Sponsored by:

Hello from SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 01:03 PM
AtotheJZA70
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hello from SoCal

Pulled the trigger on our first P car for my wife and I. We came across what looks to be a great deal and a compromise with my wife.

But first off, we’re no strangers to fast cars. I come from the Japanese tuner world, preferably Toyota, whereas my wife has always been into Mercedes. I’ve owned and built my share of Supras as well as worked on and helped build a lot of high horsepower cars. I’ve seen track time, but mostly have been a mountain driver and a late night highway runner. My wife has driven her share of AMGs from C to S and is looking into something a little more fun. Our current garage is a 17 Lexus RCF and a 13 Mercedes GL450 (because of our daughter). We were originally looking into a new GR Supra or an E63 / CLS63. Until we came across this:

2009 Turbo. Original owner (Even have the receipt for the down payment lol), dealer maintained (Previous owner is getting service records for us), 33k miles, Tiptronic. $60k.

What are the not so obvious things to look out for? Looks pretty clean, has a ding on the drivers side rear wheel well and the front lip is a little scraped up. My buddy said to take it to the Dealership in Irvine for a PPI. What do you guys think? I’ll snap some more pics when I get home from work.

-AJ
The following users liked this post:
MeteorMark (03-19-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 01:07 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

perfect SoCal car.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:12 PM
AtotheJZA70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheTorch
perfect SoCal car.
Thanks!

couldn't make heads or tails of the decoder here, but I found this and looks to be pretty accurate. I also haven’t noticed the parking sensors go off, are there sensors or is it just a typo from the decoder?

Old 03-18-2020, 02:45 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Beautiful car.
Get a PPI. I bought a 2009 turbo cab last June with 33k miles.Hoses and belts could need replacement. Did it have the 30k mile service?
At this point water pump might go anytime. They are good for about 50k miles or 10 years or so.Mine went a few months ago.Other than that a PPI should reveal most other issues.
I have put 9k miles since buying and love the car.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:37 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 118 Posts

Beautiful car. I love white, and with those matching seat backs and chrono dial, that one is very stunning.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:02 PM
gary1101
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to the fold. I have a 2008 Turbo and love it. I primarily use mine for PCA events(driving events with food involved afterwards). The LAPCA is probably the most active but Santa Barbara, Grand Prix, Orange Coast and San Diego Regions have great events also. The last ride was on the Angeles Crest Highway to Newcomb's Ranch for breakfast with about 25 cars.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:42 AM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Do it!

She’s a beauty!

get a PPI to put your mind at ease but from your description and pics it looks like you found a nice one.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2020, 02:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by AtotheJZA70
What are the not so obvious things to look out for? Looks pretty clean, has a ding on the drivers side rear wheel well and the front lip is a little scraped up. My buddy said to take it to the Dealership in Irvine for a PPI. What do you guys think? I’ll snap some more pics when I get home from workJ

Very, very nice. Looks like a perfect choice for what you and your wife want Only thing I would look for is whether or not the dealership in Irvine doing the PPI is the same dealership that's maintained the car for the current owner. I think most would agree that you may not get the best and the most objective PPI if it's done by a dealership with perhaps a longtime relationship with the current owner.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:06 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bschurr
She’s a beauty!

get a PPI to put your mind at ease but from your description and pics it looks like you found a nice one.

Good luck!
Actually, the OP already bought the car. so PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) is a moot point now. Just drive and enjoy the car as is.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:15 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Congrats! White 997's look so good. JZA70, let see that Supra.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:06 PM
AtotheJZA70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jaskfri
Beautiful car.
Get a PPI. I bought a 2009 turbo cab last June with 33k miles.Hoses and belts could need replacement. Did it have the 30k mile service?
At this point water pump might go anytime. They are good for about 50k miles or 10 years or so.Mine went a few months ago.Other than that a PPI should reveal most other issues.
I have put 9k miles since buying and love the car.
Owner said she serviced it about a month ago, so maybe. She’s trying to find all the service paperwork to give to us.

Originally Posted by anewman
Beautiful car. I love white, and with those matching seat backs and chrono dial, that one is very stunning.
Thank you, a lot of the car is color matched. I just wish it was a coupe.

Originally Posted by gary1101
Welcome to the fold. I have a 2008 Turbo and love it. I primarily use mine for PCA events(driving events with food involved afterwards). The LAPCA is probably the most active but Santa Barbara, Grand Prix, Orange Coast and San Diego Regions have great events also. The last ride was on the Angeles Crest Highway to Newcomb's Ranch for breakfast with about 25 cars.
​​​​​​​That’s great to know! I’m probably going to try to head out to Laguna Seca when my Miata buddies for their annual track meet. But I’m not sure how tough it will be since it’s not 6spd.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Very, very nice. Looks like a perfect choice for what you and your wife want Only thing I would look for is whether or not the dealership in Irvine doing the PPI is the same dealership that's maintained the car for the current owner. I think most would agree that you may not get the best and the most objective PPI if it's done by a dealership with perhaps a longtime relationship with the current owner.
​​​​​​​Her dealership is too far. I’ve found a shop that will do a PPI that’s local. I just want a little more reassurance and to know what I’ll be looking at. We’ve agreed that the next one will be manual though.

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Congrats! White 997's look so good. JZA70, let see that Supra.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (03-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Hello from SoCal