Dang!!! Bent rim... flattend tire... pissed off! Opinion Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020 | 10:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Dang!!! Bent rim... flattend tire... pissed off! Opinion Please

2009 C2S 156K miles

Just hit a chuck hole on I-476.... bent the front rim and deflated the tire..... rear rim visibly bent but held air.

Question: Is the tire still good? Certainly look good to me.

Happened near my home... Uber driver there took me home, grabbed my winter tire/rim.... swapped. Back home..... pissed off.

So.... the summer tires were good for at least this full summer... figured I would be getting new ones beginning next summer. Also, I dislike my 19" rims.... always threatened to get 18" rims.

Options:
1 - Two new 19" rims, same tires... gotta shop around for these rims
2 - Two new rims, 4 new tires
3 - Four 18" rims, 4 new tires

There is a great tire/rim place in Wilmington DE.... Sports Car Tire... he always has a big inventory of used and take off rims. Gonna call tomorrow.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 06-07-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2020 | 10:58 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

I'd be worried about a broken belt. Probably can't tell til is off the rim.

Is that a mustang GT track pack rim behind it?
Old 06-07-2020 | 11:08 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Get a used rim to match. In the mean time remove tire and get it inspected.

Good Luck
Old 06-07-2020 | 11:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Rim behind is my 18" Porsche winter rims. Those 18" rims are the only Porsche rims I actually like... that I have seen Porsche produce for the Boxster/Caymen/911 in the last 20 years. I always thought Porsche rims were... I dunno.... just missed the mark for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-07-2020 | 11:52 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 156K miles

Just hit a chuck hole on I-476.... bent the front rim and deflated the tire..... rear rim visibly bent but held air.

Question: Is the tire still good? Certainly look good to me.

Happened near my home... Uber driver there took me home, grabbed my winter tire/rim.... swapped. Back home..... pissed off.

So.... the summer tires were good for at least this full summer... figured I would be getting new ones beginning next summer. Also, I dislike my 19" rims.... always threatened to get 18" rims.

Options:
1 - Two new 19" rims, same tires... gotta shop around for these rims
2 - Two new rims, 4 new tires
3 - Four 18" rims, 4 new tires

There is a great tire/rim place in Wilmington DE.... Sports Car Tire... he always has a big inventory of used and take off rims. Gonna call tomorrow.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
If you get two new 19" rims, you'll still have a set of rims that you don't like.

Forget using the existing tires. Given the number of miles you drive, it's not worth risking a tire failure - especially one at speed. Tires are things I never try to economize on. Your life depends on them.

You need to get a set of 4 new tires. You might as well get the the set of 18" wheels - sounds like that is what you want.

Old 06-07-2020 | 11:57 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

I have the stock 18 carrera IV’s. They look great, easy to clean, and are 18’s. With the potholes here in NE Ohio can’t even consider 19’s

My vote is for all 18’s. EBay has sets in NB fitment.
Old 06-08-2020 | 01:11 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’ve had rims (in the past) that were bent so bad... they looked like triangles. But excellent Rim repair shops took care of it.
Old 06-08-2020 | 01:16 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

You can get both repaired for about $300 all in with straightening/refinishing/remounting. That's roughly the rate I've seen over the years.

Otherwise individual replacement wheels will be in the $2-300 range on eBay...
Old 06-08-2020 | 01:38 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Generally the turn around time for repair is quicker than new wheel delivery time.

That must have been a doozy of a pothole. I've bottomed my suspension on harsh potholes more than once but never bent a Porsche wheel.

Glad this wasn't worse for you.
The following users liked this post:
Summerjack (09-15-2022)
Old 06-08-2020 | 01:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
I’ve had rims (in the past) that were bent so bad... they looked like triangles. But excellent Rim repair shops took care of it.
Originally Posted by hexagone
You can get both repaired for about $300 all in with straightening/refinishing/remounting. That's roughly the rate I've seen over the years.

Otherwise individual replacement wheels will be in the $2-300 range on eBay...
Agree with those opinions, especially since you don't like the rims anyway. The best of these rim repair guys truly does magic with what seems to be impossible missions. Would probably cost you half or less compared to a used set of two on Ebay if you can even find a matching front and rear.
Old 06-08-2020 | 08:36 AM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

No affiliation - Website: http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/philly The local franchise in Louisville fixed a badly bent wheel on my buddy's Merc. I know each franchise is different but it might be a place to start. Additionally, someone in the local PCA club has probably straightened a wheel - get in touch with the club for a recommendation.
BTW - sorry for your misfortune - too bad there is not a reward for the most flat tires.
The following users liked this post:
curt parnes (09-14-2022)
Old 06-08-2020 | 09:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
No affiliation - Website: http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/philly The local franchise in Louisville fixed a badly bent wheel on my buddy's Merc. I know each franchise is different but it might be a place to start. Additionally, someone in the local PCA club has probably straightened a wheel - get in touch with the club for a recommendation.
BTW - sorry for your misfortune - too bad there is not a reward for the most flat tires.
Yes, these guys are good. I used them for Her car and they did a great job. They also do Conshohocken Porsche's work.

Thanx all.... I am going to throw the two wheels in Her car and head over this morning. I sent an email to Sports Car Tire in Delaware who usually have an amazing inventory of used wheels and will see what they come back with, but a repair is the cheaper way.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-08-2020 | 12:43 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Damn Bruce- that must of been an huge hole! I would get an alignment too after that. I have a set of lobster forks over here that I would let go super cheap if you like those. ($800 for all 4)
The following 2 users liked this post by rtl5009:
63mercedes (06-08-2020), Summerjack (09-15-2022)
Old 06-08-2020 | 12:58 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Bruce, now's your chance to go with new rims in black. Don't listen to the haters -- they look great and take 4 times as long to look dirty. Brake dust? worry no more.

Old 06-08-2020 | 01:06 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yes, these guys are good. I used them for Her car and they did a great job. They also do Conshohocken Porsche's work.

Thanx all.... I am going to throw the two wheels in Her car and head over this morning. I sent an email to Sports Car Tire in Delaware who usually have an amazing inventory of used wheels and will see what they come back with, but a repair is the cheaper way.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Good luck. In NY, the state will pay for damage to rims/tires caused by pot holes. All you need are photos documenting the hole and your damage. Maybe the same is true in your state?

Quick Reply: Dang!!! Bent rim... flattend tire... pissed off! Opinion Please