Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you put your 997 away for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

Lawd I'd hate to think I had to put a car away due to winter. I'm in SE Texas so a bad winter for us is lower 30's, burrr. I've seen snow on the ground only a handful of times in my life here, and when it does we are just in awe of how awesome it looks but usually last 2 days tops. I think last year winter was in the 50's. Of course Hurricane season here, well thats a different story. Good ole Gulf Coast.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 AM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Where I live we don’t salt the roads we drop crushed basalt for traction. So once the first snow falls the roads are million rock chips waiting to happen. The hardest part is in spring when the weather warms but the roads aren’t “swept” yet. Slowly killing the painted rockers over the years whilst barnstorming the Palouse.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 249 Posts

Sold the winter beater this past March 2020.

Will Press the 997.2 into service this winter

Last edited by Patrick3000; 10-21-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:06 AM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by D3RP
Where I live we don’t salt the roads we drop crushed basalt for traction. So once the first snow falls the roads are million rock chips waiting to happen. The hardest part is in spring when the weather warms but the roads aren’t “swept” yet. Slowly killing the painted rockers over the years whilst barnstorming the Palouse.
That's gotta be tough. Around here we use rock salt, which does the same sand-blasting deal, but dissolves when it rains, allowing nature to "sweep" the roads. I can't imagine having to wait for people to do it!
Old 10-21-2020, 12:41 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by markmark26
November to April, both 911 and QV
Toying with getting a QV. What do you do about winter wheels? OEM?
Old 10-23-2020, 06:01 AM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 88 Posts

only when i park it after driving home from work.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:29 AM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I keep driving mine until there is salt on the ground...if there's a good rain and the salt is washed away I'll drive the cars.
This!
Old 10-24-2020, 08:12 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,387 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Mine gets put away usually in early/mid November - this includes the 997 and two 928's. I have had many Porsches and other sports cars over the years, living in the SW PA region and Bozeman MT (hey @Jimcana - similar pattern here ). Here is what I do, and have been doing for years, without issue, and without ever having a rodent problem:
When I store my cars for the winter, I always use dryer sheets in the interior, and put moth ***** underneath around the wheels, and a few in the engine bay on a tray, and in the front of the car underneath but not in the frunk. Never put them inside, as you will never get rid of the smell. I have not had a rodent problem. I also put in fresh oil, over inflate the tires, full tank of gas with Stabil (leave very little air pocket inside on top of tank, which keeps the water in the fuel from condensing up and out and getting into the fuel system), detail the interior including treating the leather and vinyl, wash exterior, put on trickle charger, cover and forget until spring. Do not start it up unless you plan to drive it for 30 minutes, which I would not do here in the NE once it is put away.
That's it. Car can sit undisturbed for many months this way. Be sure to lock it too, because with these 997's they go into a sleep mode which is better for the battery (even though that is on a trcikle charge).
The following users liked this post:
Jimcana (11-08-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 11:24 AM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best trickle charger in my opinion is ctek stuff. It is the OEM for both Porsche and GM. I have several in use for everything from kids ATV, a UTV, an S2K, and 997.2 .
Works great.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:46 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Mine is already stored. I know it's early. But I always store it in October, whether mid October or late October. My reasons are that I don't like detailing cars when it is cold out, typically in Ohio, we are getting into the 50s for highs come end of October and that is pushing it for me to be outside all day getting a car ready to be stored (except in the spring after winter, it feels warm). Second reason is that I don't store at my house, I store at a car storage facility. This means that there is an additional layer of logistics required to get the car up there. Eventually when I have more garage space and can store it at home without neglecting daily drivers (I don't want them sitting outside all winter), then I will store at home and can drive later into the season. By early November, we're typically getting snow. My philosophy is drive your car enough during the year where an additional week or two at the end of the year doesn't make as big of a difference. Yes the colors are great at this time of year, so I do understand that.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:03 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Never! The snow tires go one just about now.
The following users liked this post:
shyamvenky (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:32 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Me too Never 😊 Mine is a daily driver, but I don’t drive up mountains in winter, so the car is on all-seasons year long.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:56 PM
GrizzlyHippo
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in the UK I was planning some long trips in November as the long range weather forecast looks good and dry all month... and then our prime minister announced another lockdown this last weekend... so I put the winter fuel additive in the Porsche and tucked her up for the winter 😞
Old 11-03-2020, 06:18 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GrizzlyHippo
Here in the UK I was planning some long trips in November as the long range weather forecast looks good and dry all month... and then our prime minister announced another lockdown this last weekend... so I put the winter fuel additive in the Porsche and tucked her up for the winter 😞
That's a bummer for sure. I bought my 997.1 in June and used it as my pandemic escape pod, going for drives locally to blow off some steam and keep myself busy during distancing times. I'm going to keep it out for local jaunts as long as I can, basically going week to week until I definitely have to put it away.

If you're having okay weather in the UK, maybe you can squeeze some local fun out of her yet?
Old 11-03-2020, 06:59 PM
raviis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NJ resident as well.

My 997.2 4s is always on a trickle charger when i park in my garage.

I use the salt on the road and the amount of rain after to decide if a weather permitting winter drive is worth it.

Have never used a stabilizer and considering it this year.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: When do you put your 997 away for winter?