Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which one would you sell?
2004 BMW 330ci ZHP Convertible
67.86%
2005 BMW M3 Competition Package Coupe
32.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Which car should I sell?! Porsche vs. BMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

As an old motorcycle rider who can't ride anymore, I'm always going to favor a convertible.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:12 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

That’s a tough one. How many miles on the M vs the ZHP? Btw, why replace the bearings? BMW had a recall on the earlier ones and newer ones had the upgraded bearings anyway.

I wouldn’t mind a black M3 but have no more garage space
Old 06-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 119 Posts

I've spent a fair amount of money on my E46 M3s using them as daily cars but I've also enjoyed every moment of it. Personally, I'd keep the M3; however, there is a lot of overlap between the M3 and the 911, so it would make more sense to keep the convertible. You also seem attached to the convertible, so it sounds like you know what to do.

The good news is that the E46 M3 is hot right now and yours would fetch a nice price being a manual competition package car. Financially, it's the one to sell with the current market.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

I'll be the dissenting opinion - I'd go the other way. The convertible is just a BMW 3 series convertible... The M3 is and will continue to be more of a landmark car for BMW. It has a better engine, butter suspension, better sound, is faster, handles better, sounds better, etc. - when comparing two 2 door BMWs, why keep the inferior one - just because the top goes down? Not me - I'd keep the M3 or sell both and find an M3 convertible or 997 Cab or some other cab if you really want a cab. I wanted one too - bought a 928 one because it's completely different than my 997 - # of cylinders, engine placement, mountain scalpel vs more GT cruiser, etc.

That sounds like an awesome 997 you've found though - you'll love it.
The following users liked this post:
Rulaxin12 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'll be the dissenting opinion - I'd go the other way. The convertible is just a BMW 3 series convertible... The M3 is and will continue to be more of a landmark car for BMW. It has a better engine, butter suspension, better sound, is faster, handles better, sounds better, etc. - when comparing two 2 door BMWs, why keep the inferior one - just because the top goes down? Not me - I'd keep the M3 or sell both and find an M3 convertible or 997 Cab or some other cab if you really want a cab. I wanted one too - bought a 928 one because it's completely different than my 997 - # of cylinders, engine placement, mountain scalpel vs more GT cruiser, etc.

That sounds like an awesome 997 you've found though - you'll love it.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this comment. The ZHP package is a seemingly simple group of components, but on the E46 330ci, they combine to create / enhance a truly exceptional driving experience (in my opinion - and I think shared by many others who have driven a ZHP manual shift E46). The M3 will definitely handle better, out accelerate and out stop the ZHP 330ci. But the ZHP is so perfectly balanced and mechanically / dynamically performs in such near-perfect harmony - a really special car. It absolutely cannot be written off as "just another BMW 3-series convertible."

Old 06-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this comment. The ZHP package is a seemingly simple group of components, but on the E46 330ci, they combine to create / enhance a truly exceptional driving experience (in my opinion - and I think shared by many others who have driven a ZHP manual shift E46). The M3 will definitely handle better, out accelerate and out stop the ZHP 330ci. But the ZHP is so perfectly balanced and mechanically / dynamically performs in such near-perfect harmony - a really special car. It absolutely cannot be written off as "just another BMW 3-series convertible."
That's why manufacturers make different models and packages - I'll take more raw, noisier, and faster over a harmonious package every day of the week. Even my family vacation car is a 650 HP Cayenne TTS. My daughter has a nice, simple X5 with the 3.0 six in it, but that's her car, not mine, and she's a new driver. I'm also not really a BMW guy, so don't know the nuances of the ZHP package, but I do know what that generation M3 drives like. Plus the hardtop makes it less susceptible to riot damage - which wasn't even a factor until recently LOL

In the end, the OP is going to sell the one he's less attached to and our votes here won't really matter, but it gives us something to do. Looks like the poll is pretty evenly split at this point, and probably why he's in a quandry.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:02 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I personally do not like soft tops so you know my answer. Additionally, I know I would want a clean e46 m3 much more than a 330 5-10 years from now, ZHP or not.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:11 PM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

6 speed ZCP M3s are a hot commodity but I’d take a 997 or a Cayman over an E46 M3 every time. Like others in this thread I’ve owned and driven both quite a bit.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:58 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

+1 sell the M3
Old 06-12-2020, 08:35 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

I’ve had many Bimmers (and Beemers); 3 series and Z’s. I hope you discover what I have. 911 is great daily, and my 997.2 has had only 1 flaw, HPFP which Porsche NA covered. Otherwise only maintenance last 4+ years, God help me I didn’t jinx myself.

Sell both and start looking for 911 cab. I think you’ll find one within $$ reach after selling both BMW’s. People believe P’s are expensive to maintain, but if you can do regular maintenance, you’ll find 997.2’s very reliable and reasonable to maintain. BMW’s cost more for preventive maintenance replacement and fixes; water pumps, radiator/cooling hoses, dash pixels, all electronics, etc. My 911 has been far better. I’ll never return to BMW. OK, if E46 M Coupe falls in my lap I’ll be sorely tempted, but will always be looking for 911 coupe to live beside my cab.

Once you’ve lived with a 911, your car life is ruined, but better.
Ironman88 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 12:39 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 97 Posts

Throw a badly needed lsd on the zhp and call it a day
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 06-13-2020, 02:59 AM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NAMR6MT
Congrats on obtaining a Raby built thoroughbred. It'll be a lifelong keeper. As far the Bimmers are concerned, stick with the M3 ZCP. Why is this even a question?!
Thanks! I can't even tell you how excited I am to finally get the car. I always wanted a 911 S or 4S but didn't think id be lucky enough to get my hands on a Jake Raby 4.0L stage 2. That also being my first Porsche ever....I'm must've done something good in life to get that lucky. Ive heard great things about the Jake engines and I def do plan to keep the 997 forever.

