Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Belt Tensioner Supposed To Be Loose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
covered the threads in blue locktite.
I hope thats an exaggeration because you really only need or want a little bit.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I hope thats an exaggeration because you really only need or want a little bit.

Yep, a little right at the tip of the fastener and then that will distribute as you thread it in. Too much on a fastener that goes into a closed cavity and the hydraulic pressure from the loctite can actually crack the case metal. Happens on dirt bike engine cases all the time when people don't clean oil out of the holes before threading in the bolt and then they find a leak that wasn't there before.

The following users liked this post:
TheTorch (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 10:40 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

Yep, a little right at the tip of the fastener and then that will distribute as you thread it in. Too much on a fastener that goes into a closed cavity and the hydraulic pressure from the loctite can actually crack the case metal. Happens on dirt bike engine cases all the time when people don't clean oil out of the holes before threading in the bolt and then they find a leak that wasn't there before.
Thank you so much for telling me this. I’ll back the bolt out and try to scrub some off with a wire brush
Old 06-11-2020, 10:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much for telling me this. I’ll back the bolt out and try to scrub some off with a wire brush
No need to do that. If it was going to do any damage it would have already done it on the initial instsllation. Leave it be as it should be OK. Just a tip for future reference.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:13 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
No need to do that. If it was going to do any damage it would have already done it on the initial instsllation. Leave it be as it should be OK. Just a tip for future reference.
But beware of over tightening the bolt too. (you said "I grabbed an 8mm ratcheting wrench and tightened the bolt as tight as humanly possible").

I over-tightened a pully/tensioner bolt on my 928 recently (doing the timing belt). The bolt head was large, but the shaft was narrow. I torqued per the large bolt head spec rather than the shaft torque spec, and snapped the bolt. Tightening as hard as you can can be a very bad thing too. There are published Porsche torque specs for the various size bolts. Even if you can't fit a torque wrench in the space, do a couple of "practice torques" with bolts on the work bench to get the feel for the amount of torque you want on the bolt, then torque by feel the bolt in situ. You'll be surprised how much less tightening is needed to meet specified torque specs in the normal case.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:14 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
But beware of over tightening the bolt too. (you said "I grabbed an 8mm ratcheting wrench and tightened the bolt as tight as humanly possible").

I over-tightened a pully/tensioner bolt on my 928 recently (doing the timing belt). The bolt head was large, but the shaft was narrow. I torqued per the large bolt head spec rather than the shaft torque spec, and snapped the bolt. Tightening as hard as you can can be a very bad thing too. There are published Porsche torque specs for the various size bolts. Even if you can't fit a torque wrench in the space, do a couple of "practice torques" with bolts on the work bench to get the feel for the amount of torque you want on the bolt, then torque by feel the bolt in situ. You'll be surprised how much less tightening is needed to meet specified torque specs in the normal case.
I hear ya. But I’m pulling on a tiny 8mm ratcheting wrench and it’s supposed to be torqued to 44lbs. There’s just no clearance to get a torque wrench in there until a future date when I remove the bumber/crosspipe
Old 06-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hear ya. But I’m pulling on a tiny 8mm ratcheting wrench and it’s supposed to be torqued to 44lbs. There’s just no clearance to get a torque wrench in there until a future date when I remove the bumber/crosspipe
Yep, it would be hard to get more than 44 ft.lbs. onto that via an 8mm wrench. I think you're good.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:22 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Put some red nail polish on it at 6 o’clock. Then you can check it. I had this prob last year , it has not moved since I torqued it the second time. Had to put a wrench on a wrench to get about a 8 inch lever to torque it a further 12.5 degrees or so

Quick Reply: Drive Belt Tensioner Supposed To Be Loose?