Sponsored by:

Attention bargain hunters...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Even with $12 / quart boutique oil, a deep sump, and a $15 K&N canister filter, my oil changes cost me $135 and about 30 minutes of my time (plus drain time whwn I can do something else in th garage).

A $500 oil change is nuts. No wonder people try to run the oil to the 10,000 mile recommended change interval - then the dealer gets them again for engine replacement.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:23 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

lol. The 997 is seriously the easiest oil change of any car that I've ever owned. I don't understand the dealership prices but I guess someone has to pay for all of the free coffee.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:24 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
I dunno about 20 minutes. It takes me 20 minutes to pour the oil. Let alone clean up, bottling the used oil. I also drain for at least 4 hours. OCD maybe.
Seriously.

I would love to see a timelapse video for a 997.2, 20-minute oil change -- without using a lift, and without skipping any steps (jacking, bottling old oil, filter change, cleanup, returning used oil to the store). Put it to Bennie Hill music.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Even with $12 / quart boutique oil, a deep sump, and a $15 K&N canister filter, my oil changes cost me $135 and about 30 minutes of my time (plus drain time whwn I can do something else in th garage).

A $500 oil change is nuts. No wonder people try to run the oil to the 10,000 mile recommended change interval - then the dealer gets them again for engine replacement.

I've had my 997.1 S for 1 1/2 years and its had two oil changes, I had them both done at our local Porsche specific indy shop (highly reputable in the STL area)... cost is 250$, but they top all the fluids off, full maintenance check, to include the engine bay, tire pressure etc etc... I figure its about 120-150 for my own parts/labor/time/oil and an extra 100 bucks for a full once over from a shop with dedicated Porsche guys that know farrrrrrr beyond me, which is worth the peace of mind. Also, I have a tight garage (one car) and no lift so a sporty drive (30 min) to the shop, grab a meal and workout then get it back is a nice day for me. I also like to have them look at anything Im worried about while its in.

400-500 sounds insane.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince Honorato
I've had my 997.1 S for 1 1/2 years and its had two oil changes, I had them both done at our local Porsche specific indy shop (highly reputable in the STL area)... cost is 250$, but they top all the fluids off, full maintenance check, to include the engine bay, tire pressure etc etc... I figure its about 120-150 for my own parts/labor/time/oil and an extra 100 bucks for a full once over from a shop with dedicated Porsche guys that know farrrrrrr beyond me, which is worth the peace of mind. Also, I have a tight garage (one car) and no lift so a sporty drive (30 min) to the shop, grab a meal and workout then get it back is a nice day for me. I also like to have them look at anything Im worried about while its in.

400-500 sounds insane.
No question that $400+ for an oil change on one of these cars is ridiculous and for a Porsche dealer to charge that just removes any sense of reasonable value for the brand. Most people aren't numb-headed enough to sit still for that, but I guess enough are for the dealership in question to continue doing it. It's a stupid, short-sighted business decision on their part and will ultimately contribute to driving at least some of these people away from the brand altogether.

I agree with Vince's comments above. My local dealer charges about $250 for an oil change. Given the annual mileage that I drive, I'll do one or two changes myself, and have the dealership do one - with the thought, as Vince has conveyed, that they include a comprehensive examination of the car as part of the oil change service (and they do a good job with that at my local dealer.) The money I save on the two changes I do myself, will pay for the one at the dealership.

If price paid equates to delivering reasonable value, then I'm perfectly fine with that.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

I'll argue for the dealer for just a second here, although I don't see myself ever using their service ...

Lift time ... You are renting the lift whether there is a mechanic alongside or not.

Inspections ... Take a look at the inspection list that is supposed to be done with every oil change. To be properly done all of the lower panels would need to be removed. Do they do this? Probably not. But IF they did the oil change would be a very inexpensive proposition.

Liability ... Enough said.

Stocking fees ... Of course you are paying for their inventory costs.

Hazardous waste ... Disposal is a part off tree dealer cost.

