Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Short Shifter Cabin Noise Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 08:48 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Blue997, it's a bit off topic, but did your work on the Bose improve the sound, and if so, in what way? Thanks.

Originally Posted by BLU997
Great photos, if there aren't photos did it ever really happen?

I have a Numeric shifter in my car, I'm yet to fit the Numeric cables, I really appreciate your insight, solution and follow up, well done!

in 2018, I lined my Bose Subwoofer with stick on sound deadener, and packed it with acoustic polywool.

Works well.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:07 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Low dollar punch.

Originally Posted by ewc
Blue997, it's a bit off topic, but did your work on the Bose improve the sound, and if so, in what way? Thanks.
Hi @ewc I just saw this post by lic265, and did the same. It works by preventing the lightweight plastic enclosure from reverberating thereby muddying the bass with errant sonic emission.

Relatively easy to do, and I already had heaps of materials available from another project.

The result is a tighter punch in the sound without the boomy hangover.

Cheers, C

The following users liked this post:
ewc (10-11-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, are these the best shifters to get?
I have searched and found so many different opinions - perhaps that's it - there is no best, just the one that you like the best.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:29 AM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jpdp
Just curious, are these the best shifters to get?
I have searched and found so many different opinions - perhaps that's it - there is no best, just the one that you like the best.
it is hard to argue that it is not the best. From a design stand point there is nothing like it. You could argue that the shifter it self does not in fact make the most difference or improve the shifting any more then some other options.

what I think is completely undeniable is that the cables are what makes the most difference in how the shift action improves.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:36 PM
edgecrusher29
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

So glad I found this, I was fearing the worst after my Numeric SSK and cables were installed. Just to confirm, mine sounds like a gear whine that increases with speed, but is independent of the gear the car is in, and at highway speed it stays the same if I depress the clutch or put the car in neutral. Is that what you guys heard as well? Praying it’s not a wheel bearing or something in the rear diff of my c4.
The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (06-23-2023)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:07 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by edgecrusher29
So glad I found this, I was fearing the worst after my Numeric SSK and cables were installed. Just to confirm, mine sounds like a gear whine that increases with speed, but is independent of the gear the car is in, and at highway speed it stays the same if I depress the clutch or put the car in neutral. Is that what you guys heard as well? Praying it’s not a wheel bearing or something in the rear diff of my c4.
Nope just the cables, as there is no isolator in the cable to gearbox connection with the Numeric cables; makes the gear shifts feel awesome, but add the cabin noise.

I have some extra sound dampening material, hit me up if interested, it really did help; it won’t go away completely but you can really tame it, I no longer hear it on the highway.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:21 PM
edgecrusher29
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Appreciate the offer, it doesn’t bother me so much as it concerned me that a rotating part or bearing or something with gears in it was failing. I’d only put about 300 miles on the car before it went to the shop for the winter so I also thought it was possible I was crazy and the sound was there all along.

Quick Reply: Numeric Short Shifter Cabin Noise Question