Tools needed to clean centerlock barrels

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 10:13 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Tools needed to clean centerlock barrels

Hi, i have arthritic wrists, so, removing and reinstalling the centerlocks on my GTS can be difficult. I'd like tp clean the barrels without removing the wheels. Any suggestions/recommendations for products (i do have Sonax) and/or tools to use? Thanks
Old 11-24-2020, 11:35 AM
rsinghal3
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I use for my cars along with some good wheel cleaner (Brake buster in foam cannon but its over kill)..

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-24-2020, 01:04 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Understand about the arthritis - have it in my lower back. Fortunately not in my wrists or hands.

May be worth going through the process to remove the wheels, clean them thoroughly and then ceramic coat the barrels. By doing that you'll ease / simplify cleaning them in the future with them remaining on the car.

I really like the Sonax wheel cleaning product. In my experience however, it will not remove road tar that can end up on the barrel surfaces. To clean my wheels, I used the Sonax product, followed by a tar remover. After that I used a clay bar, followed by P21S multi-finish restorer mixed with P21S paint cleanser. Then I did the prep process for Ceramic coating and applied the ceramic.

Since then, cleaning the wheels (fronts and barrels) has been really easy. I use the Sonax product and Wheel Woolies.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:52 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rsinghal3
This is what I use for my cars along with some good wheel cleaner (Brake buster in foam cannon but its over kill)..

https://www.amazon.com/TAKAVU-Detail...6232057&sr=8-4
Thanks for the replies.

rsinghal3: Reminded me that I have such a brush on my shelf.

Ironman88: Looks beautiful. That'll be what I'll do next time I pull the wheels.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:44 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

I use a wheel woolie on my GTS... https://www.detailedimage.com/Wheel-...ush-P568/8-S1/

Another trick is dish soap. Keep it off the body of course since it removes wax. It works great on the wheels though!
Old 09-11-2023, 10:41 PM
Twps
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate all the replies. I do think these wheels look good for their age and mileage.

Those mirror like finish are beautiful. I don’t know that I have that much patience or elbow grease in me!

Quick Reply: Tools needed to clean centerlock barrels