Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tracker Review ---> Product Offered By RL Sponsor Anti-Gravity Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 12:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
For those that want the wifi capability for remote locations, Battery Tender makes one. Might not be as good as the anti-gravity but I am sure its fine for your beach house toys.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...attery-Monitor
I can't figure out what the green side is for. Can I plug the black side into the quick connector on the battery and then plug the charging cord from the Battery Tender into the green side at the same time. Obviously that should make the device show 100% essentially all the time, but then I could leave the monitor device attached all the time, like when I take a vehicle on vacation and could see if the charge status was falling at the hotel? Then never show anything connected to the green side either on the webpage or in the PDF instructions.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:15 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

I sent them an email asking the same question. Will let you know if they respond.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:04 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I can't figure out what the green side is for. Can I plug the black side into the quick connector on the battery and then plug the charging cord from the Battery Tender into the green side at the same time. Obviously that should make the device show 100% essentially all the time, but then I could leave the monitor device attached all the time, like when I take a vehicle on vacation and could see if the charge status was falling at the hotel? Then never show anything connected to the green side either on the webpage or in the PDF instructions.
I think the green side connector is for daisy-chain to the charger so you can monitor and charge at the same time.....there is a YouTube video

Update: Amazon review is pretty bad for this thing....I think I will stay away..

Last edited by lowbee; 01-26-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:38 PM
Mitch911
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Neat device. I had it installed in five minutes, downloaded the app, and it automatically connected, only to let me know that my battery voltage is at 12.19v, or 28%. Nice to have a reminder to connect the trickle charger once in a while.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:41 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Really like the concept of a wifi (vs BT) unit... maybe someone will intro one that has better reviews. I also noticed the Deltran doesn't play well with home mesh networks, which would eliminate it from my consideration.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:43 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Confirmed from support, that the green side is indeed for a battery trickle charger. They also indicated the setup issues are better with the app update. Although not available now, they are working on 5ghz/mesh compatabity. Sounds like it will be a new device though and not an update to this one which is a shame.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:30 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Found another one on Amazon that seems to have better review and has better availability in Canada so I think I might get this one

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-06-2021, 06:20 PM
Jimcana
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Tracker discussion

Thanks, Groovzilla, and all the others who have posted questions and comments regarding the Battery Tracker. I’ve owned this Porsche (’05 997.1 Carrera) since November 2018, and battery status always been a concern, probably because of the numerous postings on Rennlist. My concern has probably verged on paranoia, to the extent that I’ve been reluctant to venture out for more than an overnight trip for fear of my battery dying unexpectedly if I wasn’t able to figure out how to get a Battery Tender® plugged into a conveniently located outlet. So, after discovering this discussion I ordered the BT last Tuesday.

Two days later it arrived as promised. I hooked it up and installed the software on my phone, giving it all the “permissions” requested for the BT application to function including location, photos, files, etc. (Why it needs access to my files, photos, and friends as well as location is a bit puzzling/troubling. Also, the wires aren’t quite long enough to allow me to affix it to the side of my battery, so it sits right on top of it.) Having given the application permission to access my location I opened the application to check battery status. Nothing. No Bluetooth connection.

I was easily able to transmit a message to Antigravity Batteries directly from the BT software late that evening and sent a follow-up email message to Chad at Antigravity Batteries yesterday morning asking for help. Chad responded quickly and suggested checking my phone Settings including whether my phone’s basic location setting was turned on. I had mistakenly thought that once I gave the BT application permission to access my location that’s all I needed to do. I didn’t know that the phone’s basic location also had to be turned on. As soon as I turned it on the BT software operated instantly! Hooray. Problem solved. Thanks, Chad, Groovzilla and Rennlist posters for providing invaluable information for folks like I am, not just within this discussion but on the many other topics, as well. Checking my battery status is now almost as addictive as checking my email and text messages if not more so . . . but I turn my phone’s location setting “off” when not in use.

Prior Porsches
'64 356C
'58 or '59 Speedster (Can't remember which model year when I owned it over 40 years ago, Literally, a rust bucket)
'86 Carrera
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:21 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
Thumbs up How did I live without this product?

Oh man, stumbled across this thread by accident and bought the tracker. What a delightful item, so cleverly and nicely designed, and at such a good price!
Totally happy with it, and allows me to look at one more Porsche-related data stream all the time.

As a bonus, I now have a good reason for my wife that we need to leave our apartment building via the car garage, as I need to check the voltage in the car....

Thumbs up for AG!

Last edited by roadie13; 02-07-2021 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 04:04 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Thank you for the feedback and glad the Tracker is running smoothly now Jim, on a side note, those who might be located in Canada, We distribute through a company called Motovan for Canada and you can find a list of their direct resellers here.
https://motovan.com/en_CA/dealer-locator

Best regards,
Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 02-08-2021, 12:27 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

I finally got around to installing the Tracker on my '07 997S yesterday evening. I put in a brand new Champion AGM which I'd brought home from the store and placed on a smart charger to top off. The manufacturing date was 11/2020.

After installing and driving around a bit, I turned the car off and locked it. The reading was around 12.7 volts after settling down an hour or so later. At the time of this post, the next morning, it's reading 12.59 volts. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the % capacity reading, as it showed around 90% last night after shutting down, and now shows 98%. Car has not been on a charger.

Anyway, curious to know what others are seeing as a "rest state" voltage after inactivity for various times. I'm wanting to track down what causes the ridiculous parasitic drain these cars have.

Last edited by alwayswantedone; 02-08-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:57 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
.......After installing and driving around a bit, I turned the car off and locked it. The reading was around 12.7 volts after settling down an hour or so later. At the time of this post, the next morning, it's reading 12.59 volts. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the % capacity reading, as it showed around 90% last night after shutting down, and now shows 98%. Car has not been on a charger.......
So you are saying it reads 90% @ 12.7v but 98% @ 12.59v ? That doesn't sound right.

I have the battery monitor hooked up while it is on a charger. After my NOCO genius5 finished charging and left the battery at 13v, my car has been sitting for 8 days and now it reads 79% @ 12.48v. The log said the charger hasn't done anything for 8 days and I am still waiting for it to kick in (still wondering at what voltage it will do that)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:23 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowbee
So you are saying it reads 90% @ 12.7v but 98% @ 12.59v ? That doesn't sound right.

I have the battery monitor hooked up while it is on a charger. After my NOCO genius5 finished charging and left the battery at 13v, my car has been sitting for 8 days and now it reads 79% @ 12.48v. The log said the charger hasn't done anything for 8 days and I am still waiting for it to kick in (still wondering at what voltage it will do that)
Yes, that's correct. Maybe the % capacity function is calibrating itself or something. I haven't attached my Battery Tender to it as of yet. I want to see how much voltage drop the Tracker reports when the car's just sitting in the garage for a period TBD.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:25 AM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

As reported by Tracker:

Day 0 - 12.7V @ 90%
Day 1 - 12.59V @ 98%
Day 2 - 12.57V @ 93%
Old 02-09-2021, 11:31 AM
Mitch911
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I lose .01-.03V / day.

Quick Reply: Battery Tracker Review ---> Product Offered By RL Sponsor Anti-Gravity Batteries