Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Mufflers to Replace Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 08:41 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Remove Mufflers to Replace Coils?

2010 997.2 S ~150K miles Cab

I need to replace my coils. I know my indie and the Porsche shop can swap out plugs without removing the mufflers.

Anybody know this Jedi magic? Is it possible?

If not, has anybody removed mufflers with the bypass gear on it? It looks really difficult to remove.

I have done some major repairs to my car, but I would call myself advanced intermediate.

THANKS!!!!
Old 07-06-2020, 03:11 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I removed mufflers because I swapped them out for fister mufflers at the same time I did plugs/coils. I’m not saying it’s easy to remove the mufflers, but it’s not incredibly hard. There’s not a lot you can do wrong. I wish I had known to replace my heatshields at that time. They’re not very expensive and when they get old they can make some weird squeaky sounds.
The following users liked this post:
Carerra (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 10:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

I find it's more beneficial to remove the headers than the mufflers, at leart on my .1 car, and what I did when I replaced my plugs and coils recently. Have some new Fabspeed gaskets on ha d when you do the job as they have the best exhaust gaskets.
The following users liked this post:
Carerra (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I removed mufflers because I swapped them out for fister mufflers at the same time I did plugs/coils. I’m not saying it’s easy to remove the mufflers, but it’s not incredibly hard. There’s not a lot you can do wrong. I wish I had known to replace my heatshields at that time. They’re not very expensive and when they get old they can make some weird squeaky sounds.
Thanks for the info. Do you have the muffler bypass/sport exhaust?

Quick Reply: Remove Mufflers to Replace Coils?