If I ever get to the point where I can't do an oil change I probably wouldn't be able to drive. But if somehow the prior situation occurred without the latter I suspect acquiring my own oil and filter and traveling to Pep Boys would be my choice.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:26 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 696 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Offering alternate non-sarcastic/sarcastic outlook . We need to remember not all people have place and time to do oil change, even though it’s easy. I didn’t change mine for last 4 yrs. Had Indy do it each yr while there for new tires or just oil change (only drive 5k/yr). I’m sure you ask WHY while thinking what a doofus $$ waster. Well, when you’re on the road 42+ weeks/yr, and can have wife take it by on way to work fri, and spend the hour it takes on a weekend playing golf, partying with friends, drinking by the pool, going to lake house, and enjoying other marital benefits, it’s worth it. Especially the benefits lol. Time worth far more than couple hundys. However, I did all oil changes/regular maintenance/etc for years until on the road, so I vaguely remember how to use a socket wrench. Will admit I don’t feel I deserve to be a member of rennlist with clean finger nails.

I’ve started doing more of my own maintenance, eg brakes, and will be doing own oil/air filter/plugs etc from here on for two reasons. CV ended full time travel, now have more time working from home. Second is bought a Panny; they really rip you for oil chg cause have to pull off cover and bracket. Also having Panny takes any pressure off completing work and any unforeseen issues prior to 0500 Monday when have to go to airport. Believe me, worst feeling is waking up wife and telling her you need to take me to airport. No marital benefits for months. Even paying for hydraulic jack, ramps, new good torque wrench and misc tools, I’ll save lot of $$. But primary reason is I now have time. So I understand why some don’t do simple things, my case was time, one of my kids lives in part downtown DC and has no place to store tools or do the work.
I need to be reminded what … marital benefits are.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:14 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I'll argue for the dealer for just a second here, although I don't see myself ever using their service ...

Lift time ... You are renting the lift whether there is a mechanic alongside or not.

Inspections ... Take a look at the inspection list that is supposed to be done with every oil change. To be properly done all of the lower panels would need to be removed. Do they do this? Probably not. But IF they did the oil change would be a very inexpensive proposition.

Liability ... Enough said.

Stocking fees ... Of course you are paying for their inventory costs.

Hazardous waste ... Disposal is a part off tree dealer cost.

If I ever get to the point where I can't do an oil change I probably wouldn't be able to drive. But if somehow the prior situation occurred without the latter I suspect acquiring my own oil and filter and traveling to Pep Boys would be my choice.
All good devil's advocate points Wayne, the dealerships have huge overhead so it's not all gravy (though there's a lot of gravy). That being said, I wouldn't go to the Mayo Clinic for a sprained ankle but the far less expensive local urgent care center. All that expensive overhead and "expertise" isn't needed for something so simple. The fact that they can't offer a simple service efficiently doesn't mean a high price is justified. (I know you weren't saying this but it seems like a common argument on these boards.) If I couldn't do it myself I'd pay an indy or maybe go to Pep Boys like Sandwedge but I'd watch them like a hawk and make sure they used a torque wrench on the drain plug.

I noticed this at the bottom of South Bay Porsche's website below (bold added):

If you’re driving a Porsche sedan, coupe, or SUV in Torrance, it’s imperative that you keep up with routine maintenance and service in order to keep it running at peak performance for many years. Whether you’re in need of an oil change, tire rotation, wheel alignment, or another service, there’s no need to overspend when you count on the service center at Porsche South Bay! Here, we offer a comprehensive rotating selection of Porsche service coupons for Palos Verdes and Manhattan Beach drivers to take advantage of. We believe vital auto maintenance should never be delayed due to costliness, so we make it a point to offer Porsche service specials that cover a wide range of auto services.

Not only is it a blatant rip-off but they also have the chutzpah to gaslight people into thinking they are getting a good deal.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't change my oil. I could, I have.... But I have a great Indy and it's worth $200 to have him look underneath and keep an eye out for other issues.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:01 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 911
lol. The 997 is seriously the easiest oil change of any car that I've ever owned. I don't understand the dealership prices but I guess someone has to pay for all of the free coffee.
That and motor mounts. Easiest motor mounts I have ever changed.

Quick Reply: Attention bargain hunters...