997.1 Battery replacement - Durametric codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 12:14 PM
v-cube
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 997.1 Battery replacement - Durametric codes

Hello,

I am a new owner of a used 997.1 convertible (2006) which I bought some weeks ago (first Porsche...),
I love the car so much, but 2 weeks ago when I wanted to start the engine it did not do a thing.
The engine would not start, and PSM and ABS warning messages would appear.
I have to admit that the evening before that, I tinkered a bit with the build in aftermarket Pioneer stereo ( I tried without success to attach a 3.5 mm audio cable ) while the stereo was running and the battery was connected, I do not know if this can be related or if it is just coincidence.
Since I suspected the battery I bought a new one and after installing it the car engine started again, however the error messages are still there and some other weird stuff came up too, e.g. the seat heating does not seem to work anymore.
So I ordered a Durametric enthusiast kit and tried it on my Porsche, unfortunately it read out a ton of error codes.

So my first question: Is it possible that my noob tinkering on the stereo could have caused some damage to other components of the car? like damage the computer or the battery?

Second question : Is it possible that at least part of these error codes are old ones that are still in the system ? Would it be save to delete them with the Durametric tool (I suppose they would just show up again if the car checkup would still detect a problem ?)

thank you for any feedback !

Andreas

Old 11-19-2020, 01:03 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I doubt that you damaged your 911 by tinkering with the stereo audio output. If you aren't driving regularly it's a good idea to hook up a quality battery tender, like a CTEK. It would help us to help you if you post your error codes. I would copy them to a separate file, for your records. Generally it's safe to clear error codes, and it's a good idea to see if they come back. Strange error codes can happen with a low battery and due to other glitches on the communication bus.
It's very disturbing when you go to start your car and nothing happens. New 911 owners sometimes have trouble starting... don't ask me how I know this. If that happens, be sure to insert your key all the way in (push in), then rotate all the way counter-clockwise before starting. You should see a message identifying your Key (Key 1, Key 2).
Old 11-19-2020, 01:17 PM
v-cube
4th Gear

thank you TV911,

I indeed already also bought a CTEK charger and hooked it up too the new battery, I just took the 997 for a short ride and now the error messages in the car´s display disappeared, it showed me some weird message "limit 2" in a circle for a few seconds though.
Seat heating is still not working, I will connect the Durametric later and try to save the codes to post it.

best

Andreas
Old 11-20-2020, 08:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Now that the car has been started and driven with a good battery, disconnect the ground cable of the battery for 10 minutes, reconnect it, and try again. That will reset all the electronic control modules, drive it to clear the PSM error and other battery disconnect errors, clear the codes again, and see what comes back and what doesn't work.

Sometimes after a really dead battery, certain features need to be reactivated with a PIWIS. If the seat heaters still don't work, probably going to take a trip to the dealer.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:08 AM
russpe
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also new to 997.1 and I had a similar issue. Neither my seat heaters nor garage door opener were working and just as Petza914 wrote I needed a "handover" procedure that can only be done at the dealership using a PIWIs programmer. The guys at Cherry Hill Porsche in NJ did this for me at no charge and it solved both problems. And, given the chance I'd rather listen to the motor than the stereo but more often than not I'm using it as a daily so I opted for a Sony HU upgrade to the existing Bose system which isn't bad but the radio is awful and the HU has no capability for Aux or Bluetooth connections. So the new HU with Android Auto allows handsfree music (SiriusXM and personal music playlist) and cell phone which in MHO looks pretty good.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:50 PM
v-cube
4th Gear

So... yesterday I attached the Durametric again and tried to erase the error codes. I started by saving a pdf file of the error codes first and then hit the clear all fault codes button. After several tries ( the SW hang up a few times ) and some manual deleting I got rid of a big chunk of error messages.
However there are still a few present, I attached the pdf file. A friend of mine who was holding my hand while I tinkered with the Durametric said that a few of these might be related to the aftermarket stereo because the PMC is not there any more ( e.g. code # C141:Communication PCM (display))
My main issue right now is that the seat heating is not working, apart from that everything seams to be as it was before. I will try to detach the ground cable for 10 min and clear the codes again like Petza914 suggested. From what I understand so far, I probably have to let a dealer do the "vehicle handover " reset, since as far as I know the Durametric cannot perform that task.

I will report back soon.

Best

Andreas
Attached Images

Quick Reply: 997.1 Battery replacement - Durametric codes