Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Trade my 997 for 991? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1202883-trade-my-997-for-991-a.html)

Sporty 07-08-2020 09:08 PM

Trade my 997 for 991?

I recently test drove a manual, lightly optioned 2014 4.5k mile blk on blk C2S. Car felt very nice, shifter sits a bit high in the consolefor my liking compared to my blk on blk '05 base C2 with 39.5k miles that i had since new, and just love even more so after putting on some new fake Fuchs wheels and a few other things. Something about an older car that is still tight and responsive and has kinda of an old scholl modern look.

Among the upgrades in the '14 are 75 more HP and about half a dozen other options that i don't have (ventilated seats, Nav, HIDs, BT, bigger brakes, better condition paint...). So basically MB dealer offers about $50k out the door even-steven with my trade and I believe a 30 powertrain warranty (no CPO)? BTW I was surprised how much the MB dealer offered on my C2 trade, and, as well discounted the 2014.

Another thing that gnaws at me is that I recently test drove a 4k mile 2019 Bullit (awesome american muscle with high fun factor) and full factory warranty that was local which I could've had all in for $40k and not have sold my 911, so that weighs against the 2014 decision because I can do that down the road and not lose my beloved '05 which I maybe would regret getting rid of.

Spending the money right now is not ideal but doable (3 kids in college) and wife prolly would not be thrilled, although with the Bullit that was going to be her daily in six months when her SUV lease is up, at least that was the selling point there. In hindsight I probably should've done that and stored it for six months (hide from the kids).

Your thoughts, been in similar situation, or consolations test drove other cars (dangerous thing to do)

Miamirice 07-08-2020 09:23 PM

Without all factors of options and money you should first start with asking yourself:
Do I want the shorter wheel base, less isolated, more primitive and more feedback experience? Or do I want the more GT experience.

I find the 2 cars very different and they both have pros and cons......for me Thst out weights all the other information.

Fisher7508 07-08-2020 09:44 PM

if you want to do something different for a bit, jump on the Bullit or similar and hold on to the 997. It all depends on where you want to end up. You are gonna have to get another car in 6 months anyway for the better half, so use this time to enjoy a 6 month test ride to ensure all the bugs are worked out :)

Ripking 07-08-2020 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Miamirice (Post 16759983)
Without all factors of options and money you should first start with asking yourself:
Do I want the shorter wheel base, less isolated, more primitive and more feedback experience? Or do I want the more GT experience.

I find the 2 cars very different and they both have pros and cons......for me Thst out weights all the other information.

Well said and each are appropriate for different things. I often go back and forth on my 997 choice, but I picked it for the more primitive more feedback experience that you suggest. But as a daily driver in LA, a 991 with PDK and a more GT experience is appealing. I think the answer for me is ultimately going to be getting a 2nd car as a daily that can just chew up the harsh LA streets.

groovzilla 07-08-2020 11:11 PM

I've been thinking the same thing.
Found a really nice one owner 2017 C4S Silver/Agate Grey Manual Transmission in Portland.
Just happens were are driving to Portland tomorrow and gonna check it out. I've never driven a 991 so looking forward to it.
I really love my '07 997S. I'm not sure paying another $50K is worth the effort. I hardly drive my car as it is. I do love the lines of the 2017.
I've heard the steering feels a lot different - Looking forward to the test drive.

aaks38 07-09-2020 12:24 AM

I had considered a 991 as well. But then opted that for the difference I could get a used M3. The market is saturated with 991s and most of them are sitting for months at most dealerships lots and aren't moving, probably due to the current economy. The 997s tend to sell easier due to their lower pricing and ease of admission. I think if your after a 991, you will be able to score a good deal especially in the months to come.

groovzilla 07-09-2020 12:47 AM

I guess I could look at the 991 purchase as similar to my 2nd marriage.
Model wife, so incredible to look at and had the new wife smell.
Beautiful lines/drove really nice. Didn't get used that much but cost a hell of a lot of money to maintain and lots more to get rid of.

