Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction to this forum-first water cooled Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 01:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jibmaster1
I actually agree with you a lot. My friend Fred and I were comparing his 993 C4S and my 997.2 C4S and just how close they compare-especially in the lines. When I was doing the paint correction I realized just how much the curves were so similar to the 993 I just sold. So far I can say the Ceramic coating is unbelievable. I did my research and followed typical guidelines which include: wash, iron decontaminate, clay bar, then paint correction (on a black car get ready to spend A LOT of time in this phase-I actually did a heavy cut compound and then a med-light polish), dilute IPA with new microfiber cloths, and then applied the Ceramic per manufacturing recommendations. 2'x2' area at a time and wait around 45-60 secs for it to "flash", then buff, buff, buff with new micro-fiber towels. Two younger guys that work at the local P dealer had both worked in detail for a few years. I fed them beer and pizza to help me with the Ceramic coat application as I was actually getting a bit burned out on the 40hrs of prep I had just done-all three of us about 3-5mins into the job were all blown away at the appearance of the coating and how shiny and how we all felt it left this nice solid coating all over it.
I used the Avalon King Amor Shield product which is a consumer grade product that is suppose to last a solid 1-2yrs. Hit me up if you have any questions on tools needed, etc. The main difference really is in the way it forms a bonding coat on the car that is more durable vs wax. I won't use wax ever again to be honest. You have to do it every 3-4 months!
Many thanks for the thorough explanation of the process. I really feel like I have to have this done now. Given the description of the time and effort though I'm tempted to let a professional detailer do the job. I like to tinker with my car but this sounds like a lot more than tinkering. Both time consuming and exhausting.
The following users liked this post:
jibmaster1 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 02:32 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to the 997 club Jibmaster! Sounds like this Basalt black C4S hit the jack pot for a new owner. Your passion for cars, maintenance, and meticulous DIY projects will be a great fit in this crowd. Great to hear your insight coming from the air-cooled world and we can tell you just have a passion for Porsche, no matter which model. Enjoy in good health and look forward to hearing more stories and projects from ya on the forums.
jibmaster1 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 12:53 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome! Beautiful spec. Sweet garage setup.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:41 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Air to Water

I have been lucky enough to have 993 C4S - amazing vehicle, the sound, smell, feel, and specially the tuning-fork ping you get when you shut the doors.....the metal body was at it's best.
From the C4S I jumped to a 997 07 manual coupe Turbo.....Wow....one of the best all around money can buy and nothing can replace the mid-range boost that car can deliver.
Wanting to scale back a bit and go naturally aspirated, I searched earnestly for a 997.2 manual coupe as I thought it offers the last of the "analog" feel with modern AC, well done interior, and the lines of a classic. Throw in some decent horsepower, and the whole package is hard not to like. Also, although the prices seem to be holding and/or escalating, good cars can be purchased for 30-40% less than a comparable 993.........that is hard to get passed.
Good luck with the new-old one, and yes, all Porsches are special.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:41 PM
jibmaster1
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Hula-
I really dig your signature statement. So much truth in that!

Last edited by jibmaster1; 10-10-2020 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Hula (10-10-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Rulaxin12
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Wow, the paint correction and your expertise and insight is appreciated! The 997 folks seem like the best group to be a part of.

I purchased my first Porsche 2010 c4s basalt beige 6 spd, just like yours a year ago... it’s a dream. Interesting viewpoints on the 993 to 997 transition..I really heavily considered a 993 and sometimes consider the “cool” factor of a 993 is something I may do in the future. For people who don’t know what it is, just looks like an old Porsche. The same people who see my 997.2 c4s think it’s a brand new $100k+ car! I’d rather fly under the radar a bit but think the performance diff between the two would be too great for me... not to mention the cost delta as well. Only other upgrade I could think of was 997tt but after driving one, wasn’t for me.

Look into dsc controller for a huge improvement in pasm suspension, as well as sharkwerks center bypass for a nice upgrade in sound.

jibmaster1 (10-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Introduction to this forum-first water cooled Porsche!