Help on removal of A pillar cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Help on removal of A pillar cover

I need to remove the A pillar cover. Anyone have experience/advice on how best to do it? Is it as simple as exert force to detach from clips?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 761 Posts

See the attached photos.

1. Pull out on the coat hanger clip above the seat belt.

2. Pull the trim above the door from the top inner surface at the back working forward.

3. When you reach the A pillar change sides on the trim and pull it back.

4. Once you get far enough down the power cord for the radar detector can route through (under) the rubber gasket and then behind the trim piece.

5. Once the power cord reaches the top feed it across the trim piece and under the head liner.

6. I wrap the cord with spiral wrap to keep it in the headliner but Velcro or other options can work as well. All you're doing is adding some collapsible diameter you the cord so it doesn't fall out the edge.

I couldn't attach the rubber trim shot due to file size. But I will see if I can reduce it and attach it later.
Attached Images    
Old 05-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

It may take a bump or two with the side off your fist to reseat things.
Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2020, 09:14 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it. Thanks
Old 05-18-2020, 09:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,526 Likes on 919 Posts

2009 C2S 154K miles

Boy this is really weird.... I just pulled mine off yesterday chasing a squeak.

Tip: When you remove the coat hangar, remove the Philips screw for the trim belt slider. Slide the belt down all the way, Then pull this trim piece out at bit... just from the top where you removed the Philips screw. This will give you a bit more room to pull the A pillar trim off. You don't need to do this but it makes things a bit easier.

My issue:.... getting a squeak just forward ... about 4 inches ... of the coat hangar. In my case, the two clips above the window were not fully seated. Odd..... I still could not get the clips to snap.... I had to stop as I was getting firm directions from a higher authority to come up for dinner. Gonna hit it again tomorrow... l triead really pounding it but could not get it to seat. I need to pull it out and look again.... there are metal tabs that just pull out but maybe they are crushed and not providing enough snap grip... or something.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-18-2020, 10:11 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Pulling trim pieces is easy. Putting them back together can be entirely different!!!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Pulling trim pieces is easy. Putting them back together can be entirely different!!!
Got the power cord replaced. I must have removed the A pillar cover when I first installed it since that's how the old power cord was routed. Don't recall (no surprise). The cover end next to the hanger does not appear to be seated fully. I'll play with that tomorrow. The wrists are too sore right now.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I had to pull my trim off a second time to straighten out the mounting tabs.

Doing this again I'd disconnect the battery first ... Not sure if pulling this trim has caused my airbag warning light to activate but I'm suspicious.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:04 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 154K miles

Boy this is really weird.... I just pulled mine off yesterday chasing a squeak.

Tip: When you remove the coat hangar, remove the Philips screw for the trim belt slider. Slide the belt down all the way, Then pull this trim piece out at bit... just from the top where you removed the Philips screw. This will give you a bit more room to pull the A pillar trim off. You don't need to do this but it makes things a bit easier.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Finally got around to trying to reseat the A-pillar cover at the back end. It was the last tab that was bent that wouldn't let it seat. It was your tip to loosen the seatbelt cover screw that made it much easier to see it, and to bend it into place.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Help on removal of A pillar cover