:cool:

groovzilla 07-09-2020 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by aaks38 (Post 16760413)
I had considered a 991 as well. But then opted that for the difference I could get a used M3. The market is saturated with 991s and most of them are sitting for months at most dealerships lots and aren't moving, probably due to the current economy. The 997s tend to sell easier due to their lower pricing and ease of admission. I think if your after a 991, you will be able to score a good deal especially in the months to come.

Not true - 991 PDK's sit on lot for months and months but nice 991 Manual transmission cars sell like hot cakes.

:thumbup:

Balr14 07-09-2020 01:10 AM

I found a very nice 991 to replace the 997 I sold. Seriously considering it. It has everything I wanted but didn't have in my 997. I like that the 991 weighs less and has more horsepower than the 997. But, the biggest reason I like the 991 is the front overhang is shorter. It may seem like a silly reason, but my client is located in an older building with a parking structure that is incredibly tight in the corners. At best, I had an inch to spare with my 997. Lots of paint marks on those walls and very tense moments.

groovzilla 07-09-2020 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Balr14 (Post 16760484)
I found a very nice 991 to replace the 997 I sold. Seriously considering it. It has everything I wanted but didn't have in my 997. I like that the 991 weighs less and has more horsepower than the 997. But, the biggest reason I like the 991 is the front overhang is shorter. It may seem like a silly reason, but my client is located in an older building with a parking structure that is incredibly tight in the corners. At best, I had an inch to spare with my 997. Lots of paint marks on those walls and very tense moments.

I also really like the higher front wheel wells. Has more of a Ferrari-ish design which makes the overall car more sleek.
Have you driven a 991? I heard the power assisted steering is different feeling.

sandwedge 07-09-2020 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16760447)
Not true - 991 PDK's sit on lot for months and months but nice 991 Manual transmission cars sell like hot cakes.
:thumbup:

I wonder how much this has to do with production numbers vs. demand though. I don't know what the ratio is for the 991 and 992 but from everything I've read about the 997, as of 2009 when the PDK was introduced, for every 10 cars built, 8 were PDK and two were manuals.

Haven't seen any evidence of increased production of manuals with the 991's and 992's. If anything, it seems to be going in the opposite direction following the foot steps of Ferrari and Lambo. So with manuals being produced in ever decreasing numbers they're getting hard to find so it makes perfect sense that when they are offered for sale they fly out the door into the hands of the few die hard manual buyers remaining.

Is this proof of manuals being more sought after than PDK's though? Porsche builds cars based on consumer demand. The obvious best way to maximize profits. So if the 911 market was screaming for more manuals, why is Porsche building fewer and fewer of them?

mjposner 07-09-2020 08:37 AM

"I wonder how much this has to do with production numbers vs. demand though" It totally dos and the same issue over on the M3/M4 forums. For example if there are 10 buyers for new 991s and 8 want pdk and 2 want stick that's what gets sold. Then in the used market, only 7 want pdk and 3 want stick and voila, demand exceeds supply making them more valuable, even though more than twice as many buyers do not want sticks.

One thing that I hate about the 991 is the center console blank buttons. Why oh why would Porsche do this. Makes you feel cheap with the blanks! (or is this intentional??)

Petza914 07-09-2020 08:52 AM

The only 991 I'm interested in is a speedster. I prefer everything else about my 997. More car, less computer. Engine is easier to see and work on, hydraulic steering, shorter wheelbase for a sport car. Though my situation is a little different as I already have 991 power (475 or so) but in my 997 package.

I'd keep the 997 and add the Bullitt.

PierW 07-09-2020 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16760263)
Found a really nice one owner 2017 C4S Silver/Agate Grey Manual Transmission in Portland.
Just happens were are driving to Portland tomorrow and gonna check it out. I've never driven a 991 so looking forward to it.
I really love my '07 997S. I'm not sure paying another $50K is worth the effort. I hardly drive my car as it is. I do love the lines of the 2017.
I've heard the steering feels a lot different - Looking forward to the test drive.

Let us know your thoughts after you drive it, Groove? We seem to think similarly about our rides (mine is an '07 C4S MT Cab) and the Marque in general, so I'll be interested in your review.

Petza914 07-09-2020 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16760263)

You always come back to the 997. At some point, I figure you would have learned LOL. Your time will be better spent looking at another Airstream.