Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Internal Investigation for 997.2 Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020 | 10:17 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tj40
https://m.carcomplaints.com/news/202...missions.shtml

I've read it and I don't get it - first guy had a error code?
I too read it. In summary, Mr Chadha is a little bitch.
Old 11-18-2020 | 09:05 AM
Porschejam
Instructor

What a weasel.

It's lawsuits like this that give ambulance chasing a bad name.

Turns out he accidentally purchased a Porsche when he was attempting to buy a Prius.

-----------

But Chadha claims the 911 was equipped with an emissions defeat device to bypass the emissions controls and fool consumers and regulators. The plaintiff says the car doesn't deliver the advertised emissions and fuel economy, and it has caused him to lose money and caused the vehicle to lose its value.

The plaintiff claims part of the reason he purchased the sports car was because of the emissions and fuel economy advertised by Porsche, but the advertisements didn't mention the car was equipped with a device to defeat the emissions controls.

"Had Volkswagen and Porsche disclosed this design, and the fact that Mr. Chadha vehicle emitted unlawfully high levels of pollutants, Mr. Chadha would not have purchased the vehicle, or would have paid less for it." - Porsche class action lawsuit

Last edited by Porschejam; 11-18-2020 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PowderJunkie (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 09:33 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

LOL - maybe he was driving all the time in 'Sport' or 'Sport +' mode and didn't realise that the MPG numbers don't apply when these modes are on??
Old 11-18-2020 | 09:55 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschejam
What a weasel.

It's lawsuits like this that give ambulance chasing a bad name.

Turns out he accidentally purchased a Porsche when he was attempting to buy a Prius.

-----------

But Chadha claims the 911 was equipped with an emissions defeat device to bypass the emissions controls and fool consumers and regulators. The plaintiff says the car doesn't deliver the advertised emissions and fuel economy, and it has caused him to lose money and caused the vehicle to lose its value.

The plaintiff claims part of the reason he purchased the sports car was because of the emissions and fuel economy advertised by Porsche, but the advertisements didn't mention the car was equipped with a device to defeat the emissions controls.

"Had Volkswagen and Porsche disclosed this design, and the fact that Mr. Chadha vehicle emitted unlawfully high levels of pollutants, Mr. Chadha would not have purchased the vehicle, or would have paid less for it." - Porsche class action lawsuit
What frickin losers, both the Chadha and the Chadha lawyer. WTH is a Chadha. Is this part of a Florida election ballot?

Exactly, why I grew sick of being a lawyer. Both the profession and the clients they represent are a bunch losers trying to get free money.

Chadha will get a service coupon and lawyer will get a whole lot more than deserved, especially in the great State of California. The judges and folks out there are the reason crap lawsuits like this exist. In most States, this sucker would be tossed or litigated to end to force Plaintiffs’ class counsel to spend more time and money or resources than they could ever recoup.
Old 11-18-2020 | 10:20 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ADias
The fact that the lawsuit is taking place in San Francisco is telling. . . ..
Yep, this. If you are in Cali, you pretty much only have yourselves to blame for crap like this.

I spent 25 years representing large corporations and fortune 500 companies against class actions and collective action lawsuits. Guess where most were filed . . .. Guess why . . ..

Throughout the 2000s, most of the defective drug class actions were filed in small, rural, mostly black, liberal podunk Mississippi towns against poor little mom and pop pharmacies that didn't have a clue . . . about anything really. Now, pretty much everything class action, especially wage and hour, are filed in the great State of California and a whole lot of what I handled for years was filed in Orange County and removed to Riverside Federal Court so its not just San Francisco.

This stuff gets filed because certain state/populations/juries support this free money mentality and because certain populations/states elect representatives/judges and etc. that tolerate this and have a redistribution of wealth mentality. Sadly, I live most of the time in a city where a bunch of other Californians are escaping to because of the problems created by this mentality in California only to bring that same mentality here. Lol, smart people they are.

That said, RICO and other claims pled have pretty tough SOLs and Statutes of Repose, but that probably won't matter in front of a California judge. I am sure they chose their court carefully before filing.
Ironman88 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 10:29 AM
Porschejam
Instructor

Interestingly, he bought his car used, and could probably recap most of what he paid if he sold it today.

But I suppose he (and his lawyer) stands to gain a lot more in the lawsuit lottery.
Old 11-18-2020 | 10:36 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschejam
Interestingly, he bought his car used, and could probably recap most of what he paid if he sold it today.

But I suppose he (and his lawyer) stands to gain a lot more in the lawsuit lottery.
Named Plaintiff in class action may get a $5,000 "extra bump" on top of coupon or the free reflash for "hassle" of being a class representative. Dude is not going to get a whole lot, but some don't care. Some are so cheap or pathetic, they would stand in line 12 hours and sell their first born for a free turkey or negotiate for days to get $10 off something they really did not want in the first place.
Old 11-18-2020 | 12:18 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
Yep, this. If you are in Cali, you pretty much only have yourselves to blame for crap like this.

I spent 25 years representing large corporations and fortune 500 companies against class actions and collective action lawsuits. Guess where most were filed . . .. Guess why . . ..

Throughout the 2000s, most of the defective drug class actions were filed in small, rural, mostly black, liberal podunk Mississippi towns against poor little mom and pop pharmacies that didn't have a clue . . . about anything really. Now, pretty much everything class action, especially wage and hour, are filed in the great State of California and a whole lot of what I handled for years was filed in Orange County and removed to Riverside Federal Court so its not just San Francisco.

