Sponsored by:

Get another truck she said...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 PM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Get another truck she said...

Had a couple situations converge that would require a lot more road time. Have an already high mileage truck and the wife suggested replacing it with another since there's usually one around, so I decided the only sensible thing was to get a used foreign luxury sports car, and my first Porsche. I like to keep her guessing from time to time cause it's just sad when the male loses control of the marital dynamic.

The buy was a 09 997.2 base Carrera launch car with pdk. It started as a two year Colorado lease then was sold by the leasing dealer to a retired Doc who brought it to Florida. There she lived the quiet life of a garage queen, racking up 13K miles. The maintenance history was a basic story told through a few dealer receipts and the Carfax: oil, filters, tires, brake fluid, battery and battery cable replacement. In going through the glove box I came across an old registration. Tracked down the Doc and called to ask for any history and why he decided to sell the car. He said, ‘Son, I’m 85 years old and was having a hard time getting out of the car.’ I hope one day to be able to say the same.

A year later she now has 41K miles. Similar maintenance, oil, filters, pdk fluid, rear tires (PS 4) The fronts are Conti ECS which are pretty good tires all around, but they seem to have hardened a bit with age. Doing the oil changes myself and put the savings into the Gibbs DI40. Added grill guard screens after an $800 a/c evaporator leak due to road debris - gotta work on my timing. Also added the Fabspeed x pipe center muffler delete. Plugs, fluids flush and front tires are next. Idle is steady. Does not burn oil between changes. Everything works fine inside and out. No unusual noises or smoke on start up.

The car is simply amazing. The harder it’s pushed the better it responds. The pdk on occasion will have a hard shift between 1st and 2nd gear on the first shift of the day, and shifts fine thereafter. The tranny overall seems to respond best to a firm foot to the gas. The plan was to put a couple years in to set a baseline then either upgrade suspension, headers/muffler and ECU flash or PASM, or sell it and go 4S or turbo. But also in no hurry, still catch myself looking back when walking away. The honeymoon may be over, but we are still in love.

Just got my first oil analysis and was a bothered by the dilution and metal figures. The water seems unusual to me as the oil looks fine and have not needed to top off the radiator tank. I drive in a high humidity environment, so wonder if that could account for it. Not having any ranges to compare the figures is annoying. Would appreciate any feedback from those with some experience reading these:

Have learned a lot from the forum, so appreciate anyone taking the time to respond. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2020, 10:33 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Well done - I too have a 2009 base Carrera with pdk (and carbon ceramics) its a fantastic car!

Enjoy!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

I think I would drive it and get another oil change, this time at 5,000 miles. UOA mostly makes sense when you have several sample sets. There is always a little variation for a whole host of reasons, most of which are pretty meaningless. What you are looking for is an extended trend over several oil changes. So just get it changed a little sooner -- 5,000 miles is a good compromise between obsessively short and perhaps too long.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

The only thing I don't like on that report is the fuel dilution as it could point to an injector that's leaking and if that happens it can wash the oil from the cylinder walls and contribute to bore scoring, which really seems to be the only potential issue with the 997 2 cars. Everything else in that report looks great. 7,000 miles is too long an interval though. As others have suggested, move to a 5,000 mile change interval and also get the TAN and TBN numbers done with the UOA (usually costs a little extra).
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 PM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Shorter change interval, and replacing the injectors with the plugs is on the list. I hear 'usually costs a little extra', a lot with this car Prices seem to be all over the place for injectors.
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

Quick Reply: Get another truck she said...