Sponsored by:

Help on frunk and hood mechanical releases

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Help on frunk and hood mechanical releases

OK ... House remodel with yard were completed just before SIP. So I started casually playing with the 997 and am down to these last two things.

First ... Manual release cable for the rear hood. When a friend and I did his 80K service on his GTS we found a hole in his body to feed this release cable down the side of the driver's side muffler. On my 2010 C4S I don't have a hole and there is no obvious routing path. It doesn't do much good to store this cable in the taillight. I'm hesitant to punch a hole in the sheet metal.

What solutions have any of you come up with?

Second ... The frunk release cable looks like a real cluster .... I've attached three pictures.

One shows the latch mechanism that includes the white plastic sheath that houses the solenoid controlled opening wire, the final mechanical release lever, and the emergency based mechanical release lever override solenoid cable (this is operated with the normal solenoid if you use the lever inside the frunk). You will notice that the mechanical release cable from the fender well does not reach this latch which is outside the frunk.

Another picture shows the mechanical release cable as it enters from the wheel well and goes down the side of the frunk toward the front. This is inside the frunk and supported by the carpet.

The other photo shows that release cable wrapping around the front corner and running to the center where it is attached to the plastic sheath with an eyelet on the inside frunk side. A grommet is in between that termination point inside the frunk and the latch on the outside of the frunk.

First, the routing means that when you pull on the cable from the wheel well you pull the frunk carpet out as tendon develops at the front corner.

Second, since the plastic sheath is rigid and makes two right angle bends to get to the latch, even if the carpet didn't pull out, the eyelet sliding on the plastic searching can't open the frunk.

How is this cable supposed to work?

How am I supposed to hook it up?

I figured I could simply extend the cable in the fender liner to make it accessible without removing the wheel and fender liner. But it seems more complicated.

Has anybody come up with a solution?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Attached Images    
Old 06-18-2020, 05:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Wayne: For the engine lid you can thread the wire under the rear driver-side rear light assembly so that the loop is about an inch from the lower edge of the light assembly. On the outside you can fish it out with a hook made out of a paper clip. Put a piece of duct tape over the wire and the paint body.This is the recommend factory setup and it works!

For the front hood I do nothing. There's a pull wire under the front right wheel well cladding, but I do not bother with it. I feel that I can always access the cockpit and attach a battery or power supply to pop the front hood.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Thanks ... The taillight is handled although I wouldn't consider this to be elegant!!!

I've been having a slew of solenoid and plug failures in other elements of my life lately. Should the solenoid or plug fail to release the frunk I'd like a back up. I've played as an engineer most of my life, but I can't figure out what Porsche was thinking with that frunk cable!!!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Thanks ... The taillight is handled although I wouldn't consider this to be elegant!!!

I've been having a slew of solenoid and plug failures in other elements of my life lately. Should the solenoid or plug fail to release the frunk I'd like a back up. I've played as an engineer most of my life, but I can't figure out what Porsche was thinking with that frunk cable!!!
The front lock is somehow connected to a cable hidden in front of the front right wheel under the plastic cladding.

Quick Reply: Help on frunk and hood mechanical releases