Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 track day thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 06:06 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Good feedback. What pressures were you running?
Old 07-01-2020, 06:10 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Fun idea! Any recommendations for the best way to remove track rubber marks?
I struggled to get those marks off my clear side protection areas and found that Mothers plastic polish cleans it up and polished the clear hairs material at the same time!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:12 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
what are your camber settings at? With that tire and street use I would run -1.5-2% camber front and rear. I have done many track days on them and never an issue... might be something to consider.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:13 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

I have 13,000 miles on my Michelin pilot sport 4S and they still look incredible. I expect to get 20,000 miles out of the rears, which is shocking. I never got more than 12,000 in the past with other models. And I’ve tracked my car at COTA and at MSR Cresson. The stock 911 suspension makes the cars pigs on track. They really are tuned for the road. You need to adjust your driving style

Old 07-01-2020, 06:25 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by PJP13
what are your camber settings at? With that tire and street use I would run -1.5-2% camber front and rear. I have done many track days on them and never an issue... might be something to consider.
Spot on. I'm at -1.4 all around.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:27 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ejabour
Good feedback. What pressures were you running?
From my research, found that keeping the tires in the mid 30s is ideal. But as much as the car understeers in stock trim, I used pressure to dial that out a bit. Ran about 33 in front and 38 rear.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:30 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

I have 13,000 miles on my Michelin pilot sport 4S and they still look incredible. I expect to get 20,000 miles out of the rears, which is shocking. I never got more than 12,000 in the past with other models. And I’ve tracked my car at COTA and at MSR Cresson. The stock 911 suspension makes the cars pigs on track. They really are tuned for the road. You need to adjust your driving style
**im eager to learn, I reread this and it kinda sounded like a D-bag, but I'm just not familiar with how driving style relates***

What do you mean to adjust my driving style? How will that help rebound settings and chunking of the tires?

I'm not the first to have experienced this. It's a well documented issue. And I'm all for getting better, but it's not as if I'm biting up just the rear sliding around or rolling over an edge over braking in the corners.. I don't know if a technique in driving to compensate for rebound settings?
Old 07-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Hey glad you posted in here. I forgot about this thread and am glad to be reminded about it. PS4s are good tires no doubt but I think they are more for high performance street driving than track duty. I put Sport Cup 2s on mine and they held up great on my track day 2 weekends ago. My high pressure fuel pump, on the other hand, gave out when I was 3 miles away from the track on my way home. I was able to limp it home fortunately - so no tow required. Dealer and indie mechanic want $1800 to replace it. I'm going to do it myself. Parts just arrived today. I'll take the opportunity to replace the thermostat and do a full coolant flush (which requires 4 frigging gallons of Porsche coolant - plus 4 gallons distilled water).

Car was stock aside from Pagid black pads all the way around, brand new Sport Cup 2 tires, center muffler delete, fisters, and numeric shifter. My first session of the day I beat my previous best time ever on this track (Road Atlanta) which shocked me. I'm glad I had the chance to track the car on stock suspension and alignment. Now I can't wait to install all the suspension components I have on the shelf waiting for me to get time to put them on (need to do that fuel pump first), and see what a difference it makes.

I was neck and neck with an E92 M3 for a few laps. He was a really great driver and had Motion Control Suspension coilovers (which are really good). What really surprised me was that I gave him the point by twice and he couldn't get around me on the straights. Love the power the C2S makes and especially the tight ratios on the 6 speed.

I didn't find it understeered badly, as many complain about. The only thing that surprised me was that I didn't feel I could get on the gas as early as I thought I would be able to in the corners. I may need more practice with this car on that. My last car had bad oversteer so I might be holding back a bit because of the fear that car instilled in me.

Here is a video of one of my clean early laps:

Still trying to get used to the jaw-dropping braking performance of this car. The brakes are just SO good that even at 140mph on the back straight, I keep braking too soon. I just need more laps to find the edge.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:44 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
Hey glad you posted in here. I forgot about this thread and am glad to be reminded about it. PS4s are good tires no doubt but I think they are more for high performance street driving than track duty. I put Sport Cup 2s on mine and they held up great on my track day 2 weekends ago. My high pressure fuel pump, on the other hand, gave out when I was 3 miles away from the track on my way home. I was able to limp it home fortunately - so no tow required. Dealer and indie mechanic want $1800 to replace it. I'm going to do it myself. Parts just arrived today. I'll take the opportunity to replace the thermostat and do a full coolant flush (which requires 4 frigging gallons of Porsche coolant - plus 4 gallons distilled water).

Car was stock aside from Pagid black pads all the way around, brand new Sport Cup 2 tires, center muffler delete, fisters, and numeric shifter. My first session of the day I beat my previous best time ever on this track (Road Atlanta) which shocked me. I'm glad I had the chance to track the car on stock suspension and alignment. Now I can't wait to install all the suspension components I have on the shelf waiting for me to get time to put them on (need to do that fuel pump first), and see what a difference it makes.

I was neck and neck with an E92 M3 for a few laps. He was a really great driver and had Motion Control Suspension coilovers (which are really good). What really surprised me was that I gave him the point by twice and he couldn't get around me on the straights. Love the power the C2S makes and especially the tight ratios on the 6 speed.

