Close to stock non-PASM suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 01:29 AM
hamishpotter
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Close to stock non-PASM suspension options

Hello All and pardon in advance if this is well trodden topic,

The p/o of my 2008 997 C2 (non PASM) installed some aggressive BC coilovers and I think adjusted them primarily for aggressive stance, since there is zero down travel left.

I'm looking for a near stock replacement. Maybe a tad lower and firmer than stock but not something for the track. This is my daily driver.

So far I've been looking into Bilstein B6, B8, B12 Pro, And B16 adjustable. I'm a bit confused by the marketing descriptions at this point.

Any advice would be welcome, thank you in advance.

J
Old 09-15-2020, 01:50 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Could you take the existing set up shop and have them adjust the coil overs and set up to be less aggressive? Maybe that will get you most of the way there.

i have bilstein pss9s on my car which I think are the older version of the b12s but don’t quote me on that. They are adjustable, and you can get your stance dialed in nicely but they’re definitely stiff. If you want close to stock but slightly lower I think it would be a combo of the b8s with some aftermarket springs but some other folks with experience with those set ups will likely chime in.

The following users liked this post:
hamishpotter (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I'd try and adjust what you have first. Raise the ride height (turn the spring perches up) to increase the available travel of the suspension and reduce the compression dampening settings. This is the one that makes it feel very stiff and uncomfortable. Also reduce the rebound dampening, but that's the one you'll probably then have to tweak until you get it to where you like it, where when the suspension rebounds or goes back up, it doesn't feel bouncy. As an FYI, the rebound dampening is where the stock PASM suspension is lacking and not adjustable and why I went to Bilstein coilovers on my car.

Did the PO just install coilovers or did he also do something with adjustable sway bars and drop links? If so, you can probably soften these too by mounting the drop links in a different hole and make sure they're adjusted so the arm of the bar is level and has 0 preload when the car is sitting on the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
hamishpotter (09-15-2020)
Old 06-28-2023, 07:06 PM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Dearest OP, has the addition of the new shock system eliminated the bouncing sensation when encountering a mid corner surface imperfection?

Last edited by GentianGentleman; 06-29-2023 at 08:24 PM. Reason: i did that thing where you scroll too far and end up in another thread in a different part of rennlist..
Old 06-29-2023, 05:22 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

After doing what is suggested above (adjusting your current coilover setup), and if that doesn't suit what you're looking for, Bilstein B4 (non-damptronic) coupled with oem springs would be what I'd consider "as close to stock" as you can get.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:29 PM
PLF69
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

.wrong thread

Last edited by PLF69; 05-30-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:35 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,343 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by GentianGentleman
Dearest OP, has the addition of the new shock system eliminated the bouncing sensation when encountering a mid corner surface imperfection?
Not apropos to a non-PASM car, but the DSC box cures that affliction and provides a more compliant ride in COMFORT or SPORT.
Damper reaction time is exponentially faster. Dive and squat are reduced as well.
Ride height is, of course hardware. Unless you have air suspension...

Quick Reply: Close to stock non-PASM suspension options