Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wash Routines

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020 | 07:45 PM
911Raider
Instructor

Default Wash Routines

I have been lurking for a while and am relatively new to the Porsche family. In February I purchased a BLACK 2006 911S. I am learning a lot from the forum and appreciate all the knowledge shared here.

I was curious about wash routines. I do not particularly love to wash and detail vehicles, but sure appreciate the shine afterwards when I do it. Once clean, the car starts to get dust on it. It looks worse in the garage than once I leave, but the black show everything. I am curious how often to wash it, what the best wash is, how often most wax and which waxes are best. I’ve been using Maguires Ultimate Wash and Wax to this point.

Just trying to get some tips and ideas on a good routine to keep this looking great, preferably a fairly quick routine and good time interval between washes.

What are you guys doing?
Old 11-01-2020 | 08:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Depends how much time and money you want to spend initially. If you want to pay someone to polish and ceramic coat your car, that means that in the future washing will be easier and waxing won't be required. You would just use a spray sealant most likely after drying every couple of washes to help keep the ceramic coating maintained.

I have a separate bucket for wheels, I wash the wheels with wheel woolies and adams car shampoo in the bucket. Typically I don't even need wheel cleaner, then I use Adams tire cleaner or another rubber cleaner or all purpose cleaner to take care of the tires and wheel wells.

Then use adams car shampoo and the two bucket method with grit guards to wash the paint, starting at the top and working down. Use a detail spray after as a drying aid with quality microfiber towels and you should be set.

I recommend watching some videos from Obsessed Garage, Autofanatic, Pan the Organizer or other Youtube detailers if you have the time to get some ideas of how best to wash and maintain your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
911Raider (11-01-2020), ehagendorff (11-02-2020)
Old 11-01-2020 | 08:34 PM
NC997.2S
Rennlist Member

I use a foam lance (MTM PF22) with Griot’s Foaming Surface wash, let sit for 3 minutes, rinse, then Griot’s Poly Gloss, let sit for two minutes, rinse, dry with Lucas Spray Wax.

I use three buckets with grit guards in the bottom for when I need to actually touch the paint. Clean bucket, dirty bucket, and a wheels bucket. Use a sheepskin mitt for the body with a foam cannon (do not use a lance- it’s got too much pressure and will harm the paint) shooting into the mitt at an angle on the paint.

Wheels get a soft bristle brush and Griot’s Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner.

Gets pretty decent results.
Old 11-01-2020 | 08:36 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Obsessed garage.
Old 11-01-2020 | 09:34 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

You guys would hate my car. Lots of swirls and scratches. I will say that I enjoy the heck out of it. I do try to get to this OCD level with my 78 928 though, so I always follow these threads and gained good tidbits.
Old 11-01-2020 | 10:18 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Here's mine...
  • 2 bucket wash for car... +1 for wheels ... So 3 bucket total
  • Dry w leave blower
  • Spray wax every 3 to 6 mths - C2 Liquid Crystal by GTechniq

This is what was recommended after I had a paint correction on my 2011 meteor grey car. It still.looks great 18 mths later.
Old 11-01-2020 | 10:21 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Black finishes are tormenting. Love them. Hate them.

The best approach has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Need to address the finish - paint correction (compound and polish or just polish depending on the condition of your finish now).

The clear coat that Porsche has used on the 997 is comparatively soft. If you don't adequately protect it, it will be very easy (despite some of the best preventative washing measures) to continue on scratching the finish. Waxes look great, but don't offer lasting protection. Polymer sealants provide a longer lasting level of protection. Better still would be a ceramic finish. Paint protection film would provide the most protection.

I would recommend a ceramic coat after paint correction. By doing this, you will significantly improve your chances of keeping the finish in excellent shape through normal use of the car and through ongoing car washes.

Old 11-01-2020 | 10:49 PM
Motopilot
Advanced

I’ve started using the foam cannon. Got the mixture of soap to water nailed down better. I can’t afford a professional detainers but I’ve been doing boats since I was a kid and have applied to my cars. Use the two buckets, for washes and especially the wheels. Been using the Chemical Guys ceramic coating hyper wax which really has worked out well. Gives beautiful luster and shine. I’ll use a spray wax in between to keep her clean.

Black cars are beautiful but tough to maintain. I have been doing some neighbors cars on the side for fun. Just did my Nextdoor neighbors F250. Lifted and black. Spent 5 hrs on clay, glaze and wax but the truck looks amazing.

If you have a power washer the foam cannon is really easy to use. Just practice first.

