997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: 2005 Carrera S - Gen V LT1 Swap - Tiptronic to Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020 | 09:11 AM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Some minor updates. Got 99% of the wiring done, I was able to talk to the E92 computer now, so that's a plus. I was able to turn the engine over as well with the starter, so once the last fuel fitting arrives, I think I can dry fire it at least. Open headers and no coolant, but I just want to see if it starts before plumbing and filling the cooling system. As of now, it still only takes about 15 minutes to drop the engine. With coolant, it will take 30!

I found some other funny business with the G96 swap into a 997... The shifter cables need to be from a 996, different lengths. For the cross member, I moved it to the forward mounting holes as a lot of people who have done these swaps suggest. This caused the shifter arm to hit the floor of the car, not sure that would be a problem in a 996 or not. I moved the engine towards the rear of the car 1/4" and ever so slightly persuaded the spot on the floor to buy another 1/8 to 1/4" there. Now it has enough room to hit all 6 gears.

At this point, I've spent more time in the back seat than the front seat. But everything works as I want it, all wiring will be well integrated into the factory harness.

Driver's side valve cover. I think this engine might still be easier to change plugs than the 997 engine.

The advantages of having a mill/lathe never end... Vacuum fitting for the back of the intake manifold.

Installed. And permanently I think... it went in a little tighter than I thought!

Another fitting adapter. I ran a hard line from the high pressure fuel pump under the intake manifold, around the back of the engine, to this. Swagelok fitting for the hard line. This adapter has the low pressure (~80psi) fuel pressure sensor. From here it will be a 6AN PTFE line to the Porsche hardline.

Another fun adapter... This blocks the coolant outlet ports on the LT1 pump, but still allows crossover between them. You don't want them fully capped. The 4an fitting is just what I had on-hand... It's just a 1/8NPT plug from the hole I drilled to connect the two ports.

I tried to keep from modifying this cross member as much as possible. Unfortunately, a little had to be done. This is all in the end.

Random tech tip. Cutting the PTFE braided stainless line... I found a cold chisel works really well since I don't have the right cutters anyway. The chisel causes 0 fraying of the stainless. I've used cutoff wheels in the past, and they work OK, but this is better.
The following 2 users liked this post by superman22x:
BLU997 (08-12-2020), rdcyclist (11-02-2022)
Old 08-12-2020 | 09:15 AM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Question before I make a separate thread. It seems to be a common problem for the foam on the diverter flap to fail on these cars. Well that is happening to mine... It spent most of it's life in California. Has anyone performed a similar procedure on the 997 as the 996? It seems the HVAC system is likely similar, but maybe not the same...
Old 08-12-2020 | 11:01 AM
thedigitel
Track Day

Subscribed to see this build progress
Old 08-12-2020 | 06:32 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by superman22x

Random tech tip. Cutting the PTFE braided stainless line... I found a cold chisel works really well since I don't have the right cutters anyway. The chisel causes 0 fraying of the stainless. I've used cutoff wheels in the past, and they work OK, but this is better.
That's a cool tip, I have stored that in my head for future use. In the past when I made my own lines, I wrapped the cut point with electrical tape and basically hoped that the hose wouldn't fray when I cut it.
Old 08-12-2020 | 06:46 PM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
That's a cool tip, I have stored that in my head for future use. In the past when I made my own lines, I wrapped the cut point with electrical tape and basically hoped that the hose wouldn't fray when I cut it.
Yep, same here! The electrical tape helps with the chisel too.

Last edited by superman22x; 08-23-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2020 | 02:10 PM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Great news today! I got it to start and stay running. Of course, plenty of codes set right off the bat, I only ran it for 5 seconds or so due to not having coolant in the system. I initially had the high pressure fuel sensor wired incorrectly. There are two styles of systems for the LT engines, a 4 wire analog sensor (two redundant sensors in one) and a digital 3 wire sensor. I didn't check before installing, but my main harness was a 3 wire harness and my sensor is a 4 wire, along with the control system I am running. The intermediate connectors to the fuel system, a pair of ten pin connectors, do not change between the two systems, so I unknowingly plugged it all together thinking everything was happy. My fuel system harness came with the engine, and the main harness I bought on eBay. Once I added that wire, and repinned the main connectors, the fuel system is happy.

