Sponsored by:

Tire mounting error?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rsinghal3
Got it. Do you plan on having an alignment done as well after?
No I will do my own alignment. The older I get the less I trust other people to work on my car. Have had so many bad experiences. That said, I've heard nothing but good things about GTE's alignments.
The following users liked this post:
rsinghal3 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

The old Coats machines could damage a wheel this way. The wheel mounts upside down over a spindle. A cone screws down onto the center of the wheel to hold it. A blade is lifted up over the tire to the wheel and activates downward to break the bead from the wheel (while another blade breaks the bead on the other side). Then the inside of the tire is pulled up to allow a bar to wedge between the outside rim of the wheel and the inside of the tire. The wedge attaches to the spindle and then rotates (drags) around the wheel. Repeat to get the other side of the tire off.

Flip the bar over to its forked end to put the new tire on.

Lots of room to damage the wheel.

Better to find a shop using Hunter equipment. Especially for road force balancing ... Few shops have the balance machine. Find one and you've most likely found a good shop.

I'm not saying the damage was done while changing tires. Just that it's possible. If I was placing a bet I'd go with a car wash.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The old Coats machines could damage a wheel this way. The wheel mounts upside down over a spindle. A cone screws down onto the center of the wheel to hold it. A blade is lifted up over the tire to the wheel and activates downward to break the bead from the wheel (while another blade breaks the bead on the other side). Then the inside of the tire is pulled up to allow a bar to wedge between the outside rim of the wheel and the inside of the tire. The wedge attaches to the spindle and then rotates (drags) around the wheel. Repeat to get the other side of the tire off.

Flip the bar over to its forked end to put the new tire on.

Lots of room to damage the wheel.

Better to find a shop using Hunter equipment. Especially for road force balancing ... Few shops have the balance machine. Find one and you've most likely found a good shop.

I'm not saying the damage was done while changing tires. Just that it's possible. If I was placing a bet I'd go with a car wash.
Yeah I'm sure this is from a car wash from previous owner. The tire mounting question is kind of a separate thing that I combined into one thread.

I recall the auto dealership I worked for back in the 90's using a machine that worked exactly as you described. As for Hunter machines, do you know if ALL Hunter mounting machines of the touchless variety?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
Yeah I'm sure this is from a car wash from previous owner. The tire mounting question is kind of a separate thing that I combined into one thread.

I recall the auto dealership I worked for back in the 90's using a machine that worked exactly as you described. As for Hunter machines, do you know if ALL Hunter mounting machines of the touchless variety?
I don't know of any that aren't. But I can't prove a negative. I would ask to see the equipment. Let them know you are curious and involved. At the very least you should get better service.

I used to travel a lot, modifying and updating industrial machinery. I always appreciated the customer that wanted to look over my shoulder and examine my work. I knew they would appreciate my efforts and be happier for learning what I was doing.

If your mechanic doesn't feel the same they may not know what they are doing.

I leave the hubcaps on when I drop off my wheels. It's a test. Check to see if they put the hubcaps back on pointing to the valve stem. If they did compliment them for it. They will remember you next time.

And leave a $20 behind for a pizza when you pick up your new tires. Their work is tough, especially in the heat of summer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
Hindsight2010 (06-03-2020), Ironman88 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I don't know of any that aren't. But I can't prove a negative. I would ask to see the equipment. Let them know you are curious and involved. At the very least you should get better service.

I used to travel a lot, modifying and updating industrial machinery. I always appreciated the customer that wanted to look over my shoulder and examine my work. I knew they would appreciate my efforts and be happier for learning what I was doing.

If your mechanic doesn't feel the same they may not know what they are doing.

I leave the hubcaps on when I drop off my wheels. It's a test. Check to see if they put the hubcaps back on pointing to the valve stem. If they did compliment them for it. They will remember you next time.

And leave a $20 behind for a pizza when you pick up your new tires. Their work is tough, especially in the heat of summer.
And made much more difficult in the midst of this pandemic. Tipping is a very considerate gesture for sure.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

As said already - car wash track or concrete damage. What size wheel and tire are those. The tire looks a little narrow for the wheel width. Tire size is obviously on the sidewall and of a Porsxhe wheel, width is embossed by the valve stem.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
As said already - car wash track or concrete damage. What size wheel and tire are those. The tire looks a little narrow for the wheel width. Tire size is obviously on the sidewall and of a Porsxhe wheel, width is embossed by the valve stem.
OEM wheels with OEM size tires (295s). I just put 305s on them a couple days after that pic was taken. Both sizes were in spec for 2009 C2S though I am not sure if the stock wheels for that year varied in width....don't think they do though, These are the "sport wheels" (split 5 spoke), I think the call them.... the ones everyone seems to like. Silver painted, not the ones with the machined faces.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:14 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Those look like Turbo wheels to me...
Old 06-04-2020, 11:22 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Those look like Turbo wheels to me...
The one photo is of my wheel, not the OP's. Mine is a Turbo wheel...

Car wash damaged rim

No damage on this side though
Old 06-04-2020, 11:35 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

my bad ! I saw your pic @Ironman88 thinking it was the OPs...
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

These are mine - OEM with 295s. Just put sport cup 2 on them (305s) and will be using the OEM wheels as my track setup and I have a set of BBS E88s coming that I will run on the street.

Quick Reply: Tire mounting error?