Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 997.2 owners, how much oil do you burn?
None
35.51%
Less than 1 qt per 6k miles
24.30%
1 qt per 6k miles
7.48%
1 qt per 3k miles
12.15%
1 qt per 2k miles
12.15%
1 qt per 1k miles
6.54%
More than 1qt per 1k miles
1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

997.2 owners, how much oil do you burn?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 03:26 PM
T Silnner
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

2009 C2S, stick. Bought new and broke in per directions (which was hard). For the first 10 K miles I was burning about 1 quart every 5K miles. Then the consumption lowered to about 1/2 quart per 5K miles.

The total miles are now 45K. I keep the rpm around 3K untill the oil gets up and then try to keep the revs over 4K.

As I only put 2.5 K per year the annual service eliminates the need for adding oil. BTW, when I use the oil gauge I make sure the engins oil temp is warm and the car is on a level surface and the engine has been shut down for
about five minutes, about the time it takes to fill the tank and clean the windows.

Thanks for this poll, I have always wondered why some engines do not burn a drop. My wife has a BMW 2005 325i stick (bought new) with the sport setup and at 130,000 miles it has never burned any noticeable amount of oil and she winds it up when conditions allow.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:35 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 50 Posts

My 2009 C2 burns about 1 quart in 1200 miles, with 113K miles. I watch temps before I get on it, but I have only owned it 9 months. I have all the maintenance records, but no idea how it was driven. Car has been a pleasure to own, and I have put 16K on it during those 9 months. My previous car was a ‘13 Mustang GT with a ProCharger. It had 156K miles on it when I traded it and would use 1/2 a quart in 5K miles.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:09 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by arcadia234
2010 C4S with 83K miles.

I guess I am the odd man out here. I follow the Porsche maintenance schedule (these guys have posted a fairly accurate schedule on their site) for my car which is every 10K miles or 1 year. As far as burning volume goes, I am at 1 line below the top according to the oil change animation on my cluster. I drive the car daily and put ~12K on her yearly. I just drove it from NC to St. Augustine and back this week and not a drop is missing according to the indicator.
I think that following the manual directions for oil service is ridiculous and believe that it leads to many issues people experience, be that high oil consumption, bore scoring and IMS failure (if you have one in an earlier car). As an example, in the 996 manual, Porsche recommended the following: "To keep your Porsche 911 – 996 Series running at its peak performance, it's recommended to get an oil change every 15,000 miles or every 2 years. In addition, your vehicle's oil filter should be changed every 30,000 miles or every four years.". For the 997 gen they updated to "Every 20,000 miles or every two years". If you drive your car like it was meant to be driven, this is way way too long. I bet if we all stuck to a 5k mile / 6 month interval we'd be seeing far less engine related issues. That said, frequent oil changes are not seen as environment friendly and raise the TCO of the car, so we get what we get in the manual.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by arcadia234
2010 C4S with 83K miles.

I guess I am the odd man out here. I follow the Porsche maintenance schedule (these guys have posted a fairly accurate schedule on their site) for my car which is every 10K miles or 1 year. As far as burning volume goes, I am at 1 line below the top according to the oil change animation on my cluster. I drive the car daily and put ~12K on her yearly. I just drove it from NC to St. Augustine and back this week and not a drop is missing according to the indicator.

<public service announcement>
Folks, dare I say RTFM without making enemies? Page 208 of my manual states "It is normal for your engine to consume oil. The rate of oil consumption depends on the quality and viscosity of oil, the speed at which the engine is operated, the climate, road conditions as well as the amount of dilution and oxidation of the lubricant. If the vehicle is used for repeated short trips, and consumes a normal amount of oil, the engine oil measurement may not show any drop in the oil level at all, even after 600 miles (1,000 km) or more. It then goes on to indicate "The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the segment display is approx. 1.3 quarts (1.25 liters). Each segment of the display corresponds to approx. 0.42 quart (0.4 liter)".
</public service announcement>

Yeah, I'm one of those geeks that reads the manual cover to cover when I buy a new car or bike. It's amazing what I learn doing that.

FWIW I recall reading that the auto oil check process was developed to ensure accurate pressure for the operation of the variocam. I can't find the original source of that so consider that statement anecdotal at the moment.
I don't think you can assume that following the Porsche maintenance schedule leads to low oil use. These cars will differ right from the factory. This fact disappoints me because I want to believe that modern manufacturing and assembly results in 100% consistancy but apparently it does not. Why the difference from the factory? I dunno but it is true.

Regarding the oil check system on our .2 cars, mine is a bit wonky and sometimes, even after it counts down and displays a level, I can hit the wand again and it will countdown from 4 seconds... The results? 98% of the time it is the same but I have had times that it is different, always showing more oil than before... one time it moved up two bars after repeated wand pulls. Why? I dunno... variocam pressure settling? I dunno....I kinda doubt that, there may be alot more going on such as simple re-distribution of oil throughout this engine... there are places that trap oil... I know this because during oil changes, I can get more out by jacking the car up high on the drivers side.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-06-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:42 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

My 2009S burns no oil for the first 2000 miles after a change, then begins burning oil at about 1Qt every 2000 miles after that. I have usually added 2 qts by the time it gets changed again. My OCI is 5k.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:57 AM
arcadia234
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I don't think you can assume that following the Porsche maintenance schedule leads to low oil use. These cars will differ right from the factory. This fact disappoints me because I want to believe that modern manufacturing and assembly results in 100% consistancy but apparently it does not. Why the difference from the factory? I dunno but it is true.

Regarding the oil check system on our .2 cars, mine is a bit wonky and sometimes, even after it counts down and displays a level, I can hit the wand again and it will countdown from 4 seconds... The results? 98% of the time it is the same but I have had times that it is different, always showing more oil than before... one time it moved up two bars after repeated wand pulls. Why? I dunno... variocam pressure settling? I dunno....I kinda doubt that, there may be alot more going on such as simple re-distribution of oil throughout this engine... there are places that trap oil... I know this because during oil changes, I can get more out by jacking the car up high on the drivers side.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
You make a fair point in that Porsche likely generalized the statement in the manual to cover the widest breadth of scenarios (meaning one size can't fit all). More frequent changes certainly will not harm anything. Excuse me for a moment, I need to hop over to Amazon and order an oil change kit...

Quick Reply: 997.2 owners, how much oil do you burn?