Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Widths, Comfort, vs 996, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 11:36 AM
HDH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seat Widths, Comfort, vs 996, etc.

Hi All, seat question.

In active search mode for a 997.1 or 996.2 (non-turbo). my first 911. I'm 5'7 175lbs, 42 inch chest athletic-ish build but I'm not a huge guy. I've driven one 996 with comfort seats, and one 997 with adaptive sports. Coming from my 328i with sport seats that fit like a glove, I'm having trouble deciding if the 99n seats are just too narrow to be comfortable enough to enjoy long term. Shoulder-wise, the comfort seat bolsters are the width of my shoulders and seem to dig right in. The adaptive sports feel better with those little 'winglets' that extend from the sides. Both feel about the same in the hips - rather tight, like I'm sitting on the bolsters - but just slightly, as if one extra inch would be perfect.
Added challenges are a lack of adaptive sports seats in cars in my price range, and not too many cars available in my area to begin with. No problem flying and driving, but I need to know what I want before doing that.

Anyone had similar issues and can offer advice? Love the 911's generally and want one, but I contact the seat more than anything else so it has to be right.

Thanks,
Howard

Last edited by HDH; 07-23-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by HDH
Hi All, seat question.

In active search mode for a 997.1 or 996.2 (non-turbo). my first 911. I'm 5'7 175lbs, 42 inch chest athletic-ish build but I'm not a huge guy. I've driven one 996 with comfort seats, and one 997 with adaptive sports. Coming from my 328i with sport seats that fit like a glove, I'm having trouble deciding if the 99n seats are just too narrow to be comfortable enough to enjoy long term. Shoulder-wise, the comfort seat bolsters are the width of my shoulders and seem to dig right in. The adaptive sports feel better with those little 'winglets' that extend from the sides. Both feel about the same in the hips - rather tight, like I'm sitting on the bolsters - but just slightly, as if one extra inch would be perfect.
Added challenges are a lack of adaptive sports seats in cars in my price range, and not too many cars available in my area to begin with. No problem flying and driving, but I need to know what I want before doing that.

Anyone had similar issues and can offer advice? Love the 911's generally and want one, but I contact the seat more than anything else so it has to be right.

Thanks,
Howard
Not clear on exactly what you want what all the specifics you mention. I suspect these will not be for you but for me, there's only one Porsche seat that connects you with the car like no other seat will which is why I'll even mention them to you. They're expensive, don't recline or move up or down. Just forward and aft. Sounds awful but I'm 6'3" and 197 lbs and full aft they're a perfect fit all around. Even with the lack of many adjustments available on other seats, Porsche somehow managed to get these right.

With your build, they should fit like a glove just like your 328i seats. Just a totally different experience. Makes you feel like you strap on the car as opposed to just sitting down in it. Also a little different getting in and out of but no big deal getting used to and they are very comfortable once seated.

Every now and then a used set will show up on the RL marketplace or Ebay for quiet a bit less than new retail. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT2SEATS.html

Quick Reply: Seat Widths, Comfort, vs 996, etc.