Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Shifter for 997.2 manual - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020 | 06:57 PM
Trumbo
AutoX

Default Heavy Shifter for 997.2 manual - worth it?

Hey All,

I am considering an aftermarket heavier shift **** for my 997.2 2C manual. I’ve installed the short shifter and read that the heavier shifter **** helps with the shifting, is this what anyone has experienced? I was looking at some of the Function First *****.

Thanks
Trumbo
Old 04-04-2020 | 06:59 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trumbo
Hey All,

I am considering an aftermarket heavier shift **** for my 997.2 2C manual. I’ve installed the short shifter and read that the heavier shifter **** helps with the shifting, is this what anyone has experienced? I was looking at some of the Function First *****.

Thanks
Trumbo
Yes, totally worth it. I went with one of the heavy weighted shifters from Raceseng. I have always been a fan of weighted shifters in my manuals. My car has the Numeric Racing short shifter combined with the heavy Raceseng ****. It's delightful!
Old 04-04-2020 | 08:29 PM
Trumbo
AutoX

Ripking, which setup did you get? Thanks
Old 04-04-2020 | 11:13 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

I got the "Slammer" shape. It was one of the heavier ones and I felt that the shape of it would suit the various shifting styles that I have. See which shape you like the most, there's a couple different weights that they have but several shapes in each weight if I recall. The gloss black is the finish I got with the shift pattern engraving. It looks and feels nice in the hand, it has a very upscale feel in my opinion. Function First **** is also very nice and has more of a retro feel if that's what you're after.
Old 04-05-2020 | 10:54 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

These look super nice. I just ordered a "Contour" to go with the Numeric I have on order. It's a bit lighter at 500g vs. 635 for your Slammer. I'll make sure to drive the Numeric a bit with the stock lever before I try it out to get a good comparison. Looking forward to it!
Old 04-06-2020 | 12:47 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
These look super nice. I just ordered a "Contour" to go with the Numeric I have on order. It's a bit lighter at 500g vs. 635 for your Slammer. I'll make sure to drive the Numeric a bit with the stock lever before I try it out to get a good comparison. Looking forward to it!
Curious to hear what you think. Install was fairly straight forward and instructions were easy to follow.i had my car with the stock **** for awhile before switching and it was an immediately noticeable change for me.
Old 04-06-2020 | 11:56 AM
Trumbo
AutoX

I really like the Raceseng *****, but now I'm trying to decide which one to pick. Decisions, decisions...
Old 04-17-2020 | 10:18 PM
Trumbo
AutoX

This is the Raceseng Sphereology shifter I decided on and installed. There are a lot of heavy shifters available but I couldn’t be happier with my choice. The shifts are definitely more positive and the feel is great. I think a heavy shifter should be standard equipment, it’s that much of an improvement to me. My 2cents.

Old 04-17-2020 | 11:22 PM
AtotheJZA70
Intermediate

In my Supra, I had a short shifter that was 60% less throw and was notchy. I moved to a weighted shift **** and it was better, until I found a tall and weighted ****, IIRC it weighed 1kg. It also put the shifter handle closer to the steering wheel which meant less time spent moving my hand off the steering wheel and shifting. It made my shifter feel really nice. If my TT was manual, I'd definitely consider it again. Here's a pic in my Supra.

Old 04-18-2020 | 12:39 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

I had a heavy RaceSeng (don't remember the model, iirc it was one of the heaviest options) in my Turbo with Numeric shifter/cables for a bit but was surprised to find I didn't really prefer it to the stock ****. The heft was satisfying at first but I found myself missing the more lively tactile feeling I got through the lighter OEM ****. The weighted one just felt a little too "dead" or dulled in a sense. Maybe I should try it again with one of the less heavy versions
Old 04-18-2020 | 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Trumbo
Hey All,

Thanks
Trumbo
Just curious what issues you're having with the shifting since you say you need something to "help" with it. I say this since I had a B&B short shift kit installed in my long gone -06 C4S. I had the dealership do the install and the tech who did the work said it took three test drives before he was happy with it. Small adjustments of the cables each time.

