Sponsored by:

Is bore scoring cover by a CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
My only concern here would be, to what level of damage would the CPO come into affect? Remember that the manual states ridiculous amounts of oil usage as "normal" and as such, one "could" argue that until you exceed that limit, scoring isn't an issue. Which means, you may have to have quite the deficient engine before Porsche would recognize it as an issue. Perhaps if the dealer backed you up? I dunno. But I have no doubt that CPO would cover it.

Cw
Not replacing engine due to oil consumption. Replacing engine because cylinder walls are trashed. So far, we have only heard of people getting their engines covered for scoring under CPO and no one has communicated a denial.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:12 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My case is documented here going back to 2016. Just query for posts on my handle and you will find my oil consumption thread . Sorry, not trying to sound like a *****...I’m in bed typing on an iPad..which is real fun...
Old 05-29-2020, 02:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
My only concern here would be, to what level of damage would the CPO come into affect? Remember that the manual states ridiculous amounts of oil usage as "normal" and as such, one "could" argue that until you exceed that limit, scoring isn't an issue. Which means, you may have to have quite the deficient engine before Porsche would recognize it as an issue. Perhaps if the dealer backed you up? I dunno. But I have no doubt that CPO would cover it.

Cw
Good point. I think Porsche allows as much as a quart every 600 miles as "normal". To the OP.....what's your oil consumption? If you have video of scoring in 4 cylinders it would seem like your oil consumption should have gotten your attention by now.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:54 AM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
It did for me! I have an 09 3.6 Base that was CPO and found scoring. I got a brand new engine from Germany and paid not a dime for it.
@gopirates I'm curious how did you find out the scoring? did you get it checked (scoped?) proactively? or you noticed ticking sound or some other symptom and they diagnosed it for you?
I have a 997.2 CPO, I know it's relatively uncommon for it to happen with 997.2, but still, I wonder if it would worth paying for a check myself and in the rare case it has bore scoring get it addressed by the CPO before it expires...
Old 05-30-2020, 12:41 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought the car in Philly and on the drive back to NC, the add oil engine light came on when I crossed the Va/Nc line. I drove to the nearest WalMart and put 3 quarts in. Called the dealership I bought it from and they claimed ignorance. I should Have exercised my 3 day return and told them to come get the car. Oh well.

I did however measure in a spreadsheet every drop of oil I put in for a year and mileage. I realized I had put 8 quarts in over a period of 5000 miles. I did have a slight ticking and had very sooty pipes. I took it to the local dealership and inquired with my spreadsheet in hand.

I also started documenting this here. Jake gave some advice on my thread. Dealership did change my AOS and I drove for 1K more miles. Still burned oil like a sorority girl can swill beer. They took it back in, dropped the engine, did a compression and leak down (which really means very little here iirc) and ran a scope down the cylinders. They found scoring and called Germany. Germany said, “CPO Yes?” He gets a new engine.

It is all documented in my thread. With the new engine and now about 12k miles on it, it has barely burned any oil between annual oil changes.

It does still have sooty pipes though ticking is gone. I now, as I always did, properly warm it up before going over 3200 RPMs. I did receive a HTT with the new engine, so it warms up at 175ish and stays there unless I start to push it, or it is a 90+ degree day.

If I don’t push it and keep it under 4K RPMs, the oil temp won’t budge past 175-180.

I did talk with Jake last year about a pre-emptive rebuild. At this point, this is a want and not a need. I would still love to get on his list before he retires. The idea of a 4.0 is tantalizing.

I believe since it was a northern car that was a factor And who knows how it was warmed up and cooled down. I was the third owner and the second owner was a dealership employee. I suspect they found the scoring, though I can never prove that.

I also know my overrev report was immaculate as only either 51 or 500 cycles in Range 1 and the rest were 0s when I bought the car. I also demanded the local dealership run a new report after the new engine was installed. They initially balked and I challenged them this is standard data and since I got a new engine if I sell, the car can be seen as tainted and this will be a good data point for posterity. They relented and gave me a new report which confirmed the overrevs had not changed.

I hope this works out for you. This was stressful for me and hope you get through it with good results.

Last edited by gopirates; 06-03-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:44 AM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
i hope this works out for you. This was stressful for me and you get through it with good results.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
My car only consumes a moderate amount of oil (0.5 qt every 1k miles), but it does have asymmetric sooty pipes. I think most of the owners will consider this is within spec / normal, but for those of us who bought the car with CPO, it's hard not to think about going the extra mile to utilize our warranty if possible.
I haven't tried asking the dealership but I wonder if they would do an inspection (borescope etc) on their cost given with these very mild symptoms. But given how costly a rebuilt is, I might even consider doing a borescope on my own cost before the warranty expires (side question, anyone knows how much a bore scoping would cost around NY/NJ/CT area? Which shops would you recommend?)

Quick Reply: Is bore scoring cover by a CPO?