Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK - gears not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020 | 02:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PV997
I think lots of folks are like I was and still envision the AT as the old slush-o-matic from 30 years ago. It wasn't until I spent some serious time with the PDK that I really started to get it and grew to appreciate it.
Pretty much my path away from MT's too. Still some ardent manual guys out there, especially in this forum. The most common argument seems to be "involvement". As I said in an earlier thread it sounds as if a lot of PDK haters haven't really explored all aspects of it though. Some admit to leaving it in auto at all times. Others have PDK without sport chrono and a surprising number never use sport + even if they do have sport chrono.

I think PDK with sport chrono can be highly involving if you utilize it to its full extent which again, a lot of PDK users clearly don't do by their own admissions. Just a different more up to date kind of involvement compared to a MT.
Old 09-21-2020 | 10:20 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 160K

Involving yes, but there is more... i am a fan on MT for sure. I can't see myself owning a PDK.

Reasons I love MTs:

1 - Being a kid watching racing on the weekends and with slot cars and HO.... shifting was always in the kid fantasy... sitting on the coutch air-shifting. No different than air guitar.
2 - Acquired skill.... it is fun. Rev matching / heel toeing is the real skill associated with MTs and it is not easy to get it right. I think most folks with MTs are not even aware of it as a skill or understand its importance both in smooth operation and clutch wear. It takes much practice to be automatic in our brains. Plus, it is infinitely variable as your current RPM and target RPM are always variable. Every time I downshift, I have to think... I have to slide my heel out to the right... I have to listen to the engine .... I have to think and take an action. In my 2000 Boxster S, I got 197,000 on the original clutch and don't know how far it would have gone because the engine blew and killed the car. IMO, no clutch should fail under say 150K miles.... if it does, you do not know how to rev match / heel toe.

MTs and their proper operation is an aquired skill and really fun. It provides a skilled driver with an element of control over the car that a PDK or automatic provides automatically... but with a loss of driver input. It is fun.

BTW: Yes, I am a Neanderthal.... I hate that locking thing when on a hill. Even holding the car on a hill is a learned skill (using handbrake)... and I like knowing how to do that well too!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-21-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2020 | 01:59 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I learned the handbrake hold as well ... A foot operated handbrake at that. With a bad cross stabilizer bar on the clutch linkage that required putting your toe under the clutch pedal to pull it up before it would then spring up quickly requiring a fast foot motion to get on top of the pedal. My parents wouldn't let me fix the bar (new bushings) until I learned to drive it as is. I had to pass my driver test with it that way.

As far as auto hill hold ... My brother in law's 48 Studebaker truck had that. If tilted back on a hill a ball would roll to block the brake fluid return to the master cylinder, thus holding the brakes on. The clutch linkage then pushed the ball out of the way to release the brakes.

I love a good MT but am equally in love with the PDK. Previous responses here have been refreshing. Especially regarding how a PDK (DCT) makes no sense in sub 4 second cars. I remember my 58 ****** with Sprint car motor. It also had 538 diffs. Driving that was a constant shift shift shift as fast as you could move your left leg. The manual really made no sense. Generally you simply skipped gears. That was a bit stupid as well.

And as with others here with ripped apart knees and too many broken backs, the PDK is a marvel that allows me to continue to enjoy driving.

PDK vs MT ... First world problems!!! We're a lucky bunch.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
David350 (09-21-2020), Doug H (09-21-2020), Ironman88 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-22-2020 | 12:43 AM
chekraze
Racer

Originally Posted by PV997
Hey groovzilla, always enjoy your posts. For nearly 30 years of driving MT 911's I felt exactly the same way you did, and never would have even considered an AT. Then, unfortunately, I got old. I settled for the PDK because my knees are shot and I deal with LA westside traffic. I was skeptical at first but have become a believer (always in Sport mode), the car is a joy to drive and the transmission is nothing like the old slushboxes that I expected. The adaptive intelligence seems like it's reading my mind regarding shift points if I'm not shifting manually.

