Sponsored by:

Help: Double Beep with Key Fob - Doors won't lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:07 PM
Suprapaul47
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help: Double Beep with Key Fob - Doors won't lock

After letting the car sit for about 1.5 weeks, I had a low battery in which the car would not turn over. I put the tender on it immediately and the next day the car started up fine and I drove it for a few days.

What I started to notice was a double beep when I hit the lock/unlock button on the Key Fob. After reading into it, I thought it could be a door actuator (driver side) but took it into the dealer to scan. The tech said it's most likely the driver side actuator - I purchased one from FCP and replaced it. Still, the double beep therefore I ordered and replaced the passenger side one. I checked all the fuses - all good. The double beep is still there and the doors won't lock with the fob. Now when I drive the car, going from a standstill the doors will try to lock and I get the double beep in motion - every traffic light, every stop sign -- beep beep.

Recap:
  • Driver Side door with the Key Fob - I can not lock or unlock
  • Driver Side door hitting the lock button from within the car, the door locks but will not unlock with the key fob.
  • The driver side door will manually unlock and lock with the key but the passenger will not lock.
  • The Passenger Side door is always unlocked. It does nothing with the key fob or interior lock button.
The gas cap door will lock and unlock but not every time you hit the key fob. The interior button will lock and unlock the gas cap door.

Any ideas? I check to make sure the center console compartment is closed (saw it on the 996 section) and the glove box.

TIA
Paul

Old 11-12-2020, 09:49 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 205 Likes on 87 Posts

I had the same exact issue and solved it (?) by replacing the battery and clearing codes. I was heading down the same path as you!
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp
Old 11-12-2020, 11:03 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Trunk?
Old 11-13-2020, 09:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Sounds like the dead battery has confused the locking module. Monitored things that could result in the double beep are both doors, the glove box, the center armrest, the engine lid and the frunk.

First thing I'd do is just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, reconnect it and try it. That will reset the locking module. If that doesn't work, check each monitored compartment. Have you installed anything between the center console and the glovebox where you may have damaged the switch that's behind the left side of the glovebox.

I believe a code reader could also tell you which module is open and causing the beep. .
Old 11-13-2020, 08:12 PM
Suprapaul47
AutoX

JW,
Checked the trunk...still 2xbeep

Petza & Ohio Performance
I had the battery disconnected for 25 mins while i was swapping the actuators and same result - double beep. I made sure to check the center console, glove box, frunk and engine lid (and all the electric flex points between). I am thinking maybe its security sensor for inside the car??? I have a generic OBDII scanner checking for codes but no codes were stored or showed up. I did check the battery level of my AGM battery (newly replaced this spring) and it was low so I will juice it over night and hopefully get it back to 100% and try what Ohio Performance said to do in the morning. Greatly appreciate everyone's help.

Ohio Performance, just checked your profile -- I am from NE Ohio (Tremont --> Richfield) and we have similar cars 997C4 + E46M3...small world.

Paul
997C4
E46M3 (Nardo Grey) but SMG

Old 11-15-2020, 04:33 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

The battery might have a bad cell so charging might not work. If you can manually cheat the frunk switch, you could test with the tender connected. It supplies enough current for a simple lock test.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:23 AM
Suprapaul47
AutoX

Ran the car through another scan tools (at the local BMW tunershop) and it looks like 'Driver Side Door' fault keeps coming back after clearing it. Going to take the panel off and see if there is a loose connector or solder point.
I'll do what Bucketlist advises with a tender connected at the same time to check the frunk/engine cover.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Nein Elf
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the same issue recently. The Porsche dealer had to reprogram the rear end control unit. That fixed the issue. I tried an independent initially who was unable to remedy. I would have saved time & money in this instance by taking it to the dealer first.

Quick Reply: Help: Double Beep with Key Fob - Doors won't lock