Sponsored by:

Oil Filter O-Ring Sealing Ring - ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts
Default Oil Filter O-Ring Sealing Ring - ??

2009 C2S 155K miles

Question: Has anyone purchased the oil filter rubber O-Ring from a dealer? Any issues? Are they tight and need to be slightly stretched to go on? I have sourced all my Mahle filters via Amazon, Pelican, etc... the filter comes with a ring, and ring always fit tightly and always consistent that way.

Mine, from the dealer, was larger, thicker, and floppy. So much for size. Anywhoo.... I slipped on the new O-Ring and it went on really easy, and then I noticed it drooped when I turned over the cap. Hmm..... I checked my invoice it was the correct, new part number.... I wonder if the dealer pulled from the wrong bin? Opinion? To keep going, I re-used the old ring.

Did an oil change this AM and I forgot to order a filter! Stupid! I always had a few on a shelf but not today. So, over to the dealer.... no auto parts shops carry these Mahle filters. Cost? Hold on to your hat and this includes my 10$ PCA discount...
- O-Ring $9.99
- Aluminum washer $1.64
- Mahle Filter $27.04

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-22-2020, 04:33 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 155K miles

Question: Has anyone purchased the oil filter rubber O-Ring from a dealer? Any issues? Are they tight and need to be slightly stretched to go on? I have sourced all my Mahle filters via Amazon, Pelican, etc... the filter comes with a ring, and ring always fit tightly and always consistent that way.

Mine, from the dealer, was larger, thicker, and floppy. So much for size. Anywhoo.... I slipped on the new O-Ring and it went on really easy, and then I noticed it drooped when I turned over the cap. Hmm..... I checked my invoice it was the correct, new part number.... I wonder if the dealer pulled from the wrong bin? Opinion? To keep going, I re-used the old ring.

Did an oil change this AM and I forgot to order a filter! Stupid! I always had a few on a shelf but not today. So, over to the dealer.... no auto parts shops carry these Mahle filters. Cost? Hold on to your hat and this includes my 10$ PCA discount...
- O-Ring $9.99
- Aluminum washer $1.64
- Mahle Filter $27.04

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Theory of surplus value alive and well. On the other hand, for the 997.1 you can buy filter + ring + housing (!) as original Porsche parts for like $20 total.
And no, I've never seen an oil filter rubber sealing ring that didn't fit perfectly and snug.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

I used to buy six Filter kits at a time from the dealer ... Filter with O-ring and crush washer. Cost was around $23. O-ring was always tight.

Just ordered 6 Mahle filters on line for 1/3 that price but haven't used one yet. These arrived with O-rings but no crush washers.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry, I have not ordered a filter/o-ring from the dealer - I have always used Mahle filters as well.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:23 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Thanx.... I called them adn they credited me the $9.99 back. He said they stock two different sizes... stocking problem.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-25-2020, 12:52 PM
cam0141
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Good catch

Good thing you questioned it. Could have been messy if you blindly installed it.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:57 PM
cam0141
Intermediate

Default Dealer

Also, for dealer here in Calgary I think they realized that no one was buying filters for older cars and they have dropped their prices to within a couple of bucks of Amazon. So now that’s where I go now for filters. They even threw in a free crush washer last time.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:54 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

The filters that come from mahle with the o ring are for 911's
Form the dealer they have two o ring sizes and they come separate from the filter. One for a 911 and one for a macan. The macan takes a thicker o ring even though it is the same filter. I'm guessing that's what they gave you. This is an updated part that was changed. It will leak if you use the o ring for the 911. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:47 PM
cam0141
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by cam0141
Also, for dealer here in Calgary I think they realized that no one was buying filters for older cars and they have dropped their prices to within a couple of bucks of Amazon. So now that’s where I go now for filters. They even threw in a free crush washer last time.
it's a loss leader. They think you'll pick up a new 992 on the way out of the store!

Quick Reply: Oil Filter O-Ring Sealing Ring - ??