Sponsored by:

Tandem Pump Cover - Anyone Paint it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 05:44 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts
Default Tandem Pump Cover - Anyone Paint it?

2009 C2S 155K miles....

Mine is rotting like everyone else's pump cover. Not too bad. It appears 997.1 covers are worse off than .2 covers..... Anywho.... Covid conspiracies are manifesting themselves in my tandem pump cover.... need to do something.

I was thinking of using the Rustoleum rust stopper and then paint with high-temp flat black. I think I can do it laying on my back..... brush it clean with a wire brush... Rustoleum... then paint.

Anyone?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-24-2020, 06:14 PM
daxtojeiro
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted mine with POR15 5 years ago. It protected it for a while, but around 6 months ago I had to get it replaced as it was noticed when serviced. So yes, paint it, it will prolong the life of it a little
Phil
Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

It was bothering me, and at $180 for the 997.2 pump, I just bought a new pump. I am curious if the new cover is more rust resistant since the fitment guide indicates it fits models all the way through 2019 -- you would expect they improved it given the known issue. Maybe not.

Will let you know if I learn anything when it arrives.
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-08-2021)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:54 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

Is the cover easy to remove on a 997.1? I have looked at it but I don’t want to remove the whole pump. If you can just remove the cover I would definitely remove it and paint it.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:14 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Installed my new tandem pump yesterday. The new one has a black painted cover.

I could experiment with removing the old one (looks easy) or send it to you Bruce if you want to paint it and replace yours. Otherwise I am throwing it out. LMK
Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Installed my new tandem pump yesterday. The new one has a black painted cover.

I could experiment with removing the old one (looks easy) or send it to you Bruce if you want to paint it and replace yours. Otherwise I am throwing it out. LMK
Thanx for the offer, but I decided to let it go.... unbelievable for me to let something like that go. I got down under there and scrubbed it with a wire brush and frankly, it was not bad at all.... looked worse than it was as it was caked with crud. Looks like Porsche upgraded the materials on the .2.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-02-2020, 12:11 PM
JVinPortland
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

OK, OK, I'll bite. I'm an oil-change-and-brake-pads-level wrench, and I'm new to Porsche. What and where is the tandem pump??
Really hoping it isn't a spoofer part designed to hook noobs like me into asking the question...

Trending Topics

Old 06-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JVinPortland
OK, OK, I'll bite. I'm an oil-change-and-brake-pads-level wrench, and I'm new to Porsche. What and where is the tandem pump??
Really hoping it isn't a spoofer part designed to hook noobs like me into asking the question...
Ha. It’s really a thing. You can’t miss it. It will be the rustiest thing under your car. Below the serpentine belt centre right side of the engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaws1:
JVinPortland (06-02-2020), TheTorch (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 03:31 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Does oil come out when you remove the cover? I was going to paint mine when I did my 200 Cell cats, but forgot ;-) Was too excited to get the new cats on... LOL If it leaks oil all over the place I will wait until the next oil change ;-)

Thaks.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:48 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Default tandem pump innards

Originally Posted by chonniedotcom
Does oil come out when you remove the cover? I was going to paint mine when I did my 200 Cell cats, but forgot ;-) Was too excited to get the new cats on... LOL If it leaks oil all over the place I will wait until the next oil change ;-)

Thaks.
When I removed the whole pump, nothing came out. When I removed the cover on my bench, a few tablespoons of oil came out. Not much.

I pulled the cover to see what's there. Couple thoughts:
  • 3 loose pieces that will fall out if you just pull the cover. Catch them or risk deforming them if they hit the floor.
  • You have to be careful not to get any grit in there, or really clean it before you put it back. There is a gasket around the outside of the cover, embedded in the pump side.
  • The cover is quite thick. Would take a serious amount of rust to rust through the cover IMO. Rust was pretty superficial.
  • If you just pull the cover, it might be tricky to get them to stay in the proper position (they are loose, not secured) when you go to put the cover back on.

Pics. First pic shows them in proper position. The second pic shows the parts that will fall out.

in situ pump parts

exploded parts

Last edited by TheTorch; 06-02-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Good information. I’m relieved that the cover is quite thick. I think I’ll clean it up in place with emery cloth and chemical rust remover and then coat it with a brush.

Quick Reply: Tandem Pump Cover - Anyone Paint it?