Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the 997.2 manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:55 PM
jflagg
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you for posting!

I’ve had the same issue with my 05 C2S since I bought it with 45k miles. The shifting just felt “thumpy” and the rear end always felt like it wasn’t happy.

the 1-2 and 2-3 shift thump really drove me nuts.

I will say though that the Function First motor mounts and the orange (soft) transmission bushings completely transformed the car. The thump is substantially reduced if not completely eliminated. And the whole rear end of the car feels sooooo much more solid.

I just had the two parts installed while I was having Fister mufflers installed and my Indy charged me $600 to install all. I would also highly recommend the Fister exhaust. The sound is great, no drone, and not loud when you’re just cruising.

Overall my car just feels like much more of an “experience” every time I drive it now. So happy to have found a solution for the Thump after almost 2 years. Thanks @ewc
The following users liked this post:
ewc (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 03:29 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

Q1: when comes time to replace my clutch in my 2005 base C2 - would I be able to upgrade to a self adjusting clutch, from the S or later year base models?

Q2. although only 43k mile, but going on 16 years old, would replacing my engine mounts with new OEM help with handling? Not sure of the effect of the mounts in this aspect, but I would think worn/old ones would let the engine tilt more therefore causing more lean -thoughts?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:37 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Awesome, I’m glad it worked for you. I did not do the tranny mount, just the FF engine mount, and it got rid of my thumping. Do you have any increased tranny noises from the bushing?

The Fister is a great mod, especially on the 997.1. I had to do Fister and center x pipe to open up the sound on my .2.

Enjoy the ride!

Originally Posted by jflagg
I’ve had the same issue with my 05 C2S since I bought it with 45k miles. The shifting just felt “thumpy” and the rear end always felt like it wasn’t happy.

the 1-2 and 2-3 shift thump really drove me nuts.

I will say though that the Function First motor mounts and the orange (soft) transmission bushings completely transformed the car. The thump is substantially reduced if not completely eliminated. And the whole rear end of the car feels sooooo much more solid.

I just had the two parts installed while I was having Fister mufflers installed and my Indy charged me $600 to install all. I would also highly recommend the Fister exhaust. The sound is great, no drone, and not loud when you’re just cruising.

Overall my car just feels like much more of an “experience” every time I drive it now. So happy to have found a solution for the Thump after almost 2 years. Thanks @ewc
Old 07-26-2021, 09:45 PM
porscheaudi1
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the numeric shifter cables made all the difference in the world for me. I had all the same problems and they are 99% gone with the cables. Didnt even do the short shift kit
The following users liked this post:
ewc (07-27-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 03:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheaudi1
the numeric shifter cables made all the difference in the world for me. I had all the same problems and they are 99% gone with the cables. Didnt even do the short shift kit
Tons of threads on this. Based on what I've read I think it boils down to personal preference but maybe more than anything else who does the install of the mod. I just got the inexpensive B&M short shift kit https://www.championmotorsport.com/p...-p/bm45135.htm for my -06 C4S. Cost less than the OEM version and the Numeric kit but the result was way beyond expectations. The throw of the B&M is slightly shorter than the OEM kit and all the sloppiness was gone. Not sure how it compares to Numeric in terms of reduction in throw and sloppiness.

I tend to think that the installation makes all the difference. Some have done it themselves and hated it making me think something wasn't done right. I had my B&M kit installed by the best tech at the local Porsche dealership. Pure perfection but he told me it took three test drives with small adjustments of the cables until he was satisfied. Night and day compared to the stock slopp. Way shorter throw but still nice and smooth. Could shift with two fingertips up or down in any gears.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:22 PM
porscheaudi1
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ewc--I let my kid use my car for autocross. Long story short-he broke a shifter cable. Drove all the way home 35 mph. Replaced with Numeric shift cables. Made all the difference in the world. Shifting is so much smoother and all those problems of shifting from 2nd into 1st are completely gone. GREAT mod imo.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 997.2 manual transmission