Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 09:50 AM
varden
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

My 2006 S Cab keeps leaking coolant onto the garage floor. It has dumped about 3 gallons over time. I put a pan under to catch it. I empty the pan, then later depending on the weather, the leak continues. I don't drive it. Any ideas what the problem is and how much for repair?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Let's see. Fourteen year car that you don't drive, prolly with original coolant hoses and piping. You're not going to know cost until you drain and disassemble. Classic case of "while you're in there." Plan for new water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, idler pulleys, expansion tank, coolant. The whole nine yards. Cost will depend whether you DIY or have it done. I can easily see a $2K invoice from a decent shop, maybe more at a dealership. Cut that in half if you DIY.

Whole process starts with getting the car up and doing a pressure test. That'll show where the major leaks are. You can either patch it piecemeal or replace parts prospectively. Me, I don't like having to do double work, especially with messy coolant jobs.

Last edited by swingwing; 03-25-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added wording.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:22 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I assume you are re-filling it occasionally?

Is your coolant overflow tank empty when you go to re-fill it? If so, and you're not driving the car, then I would assume your overflow tank has split and start by replacing that.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Why does the metal of your engine above the oil pan look so corroded and lumpy or is it because it had layers of dried coolant crust on it? We need some better photos from under the car. Stick your phone under there with the flash turned on and take some additional pictures.

Probably the seals on the water pump have shrink from lack of use and it needs to be replaced.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

OP hasn't mentioned where he lives but looking at the corrosion pictured I say it's somewhere in Salt Country.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak