Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 PM
RoadsterRob
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.1 C2S AC Compressor

Anybody replace their AC compressor at home? I fired my '06 C2S up in the work parking lot today and had ice cold air for about 30 seconds then luke warm air. Seemed a little fast for a leak. Popped the hood when I got home and didn't find anything abnormal. May do some research and take a swing at replacing it myself. Too hot in central Ohio to not have it!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:33 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Could be any number of things rather than the compressor itself.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:28 AM
RoadsterRob
AutoX

Originally Posted by mbatarga
Could be any number of things rather than the compressor itself.
yeah this weekend I will get the multimeter out and listen for clutch engagement, etc.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:17 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Easiest to check the charge level.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:05 PM
RoadsterRob
AutoX

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Easiest to check the charge level.
I will before I yank the compressor, but I dont think the charge level would just instantly drop without a major leak.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:13 PM
RoadsterRob
AutoX

Nothing wrong with the fuse. The compressor is not kicking on and the front fans are not running. Going to check the relay in the front on the passenger's side next.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:45 PM
mextreme
6th Gear

Did you solve the problem? I have 2006 C2S that has no difference in temp with AC on full cold.

I purchased a AC r134a recharge car and the gauge shows the low pressure side in the acceptable range,
so I don't think its a refrigerant issue.

I tried to visually inspect AC compressor while toggling the ECO button - looking for easy test to verify but
didn't see any visual change (not sure if that is possible).

I don't think I have any trouble codes to help.. I only have a cheap obd reader and haven't checked yet.

If anyone has a published troubleshooting list/document they can share that would be appreciated.
Per comments above, I could use help with.

Where is the fuse related to this? (just one?).
How does one measure clutch action with multi meter (I know how to use multi meter)
How does one determine if compressor is kicking on?
Are the fronts fans directly related to AC compress being on / off ? Don't the fans cool radiator and ac?

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:26 AM
RoadsterRob
AutoX

I have not resolved my issue yet. There is a single fuse in the main fuse box by the door next to the clutch pedal, but it operates several other things so unless you notice other things not working, not likely it is your fuse. I wanted to check the AC relay, it is located behind the front right wheel well on a relay tree. I first chatted with the senior Porsche tech at my local dealer and he said he has never seen a relay fail in his career. He advised I not do anything else until I recharge the AC system. He said once pressure drops below the minimum level, the compressor and condensor fans won't even kick on. My compressor clutch is not cycling and the condensor fans are also not coming on at all. I will likely pay the dealer $400 to recharge the AC and use a dye to look for leaks. I have access to a shop with the refrigerant machine, but I am hesitant to do it myself as I am not sure how much oil, etc to add to the refrigerant. My car also throws no codes for AC, it reads AC system as off, but normal.

Originally Posted by mextreme
Did you solve the problem? I have 2006 C2S that has no difference in temp with AC on full cold.

I purchased a AC r134a recharge car and the gauge shows the low pressure side in the acceptable range,
so I don't think its a refrigerant issue.

I tried to visually inspect AC compressor while toggling the ECO button - looking for easy test to verify but
didn't see any visual change (not sure if that is possible).

I don't think I have any trouble codes to help.. I only have a cheap obd reader and haven't checked yet.

If anyone has a published troubleshooting list/document they can share that would be appreciated.
Per comments above, I could use help with.

Where is the fuse related to this? (just one?).
How does one measure clutch action with multi meter (I know how to use multi meter)
How does one determine if compressor is kicking on?
Are the fronts fans directly related to AC compress being on / off ? Don't the fans cool radiator and ac?

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:10 PM
mextreme
6th Gear

Thanks RoadsterRob. You would think if refrigerant was low there would be some codes thrown !!
It makes sense to not run the system if it's low in refrigerant / oil.

In my case, I believe there is refrigerant in the system - measured on low pressure side.

So, I want to verify a few things before going to local shop, such as
1) can I see the clutch engage
2) check fans

Does anyone know if you can visibly see the clutch engage / disengage on this system?
I have seen Youtube video's demonstrating this but nothing specific to the 997 system.
My first attempt I couldn't see clutch movement - need another person to help test.

You have to at least remove the airbox to get to the compressor and manually test the
clutch while car is not running.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Just go to the guy, he will be able to trouble shoot immediately, and then fix whatever it is.

But.............Low refrigerant charge will prevent compressor from starting, this is to protect your compressor from damage.

There is a pressure switch in the A/C piping or on the dessecant dryer, use multimeter to see if switch has been "triggered", or just try bridging it to activate compressor clutch.

If the compressor kicks in, then you have a clue as to why, then, read the first sentence again.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S AC Compressor