The following users liked this post:
spookyjones (11-02-2020)
Old 11-01-2020 | 10:50 PM
Dpmarc
Rennlist Member

I would suggest getting a good waterless wash and quality plush microfiber towels. Check our shine supply eco shine. This is perfect for a “garage wash” in between normal car washes. Perfect for dust, light dirt, finger prints, etc.

definitely use a 2 bucket method and use quality products and towels. Getting a good paint correction/polish and ceramic can make car washing really easy as well.

hope that helps!
Old 11-02-2020 | 08:33 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

It really depends on how exposed to the elements it is. If it's a daily driver it's always a job to keep it showroom looking. Mine gets parked under a cover m-f and when I do wash it i just use sheepskin/microfiber mits to wash. I polish it every 6 months or so. I get a bucket and make the soap mix fairly strong and clean the wheels and calipers first. Then I rinse the bucket out and do the same for the body with a different mit. I think personally the two bucket method is great but not necessary. My best friend owns a detail company and usually it's no big deal with so frequent polishings. Plus the more you polish it keeps getting better and better as long as your not causing to many scratches inbetween them. I'm still on the fence about the ceramic coat personally. I like the shine and whatever protection it adds, not as good as ppf but decent. The one thing I love about wax is how it feels. The ceramic coatings never have that real slick feel which I love. It's the easiest way to tell if the paint still has any wax left on it. Meguiars 21 if the wax/sealant of choice and I use the griots pink car wash from advanced auto.
Old 11-02-2020 | 10:01 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 162K miles

From the cheap seats:

I use Dawn dish detergent all the time (~gasp~) because it removes bugs and Zaino which you spray on and just wipe after every wash. One bucket (~ oh no~) ... I do the wheels last... Beautiful. My philosophy is that if it is difficult, it is not sustainable. I don't like doing things I don't like doing so it has to be fast and low in pain.

If you don't like washing or detailing your car, I recommend paying some bucks and have a professional detailer compound your car to get out the swirls etc... and put a ceramic coating on it. This will keep your car looking good the longest with the least amount of maintenance.

BTW, I just ceramic'd my car and I am not so sure about it..... I really think Zaino (a polymer, not a wax) is the way to go.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-02-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2020 | 10:06 AM
Dk27
Advanced

Living with black paint is a double edged sword. It can look amazing, but it's nearly impossible to keep it perfect. I have gone through a number of routines with my basalt black C4 that i keep garaged. For a maintenance wash, which I do about 1x a month, I use and electric pressure washer and rinse the wheels first. Then i use a bucket with wheel woolies, P&S brake buster, and checmical guys honeydew car wash. I work wheel by wheel but it will go faster if you have the wheels ceramic coated. I rinse the body of the car with the pressure washer and then i hit it with the foam cannoned with Carpro Reset. I let thtat dwell for about 5-6 minutes and then rinse. Here's where I deviate from the 2 bucket wash. I then hit it with the foam cannon again. I wet my microfiber wash mitt and wipe the body in straight lines with minimal pressure. Instead of using a clean bucket with a grit guard, I rinse the mitt with pressure washer and a grit guard to clean the mitt. I have found this minimizes any transfer of dirt to the paint. I follow this with a rinse and then I blot the body of the paint with a large drying towel, the rage company liquid8tr, or will use my air dryer(but that takes more time). Maybe top it with P&S bead maker for added shine.

For getting finger prints and very very light dust off the car I like using either Carpro Elixir or Griots Speedshine, combined with a plush microfiber like the ragcompany edgeless 365.

If there is a decent amount of dust I will do a waterless wash. For this I like Ammo's Frothe in a spray foamer and lots of microfiber towels.

Hope this helps. Find something that works for you, lots of good suggestions.
911Raider (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020 | 10:16 AM
spookyjones
AutoX

I been using Chemical Guys products for years! I first start with their Foam Cannon then a monthly coat of Butter wax with a yearly coat of Hyper Slick. Its a 20min process, super easy products to use!
Old 11-02-2020 | 10:29 AM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

If you park in a garage and it gets dusty, buy an indoor cover, the covers are really good at keeping the car nice. The less you fuss with black paint the better.
911Raider (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020 | 10:48 AM
NC997.2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spookyjones
... then a monthly coat of Butter wax with a yearly coat of Hyper Slick...
The problem with Carnauba-based waxes is that their melting point is around 185 surface temp. In the summer in most of the Southern and Southwestern states, you'll get that temp on the surface of your car just by leaving it outside for an hour. I LOVE the look of a freshly waxed black car, but it just won't stay that way for longer than a few hours round these parts.

I advocate Klasse All-In-One sealant followed up by 2-3 coats of Klasse High Gloss Glaze twice a year. It takes me about two hours each time I have to apply them, but the wet-look of a freshly waxed car with the added protectant from the sealant and glaze is a "best of both worlds" scenario.
spookyjones (11-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Wash Routines