Originally Posted by David Berry
Keep all three, sell the house!😏
trust me on this, if that was my house I wouldn't be in this dilemma right now...id sell the house in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, those pics are taken in front of my buddy's house.

Originally Posted by bschurr
Tough decisions for sure but if you must get rid of 1, my vote is lose the M3. The new 911 will more than make up for your need for speed, handling & performance.

I lived in Bergen County for 20+ years and recognize some of the locations in your pics. You need to keep the convertible because there is truly no substitute for driving a drop top when the weather cooperates (or with the seat heaters on when it’s a little cool).
Great to meet a fellow NJ resident! yes those pics were taken at pallisades state park or bear mountain where I'd take my M3 on the twisties (confession, I did get pulled over there but the cop was nice enough to let me go and told me that "I get it, I'm a car guy too"

If it were my decision, I would keep the 330 and sell the M3.

I've driven both. I owned an '06 E46 M3 competition pkg car for years. It was an outstanding car, but when things broke on it - boy did the $$'s add up. The last repair that I had to do on it (at 33k miles) was replace the DSC controller and wheel sensors. Cost of that - $3,500. And again, at 33k miles - on a car that was meticulously cared for and maintained.

The enjoyment that you have had driving the M3 will be found (and then some) in driving the 911.

The 330 is a completely different experience from both the M3 and the 911. In the photos, that looks to be the better car - appearance and condition-wise. It's a keeper.

Best of luck with your decision.

(My former M3 - below...)

2006 E46 M3 Competition Pkg 6 Spd
I totally understand your pain. We are actually a BMW family until now and own a e70 x5 and an e90 3 series. While I generally like learning about cars and fixing them myself, I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself saying these cars are literally never ending and I'm always working on them! PS..that car looks beautiful, how did you get yourself to let it go? What do you own now?

Originally Posted by Sporty
You'll forget about the M3 once you get that 4.0 997. Keep the 'vert. Where in Jersey ?
I currently live in Montville, NJ...where are you? Maybe once I get my 997 we can meet up and go for a ride together.

Originally Posted by workhurts
That’s a tough one. How many miles on the M vs the ZHP? Btw, why replace the bearings? BMW had a recall on the earlier ones and newer ones had the upgraded bearings anyway.

I wouldn’t mind a black M3 but have no more garage space
The M has about 101k miles (def not a garage queen) and the zhp has 115k miles. By no means low miles, but I've maintained both of them religiously and they both drive like new cars. (minus the m3 having one leaking gaskets at the headers which I need to fix soon =((( ) Rod bearings I replaced because supposedly even the upgraded ones wear out and I wanted to get it done as preventive maintenance rather than ending up with a spun bearing and blown up engine.

You have precisely described exactly how I feel when I drive this car..it's such. perfectly balanced car. The only reason I keep praising the zhp is because I low-key feel like I'll end up selling it but keep trying to convince myself how amazing it is and I won't miss the m3 once I get the 997.

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
I’ve had many Bimmers (and Beemers); 3 series and Z’s. I hope you discover what I have. 911 is great daily, and my 997.2 has had only 1 flaw, HPFP which Porsche NA covered. Otherwise only maintenance last 4+ years, God help me I didn’t jinx myself.

Sell both and start looking for 911 cab. I think you’ll find one within $$ reach after selling both BMW’s. People believe P’s are expensive to maintain, but if you can do regular maintenance, you’ll find 997.2’s very reliable and reasonable to maintain. BMW’s cost more for preventive maintenance replacement and fixes; water pumps, radiator/cooling hoses, dash pixels, all electronics, etc. My 911 has been far better. I’ll never return to BMW. OK, if E46 M Coupe falls in my lap I’ll be sorely tempted, but will always be looking for 911 coupe to live beside my cab.

Once you’ve lived with a 911, your car life is ruined, but better.
Can't even tell you how annoying it gets sometimes!! you forget about the valve cover gaskets constantly leaking oil...or the oil filter housing gasket leaking oil ...the list just goes up! I really hope you're right about the 997 ...if that's the case I'll truly fall in love with it.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:02 AM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I also wanted to say ....This is exactly why I love these forums so much. It's more than just driving the car, it's being part of the community. Every person has a unique approach and a well thought out response. Thanks everyone for taking out the time to respond and helping me with this decision! You may not think so but it really helps me since I get the perspective of fellow enthusiasts who truly understand that these are more than just cars.

Seems like the votes were pretty dead center 50/50 at first...but looks like zhp might be the car voted to sell.

Keep them coming
Old 06-13-2020, 04:48 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

The e46 M3 can be considered the pinnacle of the M3 and you have a manual one plus you put in the cost of the rod bearing replacement. You can’t really recoup maintenance costs on resale so you might as well reap the benefits of your investment.

coupes are more valuable than convertibles and M3 coupes are more practical than 911s being more of a sedan shaped coupe than a sports car shaped coupe.

if you need to scratch the itch for a convertible maybe get an used Miata some day? Running costs/maintenance would be comparatively minimal.
Fined (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 06:16 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

IF you we're NOT buying another car, I'd keep M3, BUT you're buying a coupe sports car, so in this case, it's a no brainer! SELL M3, keep the 330 for open roof and other daily duties, 997 for more sporty drives. Perfect combo!

Quick Reply: Which car should I sell?! Porsche vs. BMW