Sponsored by:

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I just get in the frunk and lift it out. It's just a battery. If you can remove a rear wheel you should be able to lift a battery out of the compartment.

I only use AGM batteries. My next battery in the 997s will be the new Optima Yellow top H6. Currently I have red top 34Rs or R34s in them.
I believe the 997.1 Base 3.6 takes a Optima Yellow H7. Correct?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:30 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Yeah, I figured as much.

Stupid mistake, I'll remember that one. Fortunately got away with though my wallet is lighter 1 battery.
Batteries are consumables. All is good. You didn't have the dealer do it = BIG $$$ cost avoidance, you did it yourself so you know it was done right, and best of all it won't need a new one for at least 4 years.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
Batteries are consumables. All is good. You didn't have the dealer do it = BIG $$$ cost avoidance, you did it yourself so you know it was done right, and best of all it won't need a new one for at least 4 years.
Yeah, it wasn't a big deal and I got out for under $200. Went with an H7 AGM from Costco. I put the old battery on my old Craftsman charger last night and it looks fully charged. Probably OK actually, but I think it was starting to go due to some newer electronics quirks. I was planning on changing it before I put the car away for winter anyways. I'm just glad I was able to get the frunk open and access it. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, life goes on.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:10 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 288 Posts

if you really want to know if the old battery has life left in it, just ask the costco folks to perform a load test on it. It takes only a minute or two.

When I recently swapped out my 7.5 year old wet cell battery, it was charging fine and indicating 12 volts. I did a quick starter test for voltage and did not like what I saw.

My tester and autozone's tester showed the same thing. Voltage normal, load test really bad.

Quick Reply: Dead battery