Yeah, failure cost is high, but the failure rate is very low so if you look at it across the fleet the average cost per owner is lower than MT (due to no clutch jobs). That's little comfort if you happen to be the unlucky guy who has a complete failure and needs a remanufactured $14k transmission though. There's one electrical part in particular inside the PDK (distance sensor) that Porsche refuses to make available and insists the transmission be replaced if it fails. We've been digging into it and the electrical component that can crap out is a $3 part so were trying to get more info to give folks a DIY option. The good news is that these failures are rare, and when a PDK malfunctions it's very likely to be something outside the transmission which is hopefully the case for David here.
In your opinion is it worth buying a warranty? I just bought a 2011 GTS PDK. It has 13K miles and apparently has had all recommended services at one dealer in SoCal. The PDK part is the only thing that makes me wary.
Old 09-22-2020 | 12:49 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chekraze
In your opinion is it worth buying a warranty? I just bought a 2011 GTS PDK. It has 13K miles and apparently has had all recommended services at one dealer in SoCal. The PDK part is the only thing that makes me wary.
You could probably pick up a Fidelity Platinum super cheap with such low mileage.
Old 09-22-2020 | 03:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Doug H
You could probably pick up a Fidelity Platinum super cheap with such low mileage.
Agree. Fidelity is all about or at least mostly about mileage. I wasted almost $2K waiting to to buy my Platinum policy at a few miles above 60K. According to Michael at Mossy Motors mjourdan@mossymotors.com I would have saved close to $2K had I bought the policy at 59,999 miles instead of just above 60K miles. They have their cutoff mileage references. He told me the next big one is 75K miles so if I understood him right, basically no difference in price between 60K miles and 75K miles.

Back to your point though and the OP's slight apprehension about the PDK. Failures are rare but expensive when they do happen. Like you said, with just 13K miles on the clock he should be able to get a Platinum policy for a very reasonable price removing any worries about the PDK failing.

Old 06-02-2021 | 04:45 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Originally Posted by David350
I was backing out of my garage this morning when I paused for a minute while I futzed with my phone. Car was in gear (reverse) and foot on the brake, maybe for 20 seconds. My driveway is short but has a nice slope to it. I took my foot of the brake and backed down the driveway. Turns out I was just coasting down because when I went to shift into drive, nothing engaged. I worked through the gears, nothing. No drive, no reverse basically stuck in neutral. The gear position dash indicator light would flash in each position. I shut the car off, start the car back up and I’m back in business. Shifts fine when driving. Someone point me in the right direction?
@David350 Did you get anywhere on your troubleshooting?
I'm researching a similar problem with my car (2012 997.2 c2s PDK). Occasionally from Park to reverse, or from Park to Drive, gear wouldn't engage. But for me it only takes moving the lever back to Park and shift again then it would go into gear (there are a few times I have to do that several times). Happen very sporadically, but I worry if it's an early sign of a bigger problem...
Old 06-02-2021 | 05:57 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by byroncheung
@David350 Did you get anywhere on your troubleshooting?
I'm researching a similar problem with my car (2012 997.2 c2s PDK). Occasionally from Park to reverse, or from Park to Drive, gear wouldn't engage. But for me it only takes moving the lever back to Park and shift again then it would go into gear (there are a few times I have to do that several times). Happen very sporadically, but I worry if it's an early sign of a bigger problem...
I would suspect the sensor adjustment on the shift lever first. What happens if you push the lever side to side and back and forth without returning to park?
Old 06-02-2021 | 06:21 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I would suspect the sensor adjustment on the shift lever first. What happens if you push the lever side to side and back and forth without returning to park?
I imagine the sensor adjustment is not a DIY but has to be done by a dealer?
I will try side to side / back and forth w/o returning to park next time it happens. What this extra information would tell you?
Old 06-02-2021 | 09:09 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

If knocking the shifter back and forth gets it in gear I would surmise the sensors are out of adjustment. I've never had a problem but have read of others that have had sensors on the shifter fail or become intermittent.

Quick Reply: PDK - gears not engaging