Sponsored by:

Dead battery can't jump the hood open

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Lancelakewood
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dead battery can't jump the hood open

I have just hooked up my Subaru to the red contact in the fuse box and ground to the door latch. Contact is being made as the right blinker and running light is on if I turn the lights on. Not the left. What I do to get in and charge the battery??

I had pulled some fuses two weeks ago to see if I could get the aging aftermarket nav stereo head to work but I discovered a wire for power had disconnected at the fuse box.
I have no idea which fuse it was jammed into for power as everyone I slid it into was hot even with the ignition off. When I was pulling fuses
I must have put one in the wrong place as several items did not work, like roof, hood, rear spoiler and engine release. The mechanic next to work got it straightened out in no time. I drove it a day or two and then sat for about 4 days.
Not happy about the set up with the donor battery in the first place, just to get in the frunk. Now I can't even get that to work. What's next? 4 sale?.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancelakewood
I have just hooked up my Subaru to the red contact in the fuse box and ground to the door latch. Contact is being made as the right blinker and running light is on if I turn the lights on. Not the left. What I do to get in and charge the battery??.
All of this is in the owner's manual:

for 997.2, with the connections as you have described, you hold down the frunk open button on your remote...NOT the cockpit button next to the driver's seat.

Failing that, there is a manual way to pop the frunk by removing the left front wheel and wheel well liner. There you will find a wire loop.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:27 PM
Lancelakewood
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is 997.1
I have been able to open it by the cockpit button the couple other times this happened.
I read the manual but must have missed the part about using the key fob. Having tried the fob a few minutes ago
it worked!

Last edited by Lancelakewood; 06-03-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

You have to make sure the connection is really good... as it seems you have done, but also as the person above said try both the remote and the switch in the door panel. Make sure your ground is good also. Some times the jump clamps just dont get a good bite.

And before you sell , if you don't want to ever be stuck like this we make a lithium battery with WIRELESS built in Jump Starting that will also not allow this to ever happen since if you over -discharge the battery you just press a keyfob to wake the battery us and access it reserve and get the power flowing or Jump Start the car.

Quick Reply: Dead battery can't jump the hood open