Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Low-profile lip for aerokit / GT3 bumper, providing more ground clearance?
Yes - I would buy one!
45.83%
No - I prefer OEM style
16.67%
Might be interested - one the fence - would need to see photos
33.33%
I don't have that style bumper - just show me the results
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Aerokit / GT3 Lip - would you be interested in a low-profile version?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020 | 09:41 PM
Jack667
Drifting

Default Poll: Aerokit / GT3 Lip - would you be interested in a low-profile version?

For several years, I've been thinking that the best option for a lip for our aerokits and GT3 bumpers would be some sort of low-profile version. (That is, a lip that is not as 'tall' as the OEM version, providing more ground clearance)
Downside is a bit less aero, and it would look nice and sporty, but it would not have a true OEM look.
Look at all these benefits:
- It would have a finished look. It would have a smooth arc along the bottom - like OEM version. Just less 'meat' along the whole bottom, left to right. I drive around quite a bit with no lip, but it's an unfinished look. Also, without a lip, it kinda looks like a Cayman front.
- it wouldn't connect with pavement and driveways as often. For those of us with these lips, it can be pretty annoying and frustrating
- it would last way longer. obviously, without being as low, and - per above - not contacting ground and other obstacles as often, you should expect a much longer life
- it would make more sense to paint to color of you wanted to choose that option. I have a black car and just install as-is, but for another color car, it would be much more feasible to paint, again given the longer life and less contact with ground, etc
- it would allow you to lower your car more, if you want to deal with the 'same' amount of lip clearance. I've heard many times that the only thing holding someone back from going lower is the lip. Go halfway lower - and still have more lip clearance!
- consider having one of these low-profile / extra clearance versions for the street and every day, and then swap out to your stock-ish super low clearance version for the track or Cars and Coffee events.

Select one of the options in the poll. I've been in contact with a supplier and if there's enough interest, they would consider developing these

Last edited by Jack667; 09-04-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2020 | 08:34 AM
Jack667
Drifting

There's a photo on the GT2/GT3 board that's ideal for doing a render. Who wants to take a crack at it. I tried but I need to get to my other computer with better editing tools. In the meantime, chack out this grade school version of an edit:

Old 09-05-2020 | 12:30 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Jack667 (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020 | 05:41 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

I would certainly be in. (C2S with factory aero) As it is I use the black poly GT3 lip and shave it down by about a half inch before putting it on. You can finish the bottom off with the L shaped self adhesive door edge trim. Still drags occasionally but not near as often. And the door edge trim takes the hit so I just replace the trim when it gets bad. I have a painted (guards red) aero-kit lip and a fresh GT3 poly lip hanging in the garage for when needed.

The following 2 users liked this post by LeNoah:
Gene_GaTech (09-06-2020), Jack667 (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020 | 08:35 PM
Jack667
Drifting

Originally Posted by LeNoah
I would certainly be in. (C2S with factory aero) As it is I use the black poly GT3 lip and shave it down by about a half inch before putting it on. You can finish the bottom off with the L shaped self adhesive door edge trim. Still drags occasionally but not near as often. And the door edge trim takes the hit so I just replace the trim when it gets bad. I have a painted (guards red) aero-kit lip and a fresh GT3 poly lip hanging in the garage for when needed.
What are you using to shave it down? Dremel? Jigsaw? I may end up going that route if we can't get enough interest.

I think it would be worth it for a supplier to develop this item and likely be the sole source. But there are tooling costs, etc.
Old 09-05-2020 | 10:09 PM
Lastdragon
Advanced

I have a Gt3 lip and a factory aero front lip the factor aero front lip is around 1” longer than the Gt3 lip.
Old 09-06-2020 | 01:26 PM
pires
Intermediate

I use my driveway to shave mine down
I would be interested!
The following users liked this post:
Gene_GaTech (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020 | 01:50 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

I would be open to look at anything that does NOT need to be painted. I have a C4S and a factory solution now. I understand that a deeper strip may be available using the GT3 or GT3RS front strip.
Old 09-07-2020 | 09:25 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Actually I score it with a mat knife. Then, just keep going over it until it cuts through. Then, file it down to get a smooth edge. BTW, the car in the photo is not the one with aero kit.
Old 09-07-2020 | 09:37 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post15485766

Quick Reply: Poll: Aerokit / GT3 Lip - would you be interested in a low-profile version?