Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Trade my 997 for 991? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1202883-trade-my-997-for-991-a.html)

lexhair 07-09-2020 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16760518)
I also really like the higher front wheel wells. Has more of a Ferrari-ish design which makes the overall car more sleek.
Have you driven a 991? I heard the power assisted steering is different feeling.

Much much much different. You'll feel it immediately pulling out of the lot on your test drive on low speed turns. You'll still have feedback at higher speeds. I'll get killed for this but when it comes to power assist, Alfa Romeo is tough to beat in this market segment.

Sporty 07-09-2020 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 16760804)
The only 991 I'm interested in is a speedster. I prefer everything else about my 997. More car, less computer. Engine is easier to see and work on, hydraulic steering, shorter wheelbase for a sport car. Though my situation is a little different as I already have 991 power (475 or so) but in my 997 package.

I'd keep the 997 and add the Bullitt.

The only thing I did not like was the position of the shifter in the 997, it just felt awkward being that high up. The one I drove felt like a new car, very tight, smooth, steering was responsive and little more numb feeling but not in a bad way. I hooned it out a bit and it powered up in the higher RPMs similar to my 997. When I jumped back in my 997 to go home, quite frankly the fun factor was just as great, felt a bit more nimble and free revving and just as enjoyable as both cars (Bullit and 991), if not more, that i just had a good test drive in (without salesman). At some point I do want to go to a 991.1/(or.2 which will be another whole story) and or add 'Merican muscle, but i would want to do it where I can keep the 997 for awhile to make sure. I feel that good solid 997s will be holding their value long term, as Petza referenced, due to their more analog/simple nature and homage to old school 911s. Also, like Groove, I do like the lines of the 991, it is beautiful and sleek but I like the 997 for its look as well. You know, blonde, brunette, big ....you get the point.

Balr14 07-09-2020 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16760518)
I also really like the higher front wheel wells. Has more of a Ferrari-ish design which makes the overall car more sleek.
Have you driven a 991? I heard the power assisted steering is different feeling.

Please keep in mind I'm 76 years old and don't track my cars. I just enjoy some spirited driving at times and I like acceleration. A younger and more competitive driver may have different impressions.

The electric power steering takes some getting used to... depending on the year. I have driven 2012, 2014 and 2017 models and every year the feel is different. The 2012 model removes a lot of the feedback you get from road irregularities, so it's smoother and less communicative and feels lighter. You still notice it starting to break loose, though. I think Porsche is refining the steering feel every year because 2014 feels different than 2012 and 2017 feels different than 2014. In the 2017 model it feels kind of non-linear in that steering effort changes depending on how you are driving. It also had the torque vectoring steering assist (is that correct?), which probably affects feel. It was only about a 15 minute test drive. But, in any case you get used to it and learn to trust it.

The general driving impressions I got from the 2012 S model was that it felt a little more refined in every area. It felt stiffer and more tossable. You could feel the weight and horsepower difference. But overall it wasn't a huge change from my 997. I drove a 2014 base model. As noted, the steering feel was a little different and did not have quite the same damping as the 2012. But, I did not like the performance at all. The engine feels weak. I also drove a 2014 turbo, but that's an entirely different sensation. I was all set to buy it but somebody beat me to it. The 2017 S is an entirely different car than my old 997. It just does everything better, especially the power. The low end torque is very addicting. I'd love a 2017 - 2018 S, but they are out of my price range for now. To me, Porsche changes feel evolutionary, nothing radical or hard to adjust to. Again, that's from an old guy.

I also have a Mustang GT and it's amazing how much the power delivery of the Coyote engine is similar to the 997. But, it feels big and heavy, so I don't drive it much (900 miles in a year). I mostly drive my 335i. I'll probably sell them both when I buy another 911.

dgjks6 07-09-2020 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Not true - 991 PDK's sit on lot for months and months but nice 991 Manual transmission cars sell like hot cakes.

