997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illuminated door sill not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021 | 08:43 PM
smcgee
3rd Gear

Finished this fix today. After ordering a couple different EL panels I ended up going with a 'white' 2x12" panel (which looked pink when not powered). It is slightly more white than factory. I had bought blue, but that was too blue.

I pulled up the rubber door seal near the light, after pulling the one screw and pulling up the plastic edging piece on the inside of it. Just pops up.

After that, I used some trim tools to work around under the carbon door sill, I needed about 1/2" to get a razor knife under and pop the old corroded panel loose. Once semi loose I grabbed it with needle nose and wiggled it free. Cutting the existing connector off the panel before removal would be easiest.

I peeled back the fabric of the existing connector cable, you basically need a lot of that cable since it is a stretch through the door to the existing transformer. I thought better to use the factory transformer since it was still working. Although the light are a little different, side to side, but it doesn't matter much since no one sees both at the same time.

Any way, peeled back and soldered on to the new panel. Sliding in from the inside is easiest and fits under the door sill pretty snuggly. I didn't add any water proofing or adhesive. Overall, probably a half hour or 45 min job.
The following users liked this post:
GT3dailydriver (08-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Illuminated door sill not working