but have removed the Zunsport screens to clean behind them. Not much gets through the screens, and what does is not sufficient sized to damage the radiator fins. Rear mounted screens require bumper removal- which drove me to the front mount version.

I can only imagine what lurks behind my radiators. Will see when I respray my front clip and replace the sacrificial PPF, which has protected the paint for 5 years but no longer looks like defect-free paint.
Old 12-06-2020 | 11:56 AM
LexVan
Banned

Vegetable oil, for frying

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 pound skinned frog's legs

1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs

1/2 cup cornmeal

Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
  2. Blend the pepper and garlic powder into the olive oil. Pat the frog's legs dry of moisture and dip into the pepper-garlic oil.
  3. Mix the breadcrumbs and cornmeal together and coat the frog's legs. Deep fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional. It has not been tested for home use.
The following users liked this post:
RacerWannabe (12-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Yikes! Clean your radiators!