Sponsored by:

It’s Mine! 2006 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 10:36 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by ace17
I picked it up for 30k. Based on what’s out there that I have seen with 42k miles, no accidents clean stock car I felt it was good price.
Thats a most excellent price -sounds like a motivated seller. You can do some minor mods, keep it maintained, put another 40k miles on it and get a good chunk of what you paid for it some years down the road. One of the best bargains in the Porsche world today assuming a good PPI.
The following users liked this post:
ace17 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:33 PM
ace17
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Thats a most excellent price -sounds like a motivated seller. You can do some minor mods, keep it maintained, put another 40k miles on it and get a good chunk of what you paid for it some years down the road. One of the best bargains in the Porsche world today assuming a good PPI.
Well that’s encouraging for sure. Thanks. PPI was clean. Only issue was rear tires were 5/32. Rev report I posted on another thread was clean according to guys comments.

Got a production date of 06/05. Hoping it’s the non-serviceable bearing. But you don’t know till you open up is what my understanding is. I assume that the non-serviceable is what you want. Again according to what I read on forums not from any experience.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Well that’s encouraging for sure. Thanks. PPI was clean. Only issue was rear tires were 5/32. Rev report I posted on another thread was clean according to guys comments.

Got a production date of 06/05. Hoping it’s the non-serviceable bearing. But you don’t know till you open up is what my understanding is. I assume that the non-serviceable is what you want. Again according to what I read on forums not from any experience.

FWIW mine is a 03/05 build date and has the larger bearing (visually confirmed) so yours most likely does. If it needs a clutch you can confirm. I was going to change mine out, but then discovered it had the larger one, so i was good to go but incurred labor expense to find out at the end of the day. Were the bores scoped and how did they look?

ace17 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:35 PM
ace17
Instructor

I know I’ll get hammered for this one too. But based on rev report And maintenance I didn’t feel it was needed. Rolled the dice a little but I think that’s a bit blown out of proportion.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Keep an eye on the oil usage, loud slapping noises from the motor, excessive soot on tailpipes, mainly driver side I believe. If all that checks out you should be good for quite awhile. Anecdotal, but I believe the 3.6s are less prone. Mine burns no oil, etc and has been running perfect (knock on wood) and pulls like a freight train to redline when i hammer her so far FWIW. Oh, and it sounds /is euphoric at the high revs, with simple gundo and hemholtz mod.
Scalp_em (09-17-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

I picked it up for 30k. Based on what’s out there that I have seen with 42k miles, no accidents clean stock car I felt it was good price.
Sounds like a great price given the miles and a clean PPI. You did very well imo. As for lowering it, Eibach springs have been mentioned. Nothing wrong with that but as long as you're going with springs rather than coilovers, consider H&R's. The base car sits a little higher than the S from the factory and can easily handle the extra .25" drop of the H&R's vs. the Eibachs.

To complete the stance transformation I think most will agree you'll need wheel spacers too. Inexpensive and easy to install. Here's an old thread on spacers. All kinds of opinions on the size of the spacers: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...7-spacers.html
ace17 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:10 AM
ace17
Instructor

After 1400 miles the cars finally home! since everyone is on the bore score kick and I didn’t do a bore scope. I checked my oil level using the on board computer and didn’t burn a drop! Still registered as full. The car had a fresh oil change right before I left Denver. Now my driveway does have a slight incline but if there was bore scoring issue the oil level would register down a few lines or more I would assume. Again assuming no expert. I said I was gonna wait for wheels but I am a sucker for a god deal! Wheels should be here next week! Gotta figure out suspension still.

now let the games begin of me vs 997. It did give me a weird start issue. I stopped for fuel and went to restart it and nothing. No clicks no nothing nada. Like I didn’t have the clutch engaged. I text fellow rennlister and he mentioned possible a clutch switch? It did start after 3 or 4 turns. Weird.

Last edited by ace17; 09-26-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:22 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 272 Posts

Congrats again ,again on your purchase and homecoming trip. As we all knew, your trip home was going to be a great chapter in your 997 experience book. As to your start comment, two things to consider are1) operator error in not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor , this easily happens as you are new to the car and all of the newness excitement will have a big effect on many things until you settle down and gain experience. This same thing applies to people to comment on shifting 1 to 2 notcheness until they hone their driving styles. 2) the stupid clutch switch is a weak point on these cars (just like the horns) and most have been replaced at least once. Cheap part, easy to do. On suspension subject, please research the ride quality first and not the advertised drop dimension. You want to lower the car for sure, however a couple of mm means nothing when the ride quality will be different depending on the springs you choose. I can only say that the TechArt (by Eibach) springs make a superior ride feel over the stock suspension. I will not comment on other choices. Go enjoy your car!
ace17 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:56 PM
ace17
Instructor

Last pics that y’all don’t care to see. My little guys came out to help this morning! She’s all cleaned up! Can’t help but take pictures! And of course he managed to scratch it with the hose nozzle. Just a tiny scratch. Probably won’t be the last scratch he manages to put on it. Gotta get the car seat in it so he can go for ride!

The following 2 users liked this post by ace17:
PierW (09-26-2020), VT Blue (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:15 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

n/m

Last edited by Ericson38; 09-26-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Very nice. Same spec as mine except mine is an '05 and also same mileage. Definitely get it lowered-here is mine on Eibachs pros, one of the best mods i made. Mind me asking what you paid as (you can PM me if more comfortable). Would be a good data point for me and others here as well, again

On Eibach pros for reference

On Eibach pros for reference
if you are comfortable saying.
Those are great wheels. We have Lobster Forks (19") on our 2006 Base MT wide body 4wd.. What is the make, offset requirements, and diameter ? Could they be used on a Carrera 4 without additional offsetting ?
Old 09-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Eibach springs installed (with new bump stops and shock mounts while in there) about $1600 if I recollect; just the right drop in my opinion and ride is great. Also, with those wheels/tires (stock 18s I assume) you will need about a 20MM spacer on the back and 10 - 15MM on the front once dropped. Or, if you get new wheels make sure you research and get an aggressive offset (depends on what size /width you end up with) the so you may only need 7MM spacers on the back, if that, and possibly nothing on the front, maybe 5MM. Heed this advice if you are going to the expense of new wheels, I have the exact same car and prior set up, so I kind of know a little bit from experience. By dumb luck I stumbled on to a set that works for me based on another RL member's input to go for a 18" Cayman fitment for the particular wheels I purchased .
Old 09-26-2020, 05:53 PM
ace17
Instructor

I cant keep up with offsets and this and that in my head. I’m terrible with numbers anyway. But these are the wheels I bought from rennlister. Very knowledgeable guy and hopefully won’t need spacers.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1213902#post16917092
PierW (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:55 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Eibach springs installed (with new bump stops and shock mounts while in there) about $1600 if I recollect; just the right drop in my opinion and ride is great. Also, with those wheels/tires (stock 18s I assume) you will need about a 20MM spacer on the back and 10 - 15MM on the front once dropped. Or, if you get new wheels make sure you research and get an aggressive offset (depends on what size /width you end up with) the so you may only need 7MM spacers on the back, if that, and possibly nothing on the front, maybe 5MM. Heed this advice if you are going to the expense of new wheels, I have the exact same car and prior set up, so I kind of know a little bit from experience. By dumb luck I stumbled on to a set that works for me based on another RL member's input to go for a 18" Cayman fitment for the particular wheels I purchased .
Are your 5-spoke wheels aftermarket or Porsche ? They remind me of the late 70s early 80s. Very cool.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:07 PM
ace17
Instructor

Last edited by ace17; 09-26-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: It’s Mine! 2006 997