Sponsored by:

PCM Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 04:52 PM
autobahnburner
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PCM Annoyance

Still loving my 997, but there's one "feature" that is driving me a little nuts. The radio presets don't save the station by frequency (like 102.7), but rather by whatever the station happens to be broadcasting through RDS at the exact moment I program the preset. So the presets are labeled with completely useless information. Here's a pic for reference. What station is "LACKBEAR"?? No idea! I've scoured these forums and the internet at large and can't figure this out. Surely there's a way to get the buttons to display the frequency. The car is a 2009 base 911 and the PCM firmware is version 1.47. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-21-2020, 05:16 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

my 2018 Mercedes GLS does the same thing, if that makes you feel any better.
The following users liked this post:
autobahnburner (04-22-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:26 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

This annoys me to no end too on my PCM 2.1...I assumed I'm the only one...
Old 04-21-2020, 05:39 PM
autobahnburner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FlatHat
This annoys me to no end too on my PCM 2.1...I assumed I'm the only one...
I searched a bunch on this forum expecting to find all sorts of posts about this, but from what I can see it's barely been mentioned. Surprising!
Old 04-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 154K miles

Mine does not do that..... I get the frequency numbers. I recommend a reset. I know of no secret buttons to push, but there is somewhere in there, a menu item for factory settings. Give it a try... maybe there is a bit flipped in there somewhere.

Try INFO OPTION SETPCM RESET choose either Factory or Handover....... Handover is the big reset.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-21-2020, 07:29 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

I think lots of people have been frustrated with the OEM PCM
My car has the upgraded Bluetooth Kenwood CM with Backup Camera.
Really love it.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:11 PM
autobahnburner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 154K miles

Mine does not do that..... I get the frequency numbers. I recommend a reset. I know of no secret buttons to push, but there is somewhere in there, a menu item for factory settings. Give it a try... maybe there is a bit flipped in there somewhere.

Try INFO OPTION SETPCM RESET choose either Factory or Handover....... Handover is the big reset.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Yeah, I've tried doing the full reset - vehicle handover - where it resets everything and deletes all data that's been input. And I've checked every setting I can think of. No luck. Do you know the firmware version you're running? I'm wondering if an update fixes this.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2020, 09:14 PM
autobahnburner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I think lots of people have been frustrated with the OEM PCM
My car has the upgraded Bluetooth Kenwood CM with Backup Camera.
Really love it.
Which model Kenwood? I want to keep the PCM if possible, but between this minor issue with the presets and absolutely no luck getting my phone to connect through bluetooth or a cable, I might make the switch. I'm just worried that I'll lose other functionality, since the PCM is fairly integrated.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:20 PM
AIrey1507
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Only suggestion I've seen to get around this is to go somewhere like an underground parking garage where you get virtually no FM signal. If the signal is too weak, you will not get the RDS information. If you go to the desired station (likely will just hear static) and there is no RDS data, you can save the preset and it will populate with just the frequency number.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:59 PM
autobahnburner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AIrey1507
Only suggestion I've seen to get around this is to go somewhere like an underground parking garage where you get virtually no FM signal. If the signal is too weak, you will not get the RDS information. If you go to the desired station (likely will just hear static) and there is no RDS data, you can save the preset and it will populate with just the frequency number.
Actually already tried that. The buttons initially displayed just the frequency and I thought all was good. Then when I left the garage and changed the station, the button I pressed automatically reset to whatever the RDS was broadcasting. This happened with the first press of every button. I'm thinking this is just something I'll have to live with, unless I find out a firmware update fixes it.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Coupla items....

The PCM in the 997.2 is a completely different animal than the 997.1 true for one is not for the other..... so beware. I tried to replace it and had a mess of trouble.... in short, my very reputable dealer gave me all my money back and reinstalled the old system... could not get the alternator whine out. I did replace all of the speakers with focal units... did it my self... a ton of work that included making little panels and a dremel.... argh.... VERY limited gain in quality.

For your problem..... I would really try and find a way to do a real hard reset and I assume your tried.... I looked going back and no one found the magic set of buttons to push. So.... maybe what I would try.... is remove the unit... unplug the power... and let it drain for a few weeks..... Another is eBay... find another unit.

Becker in NJ is the repair place in the USA (it is a German Becker unit despite the Bose labels all over everything)... I have contacted them in the past and they would not answer any question I put to them other than "send it in" with some base estimate of over $600. Maybe if you call them and beg, they will tell you if there is a secret way to reset the unit.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

https://www.beckerautosound.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 509 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by autobahnburner
The car is a 2009 base 911 and the PCM firmware is version 1.47.
Latest version is v2.24. Try to ask your local dealer nicely to do the update for you. Otherwise they will do the software update when you update the navigation maps which you have to purchase and also pay for the install at the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
autobahnburner (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 08:41 PM
autobahnburner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Coupla items....

The PCM in the 997.2 is a completely different animal than the 997.1 true for one is not for the other..... so beware. I tried to replace it and had a mess of trouble.... in short, my very reputable dealer gave me all my money back and reinstalled the old system... could not get the alternator whine out. I did replace all of the speakers with focal units... did it my self... a ton of work that included making little panels and a dremel.... argh.... VERY limited gain in quality.

For your problem..... I would really try and find a way to do a real hard reset and I assume your tried.... I looked going back and no one found the magic set of buttons to push. So.... maybe what I would try.... is remove the unit... unplug the power... and let it drain for a few weeks..... Another is eBay... find another unit.

Becker in NJ is the repair place in the USA (it is a German Becker unit despite the Bose labels all over everything)... I have contacted them in the past and they would not answer any question I put to them other than "send it in" with some base estimate of over $600. Maybe if you call them and beg, they will tell you if there is a secret way to reset the unit.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

https://www.beckerautosound.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Very good info. Thank you, sir. As a workaround, I've discovered that most stations will eventually broadcast something on RDS that clearly identifies which station it is. I just have to tune to that station and wait for the RDS feed to scroll through, then immediately program the button. Not ideal, but now I can at least tell which button goes to which station.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

BTW, some have done the same speaker swap as I did and love it. Others swapped out the whole system and are happy...... neither are my experiences.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: PCM Annoyance