Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More info on 2005...valuation opinions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 03:05 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 182 Posts

If 25K is 10% of a yearly income you'll be more than fine. I bet majority of us don't clear that and have more expensive cars. Enjoy the purchase and have fun with it, that's why you bought it. It's entertainment expense really.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Mine was around $1500 installed with new Eibach pro kit, bump stops, shock mounts. You can also send the steerirng wheel out for a custom redo to Dallas Custom, but, we may be getting ahead of ourselves. From what I see, I'd be shocked if you can get this car for as low as $20K if the PPI checks out, maybe $23.5 or $24K, unless the seller really needs the moolah or just wants to be done with the selling process, but what do I know .
Old 06-09-2020, 03:13 PM
jmoffett
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
If 25K is 10% of a yearly income you'll be more than fine. I bet majority of us don't clear that and have more expensive cars. Enjoy the purchase and have fun with it, that's why you bought it. It's entertainment expense really.
Gross, not net.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:15 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoffett
Gross, not net.
Well..... in that case, I think it might be Prius time instead...

The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:16 PM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sporty
Mine was around $1500 installed with new Eibach pro kit, bump stops, shock mounts. You can also send the steerirng wheel out for a custom redo to Dallas Custom, but, we may be getting ahead of ourselves. From what I see, I'd be shocked if you can get this car for as low as $20K if the PPI checks out, maybe $23.5 or $24K, unless the seller really needs the moolah or just wants to be done with the selling process, but what do I know .
Based on his house and other possessions, I would guess he makes a lot more than me. I think he just wants it gone. I offered him $22k contingent upon the PPI. If he accepts, I'll have about $23,750 all in after PPI, taxes, and registration.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:20 PM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Well..... in that case, I think it might be Prius time instead...

LOL...well, he said he bets the majority don't clear that much. If we cleared that much (jointly, mind you) I'd be shopping for a 991.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

jmoffett, get a cab especially if you are in a sunny area. I got the 911 bug and bought and 07 Cab S (a bit more). I actually prefer it to my daily 2016 M4! Are you sure you want a tip?
The following users liked this post:
Arctic997 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:12 PM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by mjposner
jmoffett, get a cab especially if you are in a sunny area. I got the 911 bug and bought and 07 Cab S (a bit more). I actually prefer it to my daily 2016 M4! Are you sure you want a tip?
Arkansas is really nice half of the year...Spring and Fall. It's really hot and humid in the Summer and Winters are a crapshoot. It could be 70 or 7. I definitely want a tip. I have no interest in shifting gears stoplight to stoplight on my commute to work.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:32 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 182 Posts

Do a little more research, depending on the right 997 it's worth more than some of the 991's. The only 991 I'm personally interested in is the GT cars and the Targa, I can't afford either ha ha. As you read through all the posts here over time you'll see certain things you want to do to the car. Seems like 20-23k should be you number. I'd say it's a buyers market for that car.

It could be a good idea to know what some of the services cost if they need to be done according to your PPI. Those are the numbers you'll deduct from the asking.

serpentine belt: 5-600
oil change: 2-300
rear tires: 7-800
motor mounts??
plugs??
water pump??
fuel pump??
coolant and break flush??
brake discs and pads??

I'm sure someone a lot more experienced than me can chime in and make you a mini list.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:01 PM
jmoffett
Track Day

Seems like 20-23k should be you number.
I made an offer today of $22k contingent upon a clean PPI. After the cost of the PPI, sales tax, and registration, I'll be all in at $23,500 or so. This includes new plug and coils ($615) since the shop will already have them out doing the bore scope. If I don't buy it, the seller has agreed to pay for the parts.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:22 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Have them do an oil change while there and ask them to save oil for a blackstone oil analysis.

If you have a good socket set, a belt change is actually super easy, no real adjustment, just take out air box (to change air filter you have to anyway) and turn one bolt to remove, turn same bolt to install. 1.5 out of 5 on the mechanical skill level
Old 06-10-2020, 09:45 AM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by mjposner
Have them do an oil change while there and ask them to save oil for a blackstone oil analysis.

If you have a good socket set, a belt change is actually super easy, no real adjustment, just take out air box (to change air filter you have to anyway) and turn one bolt to remove, turn same bolt to install. 1.5 out of 5 on the mechanical skill level
I’m using LN Engineering for the oil analysis. They had expedited service, whereas the Blackstone oil analysis kit won’t arrive before the PPI.

I used to own an auto repair and towing business. I’m not a certified mechanic (I did the towing and employed a mechanic) but I’ve had my hand in a lot of repair jobs. I also kept most of the tools and keep them in a Mac Tools toolbox the size of a refrigerator. I have a 25x32 detached garage where I do projects and repairs, although I’ve gotten lazy the last several years and tend to take my vehicles to a friend’s repair shop and just pay him to do it. I suspect I’ll be doing more of my own if I get this car. Working on cars isn’t my favorite thing to do but I’m fairly capable and well-equipped, except for a lift. I really miss having a lift.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

LOL...well, he said he bets the majority don't clear that much. If we cleared that much (jointly, mind you) I'd be shopping for a 991.
I would not shop for a 991 no matter how much money I made. Had 2, sold both, went back to a 997.2.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Do a little more research, depending on the right 997 it's worth more than some of the 991's. The only 991 I'm personally interested in is the GT cars and the Targa, I can't afford either ha ha. As you read through all the posts here over time you'll see certain things you want to do to the car. Seems like 20-23k should be you number. I'd say it's a buyers market for that car.

It could be a good idea to know what some of the services cost if they need to be done according to your PPI. Those are the numbers you'll deduct from the asking.

serpentine belt: 5-600
oil change: 2-300
rear tires: 7-800
motor mounts??
plugs??
water pump??
fuel pump??
coolant and break flush??
brake discs and pads??

I'm sure someone a lot more experienced than me can chime in and make you a mini list.
FWIW, I get my oil changed at NTB type places for about $132.00. I use dealer for most stuff, but just cannot see spending $400 for an oil change.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:22 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I’m using LN Engineering for the oil analysis. They had expedited service, whereas the Blackstone oil analysis kit won’t arrive before the PPI.

I used to own an auto repair and towing business. I’m not a certified mechanic (I did the towing and employed a mechanic) but I’ve had my hand in a lot of repair jobs. I also kept most of the tools and keep them in a Mac Tools toolbox the size of a refrigerator. I have a 25x32 detached garage where I do projects and repairs, although I’ve gotten lazy the last several years and tend to take my vehicles to a friend’s repair shop and just pay him to do it. I suspect I’ll be doing more of my own if I get this car. Working on cars isn’t my favorite thing to do but I’m fairly capable and well-equipped, except for a lift. I really miss having a lift.
Well -what happened/is happening - any update?

Quick Reply: More info on 2005...valuation opinions appreciated