Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range 4 Alert

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 11:53 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Seems improbable that the oil sensor is working fine now but didn't alert you for 600 miles and multiple starts before and during your track day.

Is there some way the missed shift caused the oil problem? The sequence of events you describe suggests that's what happened. If so, where could 3+ quarts of oil go between the missed shift and the restart -- into the coolant ? dumped onto the track ? out the tailpipes during the 3 track sessions?

The following users liked this post:
Doug H (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The range 4 by itself probably wasn't the cause of the motor failure. The range 4 combined with only half the oil capacity in the engine and doing multiple track sessions in that circumstance certainly was. At a minimum, you should drop the sump plate and see what kind of debris is in there.

It's surprising to me that you could go 600 miles over that period of time without ever once checking the oil level when you first get into the car, which is when it should be done on a 997.1. I do that as a matter of course each morning I get into my 997 before starting it.

Though the dealer may help you out to some extent because of your loyalty to them and them significantly underfilling the car with oil during the last service, the failure is really a result of you not checking the oil over the course of 600 miles of driving the car. Personally, had I had an oil change service done, I would have checked it when I first picked up the car to at least make sure they got it close even if not perfect before even driving it home.

Sorry to say, but I think you're out of luck on this one and that the motor has a major failure from the noises you're hearing.

If the engine still has the same oil in it, send a sample to Blackstone and let's see how much copper, iron, and aluminum is in it. That will likely tell us whether the failure is bearings or scored cylinders.
There's a moral / lesson to be learned from this story - and it appears above. (A very bitter lesson for the OP unfortunately.) I meticulously try verify / go over all work I have done on my car by either the dealer or an independent.

You (unfortunately) have to assume that there's a very good chance that a mistake has been made somewhere in the process. Humans screw up. With a Porsche there of course can be big consequences.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Seems improbable that the oil sensor is working fine now but didn't alert you for 600 miles and multiple starts before and during your track day.

Is there some way the missed shift caused the oil problem? The sequence of events you describe suggests that's what happened. If so, where could 3+ quarts of oil go between the missed shift and the restart -- into the coolant ? dumped onto the track ? out the tailpipes during the 3 track sessions?
Can't see this as a possibility - 3-4 quarts of oil in either of these scenarios is technically a "****-ton". If it was being burned it would look like James Bond's car when he turns on the smoke screen toggle. If it was coming out the tailpipe, the car would have been black-flagged by the track officials when the cars behind him complained of oil all over their windshields and not being able to see anything. If it had migrated over to the coolant side, that milkshake would have come out the coolant reservoir overflow hose and then had the same effect as the previous possibility - black flagged.

Dealership screwed it up by not filling it properly and OP messed up by not checking it for 600 miles and 3 track sessions. Likely there was already engine damage done before the track day from running the motor for 600 miles 3 or more quarts low.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:59 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Can't see this as a possibility - 3-4 quarts of oil in either of these scenarios is technically a "****-ton". If it was being burned it would look like James Bond's car when he turns on the smoke screen toggle. If it was coming out the tailpipe, the car would have been black-flagged by the track officials when the cars behind him complained of oil all over their windshields and not being able to see anything. If it had migrated over to the coolant side, that milkshake would have come out the coolant reservoir overflow hose and then had the same effect as the previous possibility - black flagged.

Dealership screwed it up by not filling it properly and OP messed up by not checking it for 600 miles and 3 track sessions. Likely there was already engine damage done before the track day from running the motor for 600 miles 3 or more quarts low.
Is there not a low oil light on the NA .1? Should it not light up at 1.5 quarts low?

Would seem equally impossible to drive 600 miles and then run 3 30 minute track sessions 4.5 quarts low. Then again, I have never tried it so perhaps it would be a non-issue . . . until its not.

I also think it equally impossible that a dealer would leave it 4.5 quarts short. Don't they have it electronically measured or are they actually opening a quart and pouring in? I thought it measured so as not to over fill, but that is based purely on hearsay or reading it on here as I never cared enough to ask.

Last edited by Doug H; 07-08-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
Is there not a low oil light on the NA .1? Should it not light up at 1.5 quarts low?

Would seem equally impossible to drive 600 miles and then run 3 30 minute track sessions 4.5 quarts low. Then again, I have never tried it so perhaps it would be a non-issue . . . until its not.

I also think it equally impossible that a dealer would leave it 4.5 quarts short. Don't they have it electronically measured or are they actually opening a quart and pouring in? I thought it measured so as not to over fill, but that is based purely on hearsay or reading it it one here as I never cared enough to ask.
Yes, I assume there is both a low and high oil level warning on the 997.1, but I'm actually so **** about my oil level in those cars have never seen either.

I agree - this seems really weird. It's possible the oil level sensor tube is not working correctly so either the car was properly filled and that's why no error light and then when the OP went to check it at the track it was malfunctioning and wasn't actually that many quarts low and is now super over-filled. Actually having 4 quarts too much in it could cause a whole bunch of odd noises with the crankshaft lobes hitting the oil in the pan.

OP, before you go any further, I'd have the shop drain and measure the amount of oil they remove. If it's 8 quarts or so, that's about right. If they end up pulling 11 or 12 you'll know it was about right to start with and got way overfilled at the track.

The oil level sensor is not a great thing - the one in my wife's car tends to give odd readings. I'll cycle the key 3, 4, or 5 times until I get a few that show a consistent level. I'd replace it but you have to pull the intake manifold on that side to have enough room to get it out due to the length.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Any chance you had a GoPro mounted in the interior during the track sessions that would have had a view of the dash and the track during your sessions? Would be great to be able to see what the oil temp and oil pressure gauges were doing as you lapped the track.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:18 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

i have no clue why, but in some 997.1s the low oil level indicator is turned OFF.

it has to be turned on via Durametric pro or a similar device via coding options

Originally Posted by Wild Bill07
First, no low oil light / icon came on.

Quick Reply: Range 4 Alert