Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp back panel removal (loose screw)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020 | 12:13 AM
tech_auto
Intermediate

Default Headlamp back panel removal (loose screw)

On my passenger side headlamp there is a small gold screw with washer stuck at the bottom under the lens portion (see photo).
It doesn't rattle, looks jammed in place behind the lens and back housing but I hate looking at it and want to get it out.
I have the lamp assembly out but how can I open up the back panel of the assembly to get rid of this screw? Does Porsche use glue/sealer that will make it difficult to take apart?
There are screws all over the assembly so I'm not sure where to start and wanted to see if anyone else has experience taking apart the light assembly.

Old 05-24-2020 | 11:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure there are a few screws and a plastic tab that allow removal of the rear cover.

Look in the manual for instructions on replacing the bulbs.
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:54 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Petza is right. There are 4 screws on the 4 corners and a couple of locking tabs above and below.The lid comes off easily. There is enough gap for a screw to roll all the way to the front of the assembly. You can just rock the assembly or use a stick or maybe just an air-hose at low pressure to dislodge the screw.
Old 05-25-2020 | 01:52 AM
tech_auto
Intermediate

Good call guys, I did as you had recommended and used a thin metal wire with hook to dislodge it. It was stuck really good, honestly this is one of the more ridiculous things I've had to do on a car

Meanwhile doing this I noticed the ballast wiring on my lights are all cracking, very concerning.. I'm thinking of using Gardner Bender Black Liquid Electrical Tape to fix it.

Quick Reply: Headlamp back panel removal (loose screw)