I didn't find it understeered badly, as many complain about. The only thing that surprised me was that I didn't feel I could get on the gas as early as I thought I would be able to in the corners. I may need more practice with this car on that. My last car had bad oversteer so I might be holding back a bit because of the fear that car instilled in me.

Here is a video of one of my clean early laps:

Still trying to get used to the jaw-dropping braking performance of this car. The brakes are just SO good that even at 140mph on the back straight, I keep braking too soon. I just need more laps to find the edge.
Yeah I may try a set of the cup2s. This particular track is very abrasive, so I was expecting some damage, but not what I got. I can go through a rear slick on my bike is 3/4 a day if I'm on.... not what I'd like to do with the P-car tires tho.

Regarding the pads, I got a used set of the endurance Pagids. They were great. Last year I faded the stock pads after just a couple laps, these held up MUCH MUCH better.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:49 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Yeah I may try a set of the cup2s. This particular track is very abrasive, so I was expecting some damage, but not what I got. I can go through a rear slick on my bike is 3/4 a day if I'm on.... not what I'd like to do with the P-car tires tho.

Regarding the pads, I got a used set of the endurance Pagids. They were great. Last year I faded the stock pads after just a couple laps, these held up MUCH MUCH better.
I experienced ZERO fade of any kind, at any point with the Pagids, so I am curious where I will find the limit - or if there will be one. I forgot that I am also running the highest temp Motul brake fluid too so I'm sure that helps.

Back to tires, I loved the sport cups but I think I will try RE71-R once these SC2s wear out. They seem to be a little faster than the SC2 and are also a bit cheaper. I was really impressed with the M3 that was running them. I heard some years ago that some said they can get greasy with heat but that's not what I am seeing on the track. Those M3s are not light and he was definitely faster around the corners than me (though most of that was probably due to his coilovers vs my stock suspension).
Old 07-01-2020, 06:56 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
I experienced ZERO fade of any kind, at any point with the Pagids, so I am curious where I will find the limit - or if there will be one. I forgot that I am also running the highest temp Motul brake fluid too so I'm sure that helps.

Back to tires, I loved the sport cups but I think I will try RE71-R once these SC2s wear out. They seem to be a little faster than the SC2 and are also a bit cheaper. I was really impressed with the M3 that was running them. I heard some years ago that some said they can get greasy with heat but that's not what I am seeing on the track. Those M3s are not light and he was definitely faster around the corners than me (though most of that was probably due to his coilovers vs my stock suspension).
RBF-600 for me. Run it in my track bike and the 911. Stuff is amazing.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Yeah I am using either that or the 660.... forget which one. Love it though.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:11 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

**im eager to learn, I reread this and it kinda sounded like a D-bag, but I'm just not familiar with how driving style relates***

What do you mean to adjust my driving style? How will that help rebound settings and chunking of the tires?

I'm not the first to have experienced this. It's a well documented issue. And I'm all for getting better, but it's not as if I'm biting up just the rear sliding around or rolling over an edge over braking in the corners.. I don't know if a technique in driving to compensate for rebound settings?
Definitely not meant as you think it sounded. That’s the trouble with writing and texts. Leave too much to interpretation. I wasn't at all commenting on your skills or ability. I’ve been racing for 10 years and tracking street cars on track days and I can turn much faster laps with a lesser powered race car than a higher powered street car, like a 911, just because the manufacturer tunes the suspension for street use and long term wear. So I was only saying you need to adjust how you drive the car on track to preserve tires and make it go faster. Or you can make changes. If you make changes and don’t put them back for street use, you’ll have accelerated wear on the tires and suspension components. Pick your poison.

But yeah, street cars including the 911 are not set up for the track. Hence, why Porsche makes the GT versions.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:49 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Definitely not meant as you think it sounded. That’s the trouble with writing and texts. Leave too much to interpretation. I wasn't at all commenting on your skills or ability. I’ve been racing for 10 years and tracking street cars on track days and I can turn much faster laps with a lesser powered race car than a higher powered street car, like a 911, just because the manufacturer tunes the suspension for street use and long term wear. So I was only saying you need to adjust how you drive the car on track to preserve tires and make it go faster. Or you can make changes. If you make changes and don’t put them back for street use, you’ll have accelerated wear on the tires and suspension components. Pick your poison.

But yeah, street cars including the 911 are not set up for the track. Hence, why Porsche makes the GT versions.

Awesome. I came from Miata so I understand slow cars! 😂😂😂

I'm willing to make changes as time goes by, or until someone starts sponsoring me... anyone?

I have a hard time getting out on track and not going hard, but I agree with what you're saying. I've had to go through the progression in my motorcycle racing... racing is different that any street driving, even "hard street driving" as someone was asking about recently. I'd appreciate any help I can get. I'm ways to make the car better, or more importantly, make me a better driver. If you're somewhere close during a track event, I'd love to meet up and get some help!

Cw
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 PM
The_Driveway
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Been there, learned my lesson quickly! To fix this issue you will need to add negative camber or get on the brakes earlier so you don't cause the cupping with understeer. When you're scrubbing off speed while understeering this is what happens.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (07-02-2020)

Quick Reply: 997 track day thread