Sponsored by:

PDK: white transmission run error

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 04:21 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
According to the service advisor at the local dealership, almost without exception these PDK warnings are electronics related and mechanically related warnings are very, very rare.

As I've mentioned, I've had three red emergency run warnings between two PDK cars. First one disappeared just by shutting the car down and starting it back up. Second one on that car was the end of that transmission. The light came on as I was backing out of the garage and then the car wouldn't move. Shut it down and restarted 4 or 5 times but no luck. Flatbed to dealer who told me the next day the PDK had to be replaced.

The third red warning came on the day after I had the 60K mile PDK service done on my current GTS. Car went into limp mode but I was close to my house and limped home. Again, flatbed to the dealer where they fixed it somehow. Suspect some kind of oversight during the service the day before.

Pulling error codes are all good and well and may allow them to repair in some cases. In most cases though, as in the case of the unit that had to be replaced, the codes they get are so general in nature that they don't lead them anywhere. That plus the fact that the dealers are so restricted in what they're allowed to do with these transmissions make the codes of limited usefulness based on what I've heard from the dealer.
@sandwedge I have a question since I am a newer member and haven't followed your history that long. With your PDK failures, was it just an "out of the blue" random failure or can you attribute it to a driving style? Any idea what could have led up to the failures?
Old 11-24-2022, 04:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by byroncheung
@sandwedge what would be considered low resting voltage for our cars? my battery resting at 12.2V and I have been getting some PDK errors I wonder if it is battery related? Every time it comes on it's when I start the car but never in the middle of the drive so it makes me wonder...
Originally Posted by GTSpure
Hi. How long is your car "resting"? In general it shouldn't be. 12.2v sounds low to me.
I would check for leaks / alternator.
Do you have a multimedia system or electrical products in the car (not original)?
byroncheung;18479728.....I don't know what would be considered a "normal" resting voltage for our cars but I agree with GTSpure that 12.2V sounds on the low side. A battery on its last leg has been mentioned as a possible reason for PDK errors. Maybe it is on some occasions but I have to tell you that on my second PDK failure I got in my wife's car, drove to Wal Mart and bought a new battery hoping that would solve the problem rather than going through another replacement.

No such luck though. With the new battery connected the Transmission Emergency Run light stayed on and the car wouldn't move. So another replacement. As with the previous replacement in a 2009 C4S, the dealer traced the fault code to what they thought was most likely a failed distance sensor. I'm quick to say that others may have had different results replacing the battery. May be worth a shot especially if your battery is old and the car is out of warranty.

Thankfully, both my replacements were covered under warranty. The earlier one came to $14,000. That was in 2015 if memory serves. The second one on my current car was last year and that tab came to $20,000 so they're not getting cheaper.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:02 AM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
byroncheung;18479728.....I don't know what would be considered a "normal" resting voltage for our cars but I agree with GTSpure that 12.2V sounds on the low side. A battery on its last leg has been mentioned as a possible reason for PDK errors. Maybe it is on some occasions but I have to tell you that on my second PDK failure I got in my wife's car, drove to Wal Mart and bought a new battery hoping that would solve the problem rather than going through another replacement.

No such luck though. With the new battery connected the Transmission Emergency Run light stayed on and the car wouldn't move. So another replacement. As with the previous replacement in a 2009 C4S, the dealer traced the fault code to what they thought was most likely a failed distance sensor. I'm quick to say that others may have had different results replacing the battery. May be worth a shot especially if your battery is old and the car is out of warranty.

Thankfully, both my replacements were covered under warranty. The earlier one came to $14,000. That was in 2015 if memory serves. The second one on my current car was last year and that tab came to $20,000 so they're not getting cheaper.
yeah I’m familiar with the the distance sensor problem. In fact I thought it was what my car had, brought it to a shop which has experience in replacing that sensor but they said it is working after a recalibration so didn’t go forward with the replacement. But a few weeks later the error is back now… I think most likely I will need to get it to the shop again to replace the sensor.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by byroncheung
yeah I’m familiar with the the distance sensor problem. In fact I thought it was what my car had, brought it to a shop which has experience in replacing that sensor but they said it is working after a recalibration so didn’t go forward with the replacement. But a few weeks later the error is back now… I think most likely I will need to get it to the shop again to replace the sensor.
According to the service advisor I deal with at the dealership, that sensor is by far the most common cause of PDK failures. Lucky you who found a shop who's willing to and able to open the PDK to work on or replace the sensor. My local dealership won't even do that since PCNA won't allow them to open the PDK. Even if they did, and they say they would have no problem opening the PDK and locating the sensor, they couldn't get the sensor replacement from Porsche since they don't sell them as a regular part as Porsche dealerships aren't allowed to be inside the PDK in the first place.

So I'm curious where your shop gets the new sensor from if the dealerships can't even get them. Some aftermarket composition?
Old 11-25-2022, 05:06 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

The replacement PDK sensors have been discussed enough times on this Forum that it should no longer be a new idea. There are several (at least three) different sources at this point and many (independent) shops prepared to do the work. As one example that most of us will recognize ...

https://lnengineering.com/new-replac...k-gearbox.html
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 11:11 AM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The replacement PDK sensors have been discussed enough times on this Forum that it should no longer be a new idea. There are several (at least three) different sources at this point and many (independent) shops prepared to do the work. As one example that most of us will recognize ...

https://lnengineering.com/new-replac...k-gearbox.html
If you go over to the PDK repair guide thread there is a load of info there: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html
Other than lnengineering t-design is also a common/popular option for the sensor: http://t-design9.com/porsche_PDK_dis...on_sensor.html

The guys at t-design also maintain a list of shops that they have sold sensors to and successfully replaced that sensor - I found the shop that I went to through them.
Old Today, 09:07 AM
J.Correa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK White transmission error mressagr

Hi ! It can be possible to get the white PDK error message and a bocked gear because an engine ignition fault, (engine yellow light on) and later all return to normal after the car was stopped for a night ?
After a dayly driver months in different circumstances, even in sport mode, all remains normal.
Point: this happened to me after a terrible 230 klm stop and go trip with long stops and several switch of/ switch on of the engine….
Battery not new and regular stopped car periods with it disconnected because frequently absent.
Thanks
Old Today, 10:16 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Correa
It can be possible to get the white PDK error message and a bocked gear because an engine ignition fault, (engine yellow light on) and later all return to normal after the car was stopped for a night ?
Yes it can, it happened to me.

I was getting white PDK errors. My dealership diagnosed engine misfires as the underlying cause.

They replaced all the spark plugs and coils, and the problem went away.
The following users liked this post:
J.Correa (Today)
Old Today, 10:25 AM
J.Correa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -pdk-white-transmission-run-error.

Hi. Thank you ver much. My PC after an inconclusive, it seems, code analysis pointed immediately to the distance sensor inside the box. So…PDK replacement. But they seemed not be sure and so said to go on and run the car to see if it happens again.
Nothing until now. Engine and box working perfectly. So I suppose that there was an occasional ignition or engine fault because the ver hard running circumstances. Even an occasional fall in the battery tension after so much switching off and on and very short runs time to time. Four hours and a half…

Quick Reply: PDK: white transmission run error