This stuff gets filed because certain state/populations/juries support this free money mentality and because certain populations/states elect representatives/judges and etc. that tolerate this and have a redistribution of wealth mentality. Sadly, I live most of the time in a city where a bunch of other Californians are escaping to because of the problems created by this mentality in California only to bring that same mentality here. Lol, smart people they are.

That said, RICO and other claims pled have pretty tough SOLs and Statutes of Repose, but that probably won't matter in front of a California judge. I am sure they chose their court carefully before filing.
This is the story in Idaho too. Californians pouring in... And the native Idahoans who are (genuinely and by nature) welcoming people, detest the arrogance and attitude of superiority that some of the Californians bring with them. Bringing the mindset to "improve" Idaho (as they have improved the state that they chose to flee from...)

Old 11-18-2020 | 01:04 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

I get that it’s fun to bash “liberal” California but I too am a class action defense attorney and my clients get sued in the great “red state” of Florida all the time. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
Old 11-18-2020 | 01:27 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some of you are a day behind in terms of anger over this. The plaintiff(s) motivation isn’t based upon feeling cheated as the result of acquiring an inferior or broken product. This is simply an attack on a group of people (Porsche Owners - who will not be defended by any other groups) for purposes ... that ... the enumeration and discussion of which are ... non-technical.

Suffice to write that “Some men just want to watch the world burn” and that the plaintiff(s) fall(s) into that category.

Old 11-18-2020 | 01:37 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alfnado
I get that it’s fun to bash “liberal” California but I too am a class action defense attorney and my clients get sued in the great “red state” of Florida all the time. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
Ah man, don't get offended or take it personally if not applicable to you, you are not of the wealth transfer is good I am owed, where is mine without working mentality.

I have to say, I always leaned more liberal than conservative (last time I voted was for Obama). My pocket book got just as impacted, if not more, by tort reform and class action reform than Plaintiff's lawyers and I also tried 7 Bellwether drug cases on Plaintiff's side resulting in close to $300 mm in jury verdicts. Pretty much always handled both side throughout my career. At least I worked for it in my Bellwether trials, but my clients all died or got breast cancer in those cases.

What types of suits are getting filed in Florida. I practiced there as well. Much less class action going on there and the courts are much more scrutinizing.
Old 11-18-2020 | 01:39 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Some of you are a day behind in terms of anger over this. The plaintiff(s) motivation isn’t based upon feeling cheated as the result of acquiring an inferior or broken product. This is simply an attack on a group of people (Porsche Owners - who will not be defended by any other groups) for purposes ... that ... the enumeration and discussion of which are ... non-technical.

Suffice to write that “Some men just want to watch the world burn” and that the plaintiff(s) fall(s) into that category.
It's a lot less nuanced than that. Plaintiffs lawyers typically put up ads soliciting people who own "X" vehicle, and when they find those people, they promise them a couple thousand dollar "incentive award" for serving as the named plaintiff. These ads appear on websites, in commercials, on Craigslist, etc. Most people think "Hey, $3-5k to sit for a deposition and attend a mediation? Cool." In my years of practice, I have met very few plaintiffs who were "true believers." They do exist, but they are rare. This is not an attack by any specific group of people on Porsche owners, it's a group of plaintiffs lawyers looking to make a quick buck and buy another private jet for their firm.
Old 11-18-2020 | 01:53 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
Ah man, don't get offended or take it personally if not applicable to you, you are not of the wealth transfer is good I am owed, where is mine without working mentality.

I have to say, I always leaned more liberal than conservative (last time I voted was for Obama). My pocket book got just as impacted, if not more, by tort reform and class action reform than Plaintiff's lawyers and I also tried 7 Bellwether drug cases on Plaintiff's side resulting in close to $300 mm in jury verdicts. Pretty much always handled both side throughout my career. At least I worked for it in my Bellwether trials, but my clients all died or got breast cancer in those cases.

What types of suits are getting filed in Florida. I practiced there as well. Much less class action going on there and the courts are much more scrutinizing.
Oh I don't take it personally. Just wanted to point out that pure econ loss plaintiffs lawyers like the ones bringing this suit suck everywhere.

Florida has been a favorite for TCPA and economic loss auto-defect cases, like this Porsche case. Same group of lawyers cutting and pasting the same allegations into different complaints and "ctrl + f " and "replace" with whatever automaker they haven't sued yet.

Last edited by Alfnado; 11-18-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:21 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alfnado
It's a lot less nuanced than that. Plaintiffs lawyers typically put up ads soliciting people who own "X" vehicle, and when they find those people, they promise them a couple thousand dollar "incentive award" for serving as the named plaintiff. These ads appear on websites, in commercials, on Craigslist, etc. Most people think "Hey, $3-5k to sit for a deposition and attend a mediation? Cool." In my years of practice, I have met very few plaintiffs who were "true believers." They do exist, but they are rare. This is not an attack by any specific group of people on Porsche owners, it's a group of plaintiffs lawyers looking to make a quick buck and buy another private jet for their firm.
True, but they ain't going to be buying a private jet for any firm based on this lawsuit.
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:32 PM
Kineticdg
Racer

Douchebags and bad judges exist everywhere (just look at the number of people on "disability" in rural areas), let's not let this forum devolve like everything else...

But back to the main topic- will there be an international Dieselgate-type problem for Porsche on these cars? Or is this just a minor issue, Porsche being cautious after getting burned on the Cayenne motors? Any updates on any potential government actions that would *actually* matter?
850tgul (11-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Porsche Internal Investigation for 997.2 Engines?