Sponsored by:

Bad condition door speakers?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 03:36 PM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
I believe the battery test is only good to ensure the voice coils are still intact, and not much help for testing the quality of sound. I don't think this will tell you much, as no sound isn't the issue you are dealing with...bad sound is. Once you remove the door panels you would be able to visually inspect the drivers. Manually moving the driver back and forth with light pressure from your fingers in and out would allow you to feel if the driver moves freely, or if it feels like it is scratching, or getting hung up internally. If the speaker moves freely, and visually looks OK, you may want to try and find another source to check the sound. Make sure that source can handle the impedance. you may need to add a resistor.

This. This is how we would check to see which wires ran to which speaker and to check phase. If the speaker has a rotten surround( most likely), the battery test tells you nothing. And you'll still have to gain access to the correct wires to run this check that won't tell you much.

The factory speakers are not that great to begin with, and they are installed in a harsh environment. They're likely shot, depending on the climate the car has been exposed to. OP has an advantage since the base sound system has different speaker dimensions from the Bose and there are a number of excellent quality aftermarket speakers that sound worlds better.

GL OP. The first thing I did when I bought my 997 was to remove all of the factory sound stuff and bring it up to modern standards. Backup camera, NAV, Bluetooth streaming. All without modifying anything or clipping wires. Some of the factory stuff is fiber optic anyway.

Last edited by propchef; 12-03-2020 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dmen (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:20 PM
dmen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb New front speakers (non-Bose) - Suggestions!

Originally Posted by propchef
This. This is how we would check to see which wires ran to which speaker and to check phase. If the speaker has a rotten surround( most likely), the battery test tells you nothing. And you'll still have to gain access to the correct wires to run this check that won't tell you much.

The factory speakers are not that great to begin with, and they are installed in a harsh environment. They're likely shot, depending on the climate the car has been exposed to. OP has an advantage since the base sound system has different speaker dimensions from the Bose and there are a number of excellent quality aftermarket speakers that sound worlds better.

GL OP. The first thing I did when I bought my 997 was to remove all of the factory sound stuff and bring it up to modern standards. Backup camera, NAV, Bluetooth streaming. All without modifying anything or clipping wires. Some of the factory stuff is fiber optic anyway.
@propchef Thanks for the clues!
That´s true that the overall sound system is not as good as should be. I do not want to upgrade the PCM unit, once I do not want to loose "trip function" and I want to keep the car as original as possible.
Definitly I have to push out the inner door panel and check the speakers.
A smart way to do it is having a couple of new and better ones to install no matter what. Anyone has some suggestions for new door speakers compatible? Thanks a lot !
Old 12-03-2020, 06:14 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,279 Posts

My door speakers in my 05 non- S are terrible and sound shot. I’m sure they are too. I will be doing this job in the spring when I pull the car out of storage. I’ll just replace the door speakers. Looking forward to hearing about good aftermarket alternatives.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:57 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dmen
@propchef Thanks for the clues!
That´s true that the overall sound system is not as good as should be. I do not want to upgrade the PCM unit, once I do not want to loose "trip function" and I want to keep the car as original as possible.
Definitly I have to push out the inner door panel and check the speakers.
A smart way to do it is having a couple of new and better ones to install no matter what. Anyone has some suggestions for new door speakers compatible? Thanks a lot !
I installed Focal. Others have as well. They have different levels for different budgets, and they are all top notch in my opinion.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:06 AM
propchef
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
I installed Focal. Others have as well. They have different levels for different budgets, and they are all top notch in my opinion.
Focal are outstanding. I had those in the M3. I have Memphis Audio in the 997 put there by the previous owner, and I added JL sub and 500W mono amp to drive it. Even with windows down and the sunroof open it sounds amazing.
dmen (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Focal are outstanding. I had those in the M3. I have Memphis Audio in the 997 put there by the previous owner, and I added JL sub and 500W mono amp to drive it. Even with windows down and the sunroof open it sounds amazing.
Memphis Audio is up there in what I consider the top tier. Great stuff from everything I have read. Just have not had the opportunity to listen to them. I unfortunately had Bose (C4S USA) so instead of DIYing my install, I had it done at a much higher cost. Car Tunes in Atlanta did not carry the Memphis line, or I would have given them a long look.
dmen (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 02:41 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

Focals are bright. I didn't like them the last time I heard them and ended up purchasing Hertz. Not even the higher tier either. Most of the plastic coned speakers sound like it. So far I prefer paper cones. Now they have woven fiberglass and flax which may sound better but I have not heard them yet. I strongly recommend hearing the new speakers BEFORE you buy them. Everyone has different taste in sound.
DesmoSD (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 06:51 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
Focals are bright. I didn't like them the last time I heard them and ended up purchasing Hertz. Not even the higher tier either. Most of the plastic coned speakers sound like it. So far I prefer paper cones. Now they have woven fiberglass and flax which may sound better but I have not heard them yet. I strongly recommend hearing the new speakers BEFORE you buy them. Everyone has different taste in sound.
+1

Gone are the days of multiple 12V audio stores where you can actually hear the speakers, h/u, amps etc. We're only left with Best Buy, Al &Ed's and Fry's (in Southern California).
Old 12-05-2020, 12:34 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

mine mellowed after a few days of decent volume. Now they are detailed to my ear. Freq sweeps are pretty flat in car with some EQing in my amp.

Originally Posted by BucketList
Old 12-05-2020, 01:05 PM
dmen
Intermediate

Default Sound file. Ear and

Hi all,
I tried to record a short video/mp4. Send the link to share the file. to this post. Low sound volume and it is not ok. Wait for some clues from you.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjm...w?usp=drivesdk
Thanks!
DM

Last edited by dmen; 12-06-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:34 PM
propchef
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmen
Hi all,
I triedd to record a short video/mp4. Send the link to share the file. to this post. Low sound volume and it is not ok. Wait for some clies from you.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjm...w?usp=drivesdk
Thanks!
DM
It's easier to upload to YouTube and share from there. You can mark it unpublished or private.

Google is saying I need access and I can't see your video.

dmen (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 09:32 PM
dmen
Intermediate

It's easier to upload to YouTube and share from there. You can mark it unpublished or private.

Google is saying I need access and I can't see your video.
Youtube link!
Please check!
Old 12-07-2020, 09:19 AM
propchef
Instructor

Speakers sound shot to me. You can tell better at lower volumes.

Crutchfield is your friend if you're going to DIY. They have fitment charts, adapter plugs, and good installation videos.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...=FFBrand|Morel

Have you seen this? https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...cations-387463

The following 2 users liked this post by propchef:
dmen (12-07-2020), VT Blue (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 06:48 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Surprising you have an S without Bose. That must be an outside the US thing as I believe all S cars in the US have Bose standard.
My S does not have Bose. My amp is located in the frunk and is most likely the reason my speakers have poor sound. No bass at all from any of the speakers and weird thump noises from the radio even when off. I'd like to keep the PCM for now as I like the look of it, but I have to dive into this one of these days and figure out the source of the issue.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by coaldrag413
My S does not have Bose. My amp is located in the frunk and is most likely the reason my speakers have poor sound. No bass at all from any of the speakers and weird thump noises from the radio even when off. I'd like to keep the PCM for now as I like the look of it, but I have to dive into this one of these days and figure out the source of the issue.
The coupes with Bose have their amp in the frunk too. I thought Bose was standard on an S like PASM is., at least in US cars.

Quick Reply: Bad condition door speakers?!