When I picked the car up it was absolute perfection. I think the throw was about 35% shorter and the shifting was as smooth and exact as to exceed my expectations. I could shift that thing through all the gears with two finger tips even before warmed up. That's why I'm wondering what kind of issues you're having. A lot of guys have done SSK installs themselves with mixed results. Cable adjustments done just right seems critical. When my dealership's master tech needs three test drives to get it just right it sort of gives you an idea that this is nothing you do on a whim and hope it turns out ok.

Just my opinion based on the above. If you need a heavier shift **** to help with the shifting, something's not right.
Old 04-18-2020 | 11:40 AM
Trumbo
AutoX

Hi Sandwedge, you make a great point that I haven’t heard before. I’ve seen how they use the adjustment tool which I did but I still find first hard to find sometimes. I may look into the dealer for a try. I’ve have taken my car to two shops to check out the clutch and shifter but neither had a concern with it (before the shifter ****). My only issue is going into first gear at a stop sign, stop light. I tend to have to double clutch it sometimes. I’ve read others having that issue too. Maybe the techs that looked at it weren’t as experienced with shifter adjusting. I still have the first gear issue with my heavy ****, though reduced, and the other gears go in without any issue as they always have. I just like how it wants to shift into 2nd on. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-18-2020 | 06:44 PM
Trumbo
AutoX

That’s interesting about the long shifter, another person had a similar experience. Thanks
Old 06-07-2020 | 04:27 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

So...when the chips were down, I did not in fact try the Numeric with the stock **** before putting the Raceseng **** on. The Numeric parts took about three or forever to get here, due to COVID breaking their supply chain. So, having already exhausted my patience, yesterday and today I replaced shifter, shift cables, and ****. And then just for good measure I drained the transmission and refilled with PTX. Obviously then it was time to go drive it like I stole it.

Wow. I mean just wow. The **** feels fantastic, the shifter even more so. All the people around here talking about "bolt action rifle" feel are not kidding even a little bit. Perfect drop into every gear, nice short-but-not-too-short throws (I used the middle hole in the Numeric as recommended to start...I won't be changing it), and absolutely no balking into first which was pretty common previously. I haven't driven a bunch of supercars or anything, but this is a level of precision that I have never experienced on any car before.

As for the points about adjustment raised above, I didn't have any problem at all. Numeric has a short Youtube video on the subject which is straightforward enough and doesn't involve any special tooling. I basically followed that and just made sure that everything was straight and had full travel. It's possible that it's easier when you're replacing the whole system vs. swapping a shifter using preexisting cables. Or maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, highly recommend the Numeric kit for anybody even sort of thinking about it. And that Raceseng **** feels great too.
Old 06-08-2020 | 02:52 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
So...when the chips were down, I did not in fact try the Numeric with the stock **** before putting the Raceseng **** on. The Numeric parts took about three or forever to get here, due to COVID breaking their supply chain. So, having already exhausted my patience, yesterday and today I replaced shifter, shift cables, and ****. And then just for good measure I drained the transmission and refilled with PTX. Obviously then it was time to go drive it like I stole it.

Wow. I mean just wow. The **** feels fantastic, the shifter even more so. All the people around here talking about "bolt action rifle" feel are not kidding even a little bit. Perfect drop into every gear, nice short-but-not-too-short throws (I used the middle hole in the Numeric as recommended to start...I won't be changing it), and absolutely no balking into first which was pretty common previously. I haven't driven a bunch of supercars or anything, but this is a level of precision that I have never experienced on any car before.

As for the points about adjustment raised above, I didn't have any problem at all. Numeric has a short Youtube video on the subject which is straightforward enough and doesn't involve any special tooling. I basically followed that and just made sure that everything was straight and had full travel. It's possible that it's easier when you're replacing the whole system vs. swapping a shifter using preexisting cables. Or maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, highly recommend the Numeric kit for anybody even sort of thinking about it. And that Raceseng **** feels great too.
Thank you sir! Really appreciate the great feedback!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223

Quick Reply: Heavy Shifter for 997.2 manual - worth it?