The remainder of codes are just due to no MAF installed, no O2 sensors installed, and no Engine coolant sensor installed. All that to come next. The main components left are the exhaust and cooling system. I wanted to make sure it started and ran with no issues outside of those things first. The fuel sensor was a pain due to being at the back of the engine for example, since there was no cooling system, it only took 20 minutes to drop the engine, no mess.
The following 3 users liked this post by superman22x:
93Jaffe (08-27-2020), BLU997 (08-24-2020), Jack667 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020 | 04:41 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Wow, Congrats! Post more pics please. Would love to see from all angles situated in the car.
Old 08-27-2020 | 08:38 AM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

I'll be sure to get more pictures as I get more details finalized. Been working on the exhaust recently. It's either OEM Chevy parts or thick 304 stainless. I'm still considering doing a ceramic coating. I've heard some (Jet-Hot) coatings do not last well. I need to do some more research. I think it would help keep underhood temps down significantly, which will help intake temps a lot.

While working on fitting the exhaust, I needed the bumper back on to make sure the tips are in the right spot... Perfect time for a picture with my custom plate.

The following 4 users liked this post by superman22x:
93Jaffe (08-27-2020), 997ajk (08-28-2020), BLU997 (09-23-2020), linderpat (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020 | 10:35 AM
93Jaffe
Racer

I am amazed how quickly this project is coming along. As always, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-27-2020 | 11:39 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it is something in the water, but I grew up Downriver and also love doing this kind of thing. I love that I have a mill and lathe in the garage too so I can fabricate anything I cannot or do not want to buy. Sometimes it is more fun just to make it yourself. Great thread even if I am a Mopar man. lol
Old 09-15-2020 | 12:12 PM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Minor updates. Working on the cooling system, and a little further on the exhaust. Cooling system is going to be made from stainless, since I can't weld aluminum... Unfortunately, my Hobart welder is now in for service, so it's on delay for a couple weeks.

I bought a badge off the "LT1" trim 2020 Camaro. The LT1 trim is basically a V8 Camaro without all the fancy brakes and suspension and interior from the SS. Excuse the filthy car... I've been considering a dust collector. And my cat has always been facinated by Porsches.
The following 2 users liked this post by superman22x:
997ajk (09-15-2020), rdcyclist (11-02-2022)
Old 09-15-2020 | 05:32 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Somebody reading this thread probably knows somebody at Hobart, could make a call and get you back into the project faster....for my sake because this has been a great journey to watch and the delay is a killer. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 09-23-2020 | 08:59 AM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Minor progress again. Still waiting on Hobart unfortunately. In the mean time, I started making the fittings needed to finish my cooling system.
I started working on my throttle body elbow mount. After making a flange and mocking it up... I decided it would be easier to run the throttle body in the stock location on the intake and just relocate the hood latch. It only needs to move 1" over or so... Some have run with none at all, but I plan to figure something out. It can drop to lower priority on the list for now.
​​
Couple side projects I worked on distracted me from the 997. Bought a leaf blower that, "needed carb work." Really it needed a full engine teardown and valve cleaning.

First time I cut stainless on the lathe. I'm very happy with it.

Just needs a carb cleaning... These stihl 4-mix engines are so simple yet elegant.
The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020 | 10:58 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Any bore scoring that you noticed in the Stihl?
Old 09-23-2020 | 11:09 AM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
Any bore scoring that you noticed in the Stihl?
Haha. No, thankfully cylinder is clean! Thankfully, not an M96/7 powered leaf blower. You'd need a wide back for that.

Quick Reply: Build Thread: 2005 Carrera S - Gen V LT1 Swap - Tiptronic to Manual Swap