:thumbup:

Looking at 991's now and my experience is exactly the opposite. The 2 manual 991 C4s's have been sitting for months and several similar equipped PDK's have been for sale and purchased in this time. I think in the rennlist bubble, the manual is sought after, but in the real world there are too few manual drivers. There is definitely not a premium for the manuals in the 991 gen like there is for the 996's. Not sure about 997's.

Ironman88 07-09-2020 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty (Post 16760858)
The only thing I did not like was the position of the shifter in the 997, it just felt awkward being that high up. The one I drove felt like a new car, very tight, smooth, steering was responsive and little more numb feeling but not in a bad way. I hooned it out a bit and it powered up in the higher RPMs similar to my 997. When I jumped back in my 997 to go home, quite frankly the fun factor was just as great, felt a bit more nimble and free revving and just as enjoyable as both cars (Bullit and 991), if not more, that i just had a good test drive in (without salesman). At some point I do want to go to a 991.1/(or.2 which will be another whole story) and or add 'Merican muscle, but i would want to do it where I can keep the 997 for awhile to make sure. I feel that good solid 997s will be holding their value long term, as Petza referenced, due to their more analog/simple nature and homage to old school 911s. Also, like Groove, I do like the lines of the 991, it is beautiful and sleek but I like the 997 for its look as well. You know, blonde, brunette, big ....you get the point.

I understand that the positioning of the shifter - and the design of the console in the 991 was influenced by the Carrera GT. That design seems to have carried forward on all models.

I'm not a 991 fan. I think the car looks bloated. I definitely do not like the look of the front end. I don't see at all that newer is better when it comes to cars anymore. In fact, I think the opposite is true. Maybe that is some of the older person in me coming out. I see reduction in the number of parts; lighter weight, cheaper feeling materials. An engine that you can no longer even see - unless you get under the car.

groovzilla 07-09-2020 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 16760824)
You always come back to the 997. At some point, I figure you would have learned LOL. Your time will be better spent looking at another Airstream.

Petza how true!
If you remember I've been waiting for my friend Denny Aker to sell his 2006 997C4S but he ran into huge wait time for the new Porsche Targa he wants to order - Something like 1.5 years.
Miles on his C4S are racking up and at 84K now and who knows when he'll sell it to me.
So I've been toying with the 991 idea. Would like to maybe own one before I drop dead from Covid-19.
I actually prefer the look of the 997 & 991 C4S but prefer the drivability of the 997S.

I want manual transmission in silver/black or grey/black w/sport muffler option from factory---->The used dealer in Portland just got 2 2017 991's in Silver. Both Manual Transmission.
The C4S w/39K miles with Agate Grey interior doesn't have Sport Muffler. The S has 9K miles, red/back interior and has Sport Muffler
Very excited to drive the 991 - They offered me both cars to test drive.
If I'm paying close to $90K for my next Porsche it has to have exactly what I want so both of these will most likely be a pass unless the red interior looks better in person. But I know from experience the only red interior I could ever live with was in my 59 silver 356 because the red is a deep wine color and looks superb and not overwhelming.

I'll give feedback on my test drive tomorrow night

ilovemaui 07-09-2020 02:47 PM

I was within minutes of trading my ‘09 CS2 cab for a 2012 CS2 cab with 12k miles. Had the deal worked out but the dealer said I would have wait another hour to get in signing office. I told them I didn’t want wait and would return two days later. As I drove home I realized I preferred the visceral feel of the 997.2 to the 991 and canceled the deal.

Balr14 07-09-2020 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16761589)
I'll give feedback on my test drive tomorrow night

I predict you will love the power! The ergonomics and driver feel will take a little getting used to, but give it a chance.

I am amazed at the number of 991 C2S cab models that do not have Sport Chrono, must be 75%.

snaphappy 07-09-2020 04:30 PM

I’ll stick with the 997.2 (same engine as 991.1) because I’m a DIY guy. Engine access is really important to me. Also less electric gadgets and screens in the 997.2. Not a fan of dashwork. Chasing electrical demons = challenging. Even for the dealer.

