Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 smelling like gas from outside

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020 | 07:49 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Default 997 smelling like gas from outside

Owned BMW's all my life and very familiar with them but this is my first Porsche I've ever owned so still not very knowledgeable. I own a 2007 997 with a 4.0 engine in it with only 3k miles on it. The car runs and drives perfectly but I do seem to have an issue with it. After coming from a drive and parking the car back in my garage, there is a strong gas smell that stays in the garage almost as though there is gas leaking from somewhere. I don't see any visible leaks or gas spills on the ground anywhere and I can't seem to pin point where it's coming from by smelling. I tried smelling near the gas cap, engine, exhaust but the smell doesn't really get stronger. No check engine lights either. Actually the other day, I just had to turn the key to the start position and not even start the car and I was smelling some gas outside. There is no gas smell that comes inside the cabin at all even before starting or driving or after driving.

Would anyone have any clue where this is coming from? Is it normal for these cars to smell a bit? How should I go about diagnosing this?

I do have a fabspeed intake and AWE exhaust. If there's any additional information you need that may be helpful please let me know.
Old 09-18-2020 | 08:57 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

You might have bad injectors, or a leak in a fuel line, neither one would really leave anything visible, but might be spreading fuel on your engine.

Old 09-18-2020 | 09:14 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
You might have bad injectors, or a leak in a fuel line, neither one would really leave anything visible, but might be spreading fuel on your engine.
It actually has brand new injectors so i'm assuming that may not be the issue unless one of the injectors i bought turned out to be bad. Is there any additional steps I can take to verify if the injectors are bad?

Additionally, how could i check the leak in the fuel line? Would i have to jack up the car, take the plastic coverings off underneath and check for leaks assuming the fuel lines run underneath the car?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-18-2020 | 10:15 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

If your going to try this yourself there is PDF of the engine diagram somewhere on here that will show you the fuel line locations, but I might just start with a visual inspection when the car is cold, to see if a fitting seems loose anyplace. If you don't know what your engine guy did when the injectors were re-done start with that first, maybe give him a call, but I would guess the two are probably related, as they are both in the fuel system. I believe the fuel filter and some connections are behind the coolant reservoir.

I would also not do this inside a garage or near any flammables.
Old 09-19-2020 | 07:48 PM
chekraze
Racer

Leak at gas tank. Has happened to my MB
Old 09-19-2020 | 10:06 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Not 997 specific but I also have a BMW that smelled like fuel and that turned out to be a cracked nipple at the fuel pump. Not sure that’s helpful but just another data point.
Old 09-20-2020 | 12:08 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

id suspect a leak in the carbon canister system

Old 09-20-2020 | 05:05 AM
BLU997
Racer

Originally Posted by mchrono
id suspect a leak in the carbon canister system
I like @mchrono suggested scent source.Where in car do they hide the carbon canister?

Is the canister servicable? new carbon pods available?

I get a whiff of petrol after a "full tank" drive, at all other times, gas smell is undetectable.

Last edited by BLU997; 09-20-2020 at 05:07 AM. Reason: More questions
Old 09-20-2020 | 07:27 PM
David350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nosubstitue531
... Actually the other day, I just had to turn the key to the start position and not even start the car and I was smelling some gas outside...
if you start to smell it after turning the key on it is probably fuel pump or somewhere along the line

Quick Reply: 997 smelling like gas from outside