Sponsored by:

High pitched squeak at ~1500rpm under load

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 10:12 PM
ccdoggy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SergeSF
My concern is that this was not present at all for the first 3000mi that I had the car. And it's quite loud, too. It does go away if I press on the gas. If I run through the rev range from a dead stop you won't hear it either (for long, at least).
Interesting, I purchased my '09 2 years ago and I seem to remember it always being there but did nothing about it till my extended warranty was expiring for a final once over at the dealership. As much as possible the top is down which makes it very apparent if no music is playing, have just chalked it up to a nuance of the car and normal. I figured it was something in the intake path causing the sound as it seemed to be based on throttle position / air flow rate. Tomorrow if I get a chance I will see about re-creating while idle, maybe we have the same thing though maybe not.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:54 AM
Slow_997
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 40 Posts

Does your car have pse? My car had the same issue it was a cracked weld on one of the exhaust bands that hold it in place was so annoying and common.. I almost 100% can guarantee this is what your experiencing $20 fix

Old 04-26-2020, 03:42 PM
SergeSF
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow_997
Does your car have pse? My car had the same issue it was a cracked weld on one of the exhaust bands that hold it in place was so annoying and common.. I almost 100% can guarantee this is what your experiencing $20 fix
No PSE, have a Fister bypass. I'll check all the welds on the exhaust just to make sure. One thing I've noticed is that I can hear it a bit at idle now. Should make it easier to diagnose.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 AM
Slow_997
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 40 Posts

Any update on this ?
Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 PM
SergeSF
Intermediate

Haven't checked the exhaust yet, but getting a new serp belt today so I'll try replacing that (original belt already at the recommended replacement interval). Will update later tonight.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:15 PM
SergeSF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slow_997
Any update on this ?
Checked the exhaust, no cracks on the connection bar between the two pipes (or anywhere). Changed out the serp belt to a new contibelt, no difference. Since I've been able to hear it without load now, I will try to probe around for the sound.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:48 PM
SergeSF
Intermediate

Update: I removed my Fabspeed CF intake and threw in my stock airbox. Now there is no more squeak (I checked to make sure the Fabspeed intake was not rubbing on anything that would cause the sound). This leads me to believe that the stock airbox is masking the sound, not that the Fabspeed intake was the cause of it.

As a test, at idle I opened the oil filler cap and the engine started to idle high and rough. I could also hear a loud hiss towards the right side of the firewall where the AOS is, so that might very well be the cause. Idled so rough that it triggered a CEL (fuel trim out of bounds). Will grab a manometer and check (over 5 inches = bad?).
Old 05-10-2020, 09:58 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

According to Tony Callas - The proper reading for a healthy AOS is 5" of water column, and this can vary up to about 6" and the unit still be ok. If the values are higher than this, then the AOS is failing.

The value is elevation dependent. I think the 5" is at sea level. The equivalent in Raleigh, NC is 5.5" (according to my notes).
Old 05-10-2020, 11:54 PM
SergeSF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jchapura
According to Tony Callas - The proper reading for a healthy AOS is 5" of water column, and this can vary up to about 6" and the unit still be ok. If the values are higher than this, then the AOS is failing.

The value is elevation dependent. I think the 5" is at sea level. The equivalent in Raleigh, NC is 5.5" (according to my notes).
Thanks for the tip. I'm at sea level, so I'll start with that as baseline. Waiting to get a new oil cap and a manometer.

Quick Reply: High pitched squeak at ~1500rpm under load