It was interesting watching all the 991/992 crossing the center line on the dragon. It’s a big car. Pretty. But big. You need a little more skill to place it properly.

loungin 07-10-2020 01:59 AM

Man who would want a 7 speed manual. That’s just ridiculous.

Balr14 07-10-2020 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by loungin (Post 16763055)
Man who would want a 7 speed manual. That’s just ridiculous.

7th is an overdrive gear, you don't really need it. The transmission is actually a modified PDK, hence the 7 gears.

sandwedge 07-10-2020 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by mjposner (Post 16760786)
"I wonder how much this has to do with production numbers vs. demand though" It totally dos and the same issue over on the M3/M4 forums. For example if there are 10 buyers for new 991s and 8 want pdk and 2 want stick that's what gets sold. Then in the used market, only 7 want pdk and 3 want stick and voila, demand exceeds supply making them more valuable, even though more than twice as many buyers do not want sticks.

One thing that I hate about the 991 is the center console blank buttons. Why oh why would Porsche do this. Makes you feel cheap with the blanks! (or is this intentional??)

Making the manuals more valuable only to a small segment of 911 buyers. Not to the entire pool of 911 buyers. Why? As I've said before, it almost seems like the 911 market is turning into two separate markets. Manuals and PDK. Those who want PDK don't even look at manuals so no help from what appears to be 80% of 911 buyers in driving up the price of manuals. What seems to be driving up the price of manuals is an ever decreasing pool of must have manual buyers fighting over an ever decreasing supply of manuals available. Because again, and as any other car manufacturer, Porsche builds cars based on customer demand.

Porsche like Ferrari and Lamborghini seem to have concluded that the demand for manuals is continuing to decrease so they build fewer and fewer or stop building them altogether. Simple concept as I see it. What I don't see though is that this concept makes a configuration of the 911 or any other car for that matter more valuable because they're built in fewer numbers because fewer buyers want them.

Tcc1999 07-10-2020 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by sandwedge (Post 16763116)
Making the manuals more valuable only to a small segment of 911 buyers. Not to the entire pool of 911 buyers. Why? As I've said before, it almost seems like the 911 market is turning into two separate markets. Manuals and PDK. Those who want PDK don't even look at manuals so no help from what appears to be 80% of 911 buyers in driving up the price of manuals. What seems to be driving up the price of manuals is an ever decreasing pool of must have manual buyers fighting over an ever decreasing supply of manuals available. Because again, and as any other car manufacturer, Porsche builds cars based on customer demand.

Porsche like Ferrari and Lamborghini seem to have concluded that the demand for manuals is continuing to decrease so they build fewer and fewer or stop building them altogether. Simple concept as I see it. What I don't see though is that this concept makes a configuration of the 911 or any other car for that matter more valuable because they're built in fewer numbers because fewer buyers want them.

Intresting perspective. I would also factor in that Porsche understands that dealers, at least in the U.S., have a harder time moving manuals and they may sit on the showroom floor for longer periods resulting in an inventory backlog and fewer total sales. While you can order a manual if a dealer has allocations available, I wonder what the inventory of manuals at any given time is. My point is that there may be more people out there that might buy a manual but the inventory is short, options may be less desireable, and to get an allocation for a custom build may not be possible or really expensive. At the 911 price point, if you are buying new, you should get what you want. A well optioned good deal on a PDK might be more attractive than settling for a manual out of inventory that might not be exactly what you want or having limited bargaining power for an allocation.

paddlefoot64 07-10-2020 07:54 AM

Asked this before, but had on wrong forum, for the 991.2 (I believe), the MT is a modified PDK unit. So, since the PDK is just replaced not repaired (for the most part) what about clutch replacement in the single clutch MT in the 991.2? Is the previous clutch/flywheel repair a thing of the past? How does that play into selecting 997 versus 991?

loungin 07-10-2020 12:09 PM

A 7 speed manual crams 5 upward positions into the shifter, 4 of them being forward gears. That’s just way too cramped/confusing - hence ridiculous - and a good reason for the 7 speed manual being an unpopular option on the 991. With the 991, the way to go is 991R or 991.2 GT3 6MT.